Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Connection
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies

It appears that Russia supplied us with information that Iraq was planning anti-US (in and out of the US) terrorism when we invaded.

<a href='http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,123051,00.html' target='_blank'>The entire story can be found here: Putin: We Told U.S. Saddam Was Planning Attacks</a>

Here are some little clips from the article....
Quote:Russia gave the Bush administration intelligence after the September 11 attacks that suggested Saddam Hussein's regime in Iraq was preparing attacks in the United States, President Vladimir Putin (search) said Friday........

......After Sept. 11, 2001, and before the start of the military operation in Iraq, the Russian special services, the intelligence service, received information that officials from Saddam's regime were preparing terrorist attacks in the United States and outside it against the U.S. military and other interests," Putin said........

......A commission investigating the Sept. 11 attacks in the United States reported this week that while there were contacts between Al Qaeda and Iraq, they did not appear to have produced "a collaborative relationship.".......

OK, guys let's hear it. One of the countries that was dead set against us going in there, is now admitting to giving us information about attacks being planned. Does anyone not see how this was a preemptive strike now?
06-18-2004 08:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest

Geez, it could be so much more than that.

Maybe Putin was concerned w/ the weapons Iraq procured from his country.

Maybe Russian intelligence suggested that Iraq was working toward nuclear capability.

Maybe Putin was aware of some technology and/or materials that the Russian gov't no longer could track.

Maybe Russia wanted stability in the world oil markets, as an aid to bring prosperity to their country.

Maybe a deal between Iraq and Russia went awry...

Fascinating stuff.
06-18-2004 09:09 AM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

Crappies

For those of you that discount Fox News stories...The same article is on MSNBC, and it is an AP story.

<a href='http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5238640/' target='_blank'>The link to the MSNBC story.</a>
06-18-2004 09:22 AM
HuskieDan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

GrayBeard Wrote:It appears that Russia supplied us with information that Iraq was planning anti-US (in and out of the US) terrorism when we invaded.

<a href='http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,123051,00.html' target='_blank'>The entire story can be found here: Putin: We Told U.S. Saddam Was Planning Attacks</a>

Quote:Russia gave the Bush administration intelligence after the September 11 attacks that suggested Saddam Hussein's regime in Iraq was preparing attacks in the United States, President Vladimir Putin (search) said Friday........

......After Sept. 11, 2001, and before the start of the military operation in Iraq, the Russian special services, the intelligence service, received information that officials from Saddam's regime were preparing terrorist attacks in the United States and outside it against the U.S. military and other interests," Putin said........

......A commission investigating the Sept. 11 attacks in the United States reported this week that while there were contacts between Al Qaeda and Iraq, they did not appear to have produced "a collaborative relationship.".......

OK, guys let's hear it. One of the countries that was dead set against us going in there, is now admitting to giving us information about attacks being planned. Does anyone not see how this was a preemptive strike now?
If their own intelligence is so good, why were they dead set against us pre-emptively striking?

I don't doubt that intelligence somewhere, at some time, may say that I'm a 12 foot tall flying badger, but if it was straight from my mouth and I don't worry about it.....
06-18-2004 04:00 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

Crappies

HuskieDan Wrote:If their own intelligence is so good, why were they dead set against us pre-emptively striking?
Simple Question, gets a simple answer.....$$$$
06-18-2004 04:20 PM
Advertisement

OUGwave Offline
All American

I Root For:

HuskieDan Wrote:
GrayBeard Wrote:It appears that Russia supplied us with information that Iraq was planning anti-US (in and out of the US) terrorism when we invaded.

<a href='http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,123051,00.html' target='_blank'>The entire story can be found here:&nbsp; Putin: We Told U.S. Saddam Was Planning Attacks</a>

If their own intelligence is so good, why were they dead set against us pre-emptively striking?

I don't doubt that intelligence somewhere, at some time, may say that I'm a 12 foot tall flying badger, but if it was straight from my mouth and I don't worry about it.....
International Relations 101:

States act in their own self-interest.

Damn, I thought you were smarter than that, Dan.

It's always been a goal of Russia to drive a wedge between the U.S. and European NATO partners. In the post-cold war world, they have taken every opportunity. Seeing an opportunity to align themselves with France and Germany and form a foreign policy axis against us, they took it. And it largely worked. It was never about Iraq, it has a lot more to do with European politics, particularly with concerns about E.U. and NATO expansion at the forefront of Russian minds.
06-18-2004 04:30 PM
Schadenfreude Online
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

GrayBeard Wrote:Does anyone not see how this was a preemptive strike now?
Sure it is. By Putin, against the 911 commission.

I wonder what Bush will be giving him in return.
06-18-2004 04:49 PM
OUGwave Offline
All American

I Root For:

Schadenfreude Wrote:
GrayBeard Wrote:Does anyone not see how this was a preemptive strike now?
Sure it is. By Putin, against the 911 commission.

I wonder what Bush will be giving him in return.
You must not have read all of the comments by members of the 9/11 commission downplaying any differences between themselves and the administration:

<a href='http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/06/18/saddam.terror/index.html' target='_blank'>http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/06/18/...rror/index.html</a>

Quote:Commission chairman Thomas Kean, the former Republican governor of New Jersey, downplayed any conflict at a news conference following Thursday's hearings.

"What we have found is, Were there contacts between al Qaeda and Iraq? Yes. Some of them were shadowy but they were there," Kean said.

Quote:Vice-chairman Lee Hamilton, a Democrat, said that the reported differences "are not that apparent to me."

Quote:Commission member James Thompson told CNN on Friday that the controversy was "a little mystifying."

"We said that there is no evidence to support the notion that al Qaeda and Saddam Hussein collaborated to produce 9/11," the former Illinois governor said. "President Bush said that weeks ago, he said it again yesterday. Vice President Cheney said it again yesterday."

He said that the report agreed with the administration's position that there were contacts between Iraq and al Qaeda.

"They may be in possession of information about contacts beyond those that we found." Thompson said. "I don't know, that wasn't any of our business. Our business was 9/11."

The 9/11 commission REJECTED any notion that Saddam had any culpability in the 9/11 attacks. However, they also agreed with what I've been saying all along, that Saddam DID have ties to al-Qaeda, and CERTAINLY made attempts to setup a DIRECT OPERATIONAL LINK with al-Qaeda, clearly demonstrating his intent to use terrorism as a means to attack the United States. Furthermore, officials from all over the world, including Vlad Putin, have stipulated Saddam's involvement with international terrorism. There's nobody who would contest that.

What happened was an outrageous attempt by the New York Times and other media outfits to spin the 9/11 commission findings into a controversy that never existed, in their zeal to get John Kerry elected. To take the commission's finding that Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11 and then conflate that with some notion that Iraq had nothing to do with al-Qaeda, and then from there the notion that they had nothing to do with terrorism is sloppy journalism at best and quite possibly an agenda driven attempt by the Times editorial staff to mislead the U.S. public. I'd like not to believe it, but how does the Times make such a glaring misinterpretation of the report that the commission members actually go out of their way to correct them? Thats like a college journalism mistake.

I hate Dick Cheney as much as the next guy, but he has every right to hold the Times' and the media in general's feet to the fire on this one. They simply got it wrong, and their stories flat out lied about what the commission found. It doesn't get more egregious than that. Anyone associated with journalism should be ashamed at that.

There is an attempt by the mainstream media, here and abroad, to whitewash Saddam's regime and paint it as a dictatorship gone bad that might have done horrible things to its people, but in no way posed a real threat to the security of the United States. That is a horrible, horrible lie. Iraq did pose a security threat for us, and its connections with al-Qaeda are but ONE aspect of that threat. He repeatedly sought methods of violence to employ to break the containment regime. A clear pattern had emerged over the past decade of this. After 9/11, he recognized the awesome power that one-time lethal attacks of a terrorist nature could have in the modern world, and Putin's information simply verifies what we already knew about his intentions in this area.

You can disagree until the cows come home about whether the decision to launch a pre-emptive war was a justified or prudent way to deal with the threat that Saddam posed. But you can't effectively argue that he didn't pose a threat. And Democrats, if they want to use Iraq as an election issue, are going to have to find a point of attack that doesn't start with "Saddam was not a threat to the United States", because most Americans don't buy it, and they play into the stereotypes about their "weakness" by doing so. I don't mean to make the arguement for them, because I actually think the Democrats should stick to arguing the post-war planning debate, where there is plenty of fertile ground to criticize the administrtaion, but if you were to make an attack on the war itself, a better stance is:

"Despite the threat posed to the U.S. by Saddam Hussein, there were more prudent ways to deal with it. It would have been more wise to finish Afghan elections before choosing the time to confront Saddam over his obfuscation of inspections, more of a diplomatic effort should have been made before to achieve multilateral consensus before the invasion, and the United States should have first sought an initiative in the Security Council to tighten the holes in the containment regime, and only if that failed, propose that the United States must act by any means to protect itself from such a clear threat."

That puts the debate in terms that the majority of moderate voters can sympathize with. The old Howard Dean mantra of "Obviously, Saddam was a bad guy, but he didn't really pose a threat to us", as if he was the selfish dictator of some banana republic like Robert Mugabe, is not going to fly. And Kerry won't be using it come September anyway, so he should use the DNC to get his surrogates on the right talking points now so they stop making the party look like a bunch of limp-willed appeasers who don't know what a threat is when they see one (intentions x capability).
06-19-2004 11:07 AM
Schadenfreude Online
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

OUGwave Wrote:The 9/11 commission REJECTED any notion that Saddam had any culpability in the 9/11 attacks. However, they also agreed with what I've been saying all along, that Saddam DID have ties to al-Qaeda, and CERTAINLY made attempts to setup a DIRECT OPERATIONAL LINK with al-Qaeda, clearly demonstrating his intent to use terrorism as a means to attack the United States.
Wrong.

There is no evidence of a collaborative relationship between Saddam and al Qaeda. That's what the report says, and it says it plainly.

You are twisting things around (just like George W. Bush does) by emphazing this notion of "ties."

For goodness sake, George W. Bush has ties to bin Laden. Bin Laden's brother was an investor in Bush's first oil company.

So talk all you want about ties.

Let's talk facts.

At most, it was bin Laden who asked representatives of Saddam for help. And, as the report indicates, Saddam ignored bin Laden.

There is no evidence they worked together, according to the commission. Period.

Bush is wrong. He misled the American people on issues of national security. And he should apologize or be made to pay for that mistake.

Quote:What happened was an outrageous attempt by the New York Times and other media outfits to spin the 9/11 commission findings into a controversy that never existed, in their zeal to get John Kerry elected. To take the commission's finding that Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11 and then conflate that with some notion that Iraq had nothing to do with al-Qaeda, and then from there the notion that they had nothing to do with terrorism is sloppy journalism at best and quite possibly an agenda driven attempt by the Times editorial staff to mislead the U.S. public.

It is a fact: Saddam Hussein had no more to do with al Qaeda than George W. Bush.

Bush has spent his entire presidency suggesting or implying otherwise -- and becuase of that, this is a huge, legitimate story.

Quote:I'd like not to believe it, but how does the Times make such a glaring misinterpretation of the report that the commission members actually go out of their way to correct them? Thats like a college journalism mistake.

I hate Dick Cheney as much as the next guy, but he has every right to hold the Times' and the media in general's feet to the fire on this one. They simply got it wrong, and their stories flat out lied about what the commission found. It doesn't get more egregious than that. Anyone associated with journalism should be ashamed at that.

This is my take: The media is angry. They know they've been lied to through this entire presidency. This report finally gave them a chance to call Bush on one of his lies. So, they jumped at it -- as they should have.

Quote:There is an attempt by the mainstream media, here and abroad, to whitewash Saddam's regime and paint it as a dictatorship gone bad that might have done horrible things to its people, but in no way posed a real threat to the security of the United States. That is a horrible, horrible lie.

There is no whitewashing going on -- just a simple recitation of the facts.

Saddam was a horrible, horrible man. But Saddam was not a threat to the United States.

That's just the plain truth.

Quote:Iraq did pose a security threat for us, and its connections with al-Qaeda are but ONE aspect of that threat. He repeatedly sought methods of violence to employ to break the containment regime. A clear pattern had emerged over the past decade of this. After 9/11, he recognized the awesome power that one-time lethal attacks of a terrorist nature could have in the modern world, and Putin's information simply verifies what we already knew about his intentions in this area.

You typed a lot of words there, but they don't add up to anything.

The al-Qaeda connection simply isn't there. This has been established. You can keep talking about "ties," and I'll keep pointing to this report, which makes plain the fact that those "ties" didn't mean anything.

Saddam and bin Laden did not work together. Period. They weren't allies.

You should give it up. So should Bush and Cheney.

I mean, when will Cheney stop talking about this supposed meeting between Mohammad Atta and senior Iraq intelligence?

It's ridiculous. It obviously didn't happen. No one believes that story any more. The commission said, quite clearly, that phone records suggest Atta in Florida at the time. And the commission wasn't the first to sneer at that story.

For Cheney to get his pants all bunched up over the Times supposed failure to make clear distinctions is laughable -- because it was the intentional blurring of those distinctions that Cheney and Bush used to get us into a war we didn't have to fight.

Cheney wants it both ways.

And until Putin puts up or shuts up, I say he's spinning like mad to cover Bush's ***.

Even the Bush administration -- which out to be holding Putin's story up and parading it around Washington -- is downplaying it, saying it didn't add to the intellegence they already had.

As we can all see, that intelligence was piss poor.

Quote:You can disagree until the cows come home about whether the decision to launch a pre-emptive war was a justified or prudent way to deal with the threat that Saddam posed. But you can't effectively argue that he didn't pose a threat.

I can and I do. Iraq never posed a threat. Period. It's plain as day.

You are grasping at straws.

And Osama bin Laden is still missin'.
06-19-2004 03:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.