Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Hey, where all da lakers goin?
rickheel Offline
The Old Bastard

I Root For: Heels
Donators

Friday, June 18, 2004

ESPN.com news services

Coach Phil Jackson might not be the only one leaving the Los Angeles Lakers.

The team's two biggest stars, Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant, looked Friday as if they could be playing elsewhere next season.

O'Neal has requested a trade, ESPN.com's Marc Stein has learned. And as expected, Bryant chose to opt out of his contract and officially will become an unrestricted free agent July 1.

O'Neal told the Los Angeles Times he was no longer happy with the team's direction, saying it had changed in the years since former general manager Jerry West left and took the job of president with the Memphis Grizzlies.

Jackson, who won three straight championships with the team, agreed with Lakers owner Jerry Buss to end his tenure as coach, the team said in a statement.

Jackson's departure was expected even before he met with Buss after the coach's participation in season-ending interviews with several players earlier in the day.

There could be several less-expected changes to follow.

Karl Malone has already opted out of his contract, although he hopes to play for the Lakers if healthy.

Gary Payton and Derek Fisher could follow Bryant and Malone and opt out of their deals. However, Payton reportedly is less likely to leave now that Jackson is going and Fisher seems to be having trouble deciding.

General manager Mitch Kupchak made clear the team's priorities Thursday when he said the Lakers would do anything they need to keep Bryant and would try to accommodate O'Neal if he demands a trade.

Apparently upset over Kupchak's remarks, O'Neal canceled his exit interview on Friday. O'Neal, who has been one of Jackson's biggest supporters, is under contract for two more years but could opt out after next season.

"When I was brought here by Jerry West, there was a team concept. ... It was something I wanted to be a part of," the Times quoted O'Neal on its Web site Friday night. "Now no one cares. I told you I'm all about winning championships. Now the organization is different. It seems right now they're trying to pit one person against another."

Kupchak said the Lakers will offer Bryant the maximum allowed -- seven years and more than $140 million. That's a lot more money and one year longer than any other team can offer.

O'Neal, Bryant and Fisher all joined the Lakers in 1996. Bryant had his differences with Jackson, especially over the triangle offense employed by Jackson.

Aaron Goodwin, Payton's agent, told ESPN's David Aldridge late Friday night that Jackson's departure makes it likely that his client will not opt out of his contract after all. Payton has until next week to decide whether to forgo the second year of his deal, which would pay him $5.4 million, and become a free agent.

Goodwin told Aldridge in a telephone interview that Jackson's departure -- because it means the likely demise of the triangle offense -- would make Payton more amenable to staying in Los Angeles. Payton made no secret of his dislike of the triangle throughout the season. His frustrations seemed to crest during the Finals, when he had little opportunity to attack Detroit guard Chauncey Billups -- who ultimately was named the Finals' Most Valuable Player.

O'Neal's stated desire for a trade could tip the scales back toward leaving for Payton, however.

"This whole Shaquille O'Neal thing becomes a different situation," Goodwin told Aldridge, "because Shaq was the one who recruited Gary to come there. And Karl [Malone] too, for that matter."

Goodwin did not say whether Payton would still want to remain with the team if O'Neal were traded.

Payton refused comment after his exit interview Friday.

Fisher had until Saturday to make a decision regarding his contract situation, but it was extended to next Thursday. He will earn $3 million with the Lakers if he doesn't opt out.

"There's a lot of emotions right now," Fisher said. "I talked to my agent 20 times yesterday trying to figure out what to do, how to make the decision."

That was before the date was extended.

"I think Derek has got a lot of value," said Fisher's agent, Mark Bartlestein. "We're going to try to come up with a deal that pays him what he's worth."

Bartlestein wouldn't elaborate.

"At the root of it, there's no question about me wanting to be here," Fisher said. "This is my life, basically, for eight years."

Fisher joined the Lakers in 1996 -- the same year as O'Neal and Bryant.

Fisher and Bryant joked and exchanged hugs as they left.

"There are so many question marks regarding our future, the total direction of this team," Fisher said. "I don't want to make a decision just to please everybody. Basically, this decision determines the rest of my career."

Fisher said Kupchak told him he would love to have him finish his career with the Lakers.

"That says a lot," Fisher said. "There's no question the Lakers would love to have me back. I would love to be back. Hopefully we can find some common ground. Business is business."

Fisher could opt out and sign with the Lakers and return for substantially more money. He has also made it known he wants to at least be able to compete for a starting job. Payton took Fisher's starting job when he joined the Lakers this season.

Malone, who opted out of his contract Wednesday, is expected to learn the severity of the knee injury he sustained during the finals in the next couple of weeks.

"They've got to let the swelling go down," Malone's agent, Dwight Manley, said Friday. "The Lakers have so many other issues going on, it's probably good for Karl to sit back and see what's going on before he decides what he's going to do."

Malone, who turns 41 next month, has said he would only play with the Lakers and only if he's 100 percent healthy.
06-19-2004 03:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TDMs Alias Name Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Just a bunch of prima donna cry babies!

If Phil couldn't win the championship with that (allegded) talent pool then he should go. But then again with so many stars and no concensus leader on the team they were doomed.............
06-19-2004 08:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SDSundevil Offline
1st String

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

The rumor in SoCal is Jackson and O'Neal are headed to the NY Knicks

:eek: :eek: :eek:
06-20-2004 01:10 PM
Hardcore Husky Offline
1st String

I Root For:

I heard that too! :eek: 04-rock
06-20-2004 01:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Laettners Legacy Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Duke Blue Devil

they are goin to hell!
06-20-2004 01:50 PM
Hardcore Husky Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Laettner's Legacy Wrote:they are goin to hell!
Thats great!
06-20-2004 02:08 PM
Advertisement

Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU

SDSundevil Wrote:The rumor in SoCal is Jackson and O'Neal are headed to the NY Knicks

:eek: :eek: :eek:
I wouldn't be surprised, especially in O'Neal's case. Shaq (as well as others) loves large cosmopolitan cities that have a massive "celebrity" base. If L.A. isn't for him, NYC seems the next-best viable location. I can't see Shaq and Phil taking up residence in a Minnesota or Memphis.
06-20-2004 03:56 PM
cbfranchise3 Offline
All American

I Root For:
Crappies

Shaq is staying, Kobe is staying, Payton is staying

Phil is gone, Fisher is probably gone, so is Fox

Malone changes his mind every day
06-20-2004 07:21 PM
moloch_322 Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawt chix & UCF
Crappies

Shaq is coming back to Orlando as a trade for Tracy McBaby.
06-20-2004 07:27 PM
Terpy Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

cbfranchise3 Wrote:Shaq is staying, Kobe is staying, Payton is staying

Fisher isnt going anywhere and Fox is going to retire, Malone should too.
06-20-2004 07:57 PM
cbfranchise3 Offline
All American

I Root For:
Crappies

Terpy Wrote:

Fisher isnt going anywhere and Fox is going to retire, Malone should too.
Why would Fisher stay and play behind Payton?
06-20-2004 08:01 PM
Advertisement

tysramm1 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

you really think shaq is staying, i dont know if another year with kobe and shaq is possible
06-20-2004 09:11 PM
Tasha Offline
All American

I Root For:

I really hope they end up on different teams...I'm getting tired of hearing about them together. 03-puke

Tasha
06-20-2004 09:14 PM
Terpy Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

cbfranchise3 Wrote:Why would Fisher stay and play behind Payton?
Why would Payton stay and play behind Fisher? :rolltide:

If Phil does indeed retire/quit Payton is probably going to stay but, unlike this previous season he is going to have to earn his starting spot. Fisher loves it in LA, if it is up to him he aint leavin.
06-20-2004 11:50 PM
cbfranchise3 Offline
All American

I Root For:
Crappies

Terpy Wrote:
cbfranchise3 Wrote:Why would Fisher stay and play behind Payton?
Why would Payton stay and play behind Fisher? :rolltide:

If Phil does indeed retire/quit Payton is probably going to stay but, unlike this previous season he is going to have to earn his starting spot. Fisher loves it in LA, if it is up to him he aint leavin.
I am one of the ones under the impression that GP is still a top 15 point guard in this league. The triangle offense really hurt him, and without it he is still a quality player. He did average 14 ppg in the regular season.
06-21-2004 09:04 AM
cbfranchise3 Offline
All American

I Root For:
Crappies

tysramm1 Wrote:

you really think shaq is staying, i dont know if another year with kobe and shaq is possible
There are two teams I could possibly see Shaq playing for next year besides LA: Dallas and Denver, in that order. Dallas has the players to give back for Shaq, but I don't see him leaving.
06-21-2004 09:06 AM
Advertisement

Terpy Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

cbfranchise3 Wrote:I am one of the ones under the impression that GP is still a top 15 point guard in this league. The triangle offense really hurt him, and without it he is still a quality player. He did average 14 ppg in the regular season.
He still may be pretty good, I odnt know about top 15 but he probably still is pretty good. My point is Fisher is pretty darn good as well.
06-22-2004 05:42 PM
cbfranchise3 Offline
All American

I Root For:
Crappies

Its being reported that Fisher will opt out and become a free agent. He has listed Houston as a possible destination.
06-22-2004 06:12 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

cbfranchise3 Wrote:Shaq is staying,
so much for that
07-12-2004 10:18 AM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

cbfranchise3 Wrote:
tysramm1 Wrote:

There are two teams I could possibly see Shaq playing for next year besides LA: Dallas and Denver, in that order. Dallas has the players to give back for Shaq, but I don't see him leaving.
i guess this is a little off the mark too.
07-12-2004 10:19 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.