Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Your Tax Dollars at Work
MAKO Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Well now, we've spent about $166 billion in Iraq so far with no end in sight. How much is $166 billion?

It's $1,514 for every single household in the United States. Wasn't that $1,500 worth it to your family? I'm sure you couldn't have spent it on something like retirement savings or education savings or whatever to help the American economy.

Did you know that we're building prisons in Iraq at a cost of $50,000 per bed? But hey. Since we don't need any more prison beds in the United States, it is comforting to know that $50,000 per bed is just about what we spend here.

If you laid 166 billion one dollar bills end to end:
they would circle the earth 28 times
they would make 1,299 round trips from Washington D.C. to Baghdad or,
you could lay them 2,598 miles wide for only one trip
they would go to the moon and back 34 times

If we took 166 billion one dollar bills and covered the entire 200 square mile area of Baghdad with them, how deep would they be? The answer is 8 bills deep.

$166 billion is more than the ENTIRE FEDERAL BUDGET in 1968.

Amount spent in Iraq as a multiple of all federal government spending on science, space and technology programs - 8.5. That's right. We're spending 8 1/2 times more money in Iraq than we are spending to develop technologies that will allow the United States to maintain its high tech lead in the world.

At $166 billion, we could just give $6,475 to every man, woman and child in Iraq. Hey. Conservatives love to blather on about how the citizens of a country do a better job with it than the government. Wouldn't the citizens of Iraq do a better job at spuring their economy if they had the money than if our government or the Iraqi government spent it?
06-11-2004 07:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Socko Wiethe Offline
1st String

I Root For:

I'd feel a lot better about our nation's safety today if we could have taken even one-tenth that amount and funneled it towards port security.
06-11-2004 09:09 AM
Lethemeul Offline
Fancy Pants

I Root For: Pirates!

NCAAbbs LUGDonatorsFolding@NCAAbbs

The cost will probably be closer to 300 billion before it's all said and done. If Bush wins in November, you better believe he will send a new request to Congress. Do I think it is/was worth it? Absolutely. One reason I can think of off the top of my head (aside from removing a homicidal maniac from power):

The terrorists in Iraq will continue their attacks even after the U.S. military has left. How could other nations possibly justify trying to get along with a group of people who are willing to interfere with the self-determination of millions? The terrorists are going to help us prove to the rest of the world just how evil and demented they truly are.
06-11-2004 09:22 AM
MaumeeRocket Offline
1st String

I Root For:

People are complaining that we are spending 200 mil on Iraq and Arabs are complaining because we are making money off of the war with Iraq oil revenue, hmmmm which is it :rolleyes:
06-11-2004 11:33 AM
Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

MaumeeRocket Wrote:People are complaining that we are spending 200 mil on Iraq and Arabs are complaining because we are making money off of the war with Iraq oil revenue, hmmmm which is it :rolleyes:
$200 billion.

Not million. Billion.

$1,500 for me. $1,500 for your family. $1,500 for Mako's family.

Was it worth it?

I know I don't have a spare $1,500 lying around.
06-11-2004 11:51 AM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies

Schadenfreude Wrote:$1,500 for me. $1,500 for your family. $1,500 for Mako's family.

Was it worth it?

Don't worry, the rich will pick up the tab for you! Damn them!
06-11-2004 12:00 PM
Advertisement

Lethemeul Offline
Fancy Pants

I Root For: Pirates!

NCAAbbs LUGDonatorsFolding@NCAAbbs

Schadenfreude Wrote:I know I don't have a spare $1,500 lying around.
Actually, your share is only $572.

166,000,000,000/290,000,000 = 572.41
06-11-2004 12:08 PM
USMC Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Folding@NCAAbbsCrappies

1500 bucks to liberate an entire nation? To empty out prisons full of people who simply didn't support Sadaam. To remove a man and his sons from power who raped and tortured an incredible number of women and children? Damn right, I'll pay it.
06-11-2004 12:17 PM
MaumeeRocket Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Schadenfreude Wrote:
MaumeeRocket Wrote:People are complaining that we are spending 200 mil on Iraq and Arabs are complaining because we are making money off of the war with Iraq oil revenue, hmmmm which is it :rolleyes:
$200 billion.

Not million. Billion.

$1,500 for me. $1,500 for your family. $1,500 for Mako's family.

Was it worth it?

Sorry for the typo oh great one 04-bow

You aren't picking up the tab anyway so dont worry about it.
06-11-2004 01:09 PM
ccs178 Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss

CrappiesCrappiesDonators

MAKO Wrote:Well now, we've spent about $166 billion in Iraq so far with no end in sight. How much is $166 billion?

It's $1,514 for every single household in the United States. Wasn't that $1,500 worth it to your family? I'm sure you couldn't have spent it on something like retirement savings or education savings or whatever to help the American economy.

Did you know that we're building prisons in Iraq at a cost of $50,000 per bed? But hey. Since we don't need any more prison beds in the United States, it is comforting to know that $50,000 per bed is just about what we spend here.

If we took 166 billion one dollar bills and covered the entire 200 square mile area of Baghdad with them, how deep would they be? The answer is 8 bills deep.

Amount spent in Iraq as a multiple of all federal government spending on science, space and technology programs - 8.5. That's right. We're spending 8 1/2 times more money in Iraq than we are spending to develop technologies that will allow the United States to maintain its high tech lead in the world.

At $166 billion, we could just give $6,475 to every man, woman and child in Iraq. Hey. Conservatives love to blather on about how the citizens of a country do a better job with it than the government. Wouldn't the citizens of Iraq do a better job at spuring their economy if they had the money than if our government or the Iraqi government spent it?
If freedom could be measured in dollars, you might have a point.
06-11-2004 01:12 PM
HuskieDan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

ccs178 Wrote:
MAKO Wrote:Well now, we've spent about $166 billion in Iraq so far with no end in sight. How much is $166 billion?

But I'm already free.
06-11-2004 04:01 PM
Advertisement

HuskieDan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

USMC Wrote:1500 bucks to liberate an entire nation? To empty out prisons full of people who simply didn't support Sadaam. To remove a man and his sons from power who raped and tortured an incredible number of women and children? Damn right, I'll pay it.
Would you mind covering my portion, because I'd rather mine go to medical research and protecting sensitive environmental areas?
06-11-2004 04:03 PM
MaumeeRocket Offline
1st String

I Root For:

HuskieDan Wrote:
USMC Wrote:1500 bucks to liberate an entire nation?  To empty out prisons full of people who simply didn't support Sadaam.  To remove a man and his sons from power who raped and tortured an incredible number of women and children?  Damn right, I'll pay it.
Would you mind covering my portion, because I'd rather mine go to medical research and protecting sensitive environmental areas?
Maybe you should have volunteered to go live under Sadamm, actually I would put money up for you to go live in Lybia under Ghadfi for a year. Those who have not expericened what the Iraqis have gone through ahould shut their mouth about freedom.
06-11-2004 04:27 PM
Schadenfreude Offline

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

Lethemeul Wrote:
Schadenfreude Wrote:I know I don't have a spare $1,500 lying around.
Actually, your share is only $572.

166,000,000,000/290,000,000 = 572.41
I believe the formula is this:

$200 billion / the number of households in America = $1,500 or thereabouts

Not sure how Mako or whoever settled on $200 billion, but it is certainly going to cost at least that much by the time we are through.

I am a household of one.
06-11-2004 04:33 PM
Schadenfreude Offline

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

MaumeeRocket Wrote:You aren't picking up the tab anyway so dont worry about it.
True.

Bush's plan is to leave that that $200 billion for our grandchildren to pay.

(Hey -- it worked for Reagan. We still haven't paid off a dime of all the debt he ran up).
06-11-2004 04:36 PM
Schadenfreude Offline

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

MaumeeRocket Wrote:Maybe you should have volunteered to go live under Sadamm, actually I would put money up for you to go live in Lybia under Ghadfi for a year. Those who have not expericened what the Iraqis have gone through ahould shut their mouth about freedom.
I would become very quiet indeed -- if you had a spare $200 billion in your wallet to pay for Incurious George's Adventure.

[Image: curious1.jpg]
06-11-2004 04:42 PM
Advertisement

HuskieDan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

MaumeeRocket Wrote:
HuskieDan Wrote:
USMC Wrote:1500 bucks to liberate an entire nation?  To empty out prisons full of people who simply didn't support Sadaam.  To remove a man and his sons from power who raped and tortured an incredible number of women and children?  Damn right, I'll pay it.
Maybe you should have volunteered to go live under Sadamm, actually I would put money up for you to go live in Lybia under Ghadfi for a year. Those who have not expericened what the Iraqis have gone through ahould shut their mouth about freedom.
Typical.

I thought my citizenship allowed me freedom of speaking my mind without being deported, so you suggest that I should be deported. Brilliant deduction. :rolleyes:
06-11-2004 04:43 PM
ccs178 Offline
All American

CrappiesCrappiesDonators

HuskieDan Wrote:
ccs178 Wrote:

But I'm already free.
That freedom has a price.
06-11-2004 04:58 PM
Schadenfreude Offline

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

ccs178 Wrote:
HuskieDan Wrote:But I'm already free.
Incurious George's Iraq Adventure has done absolutely nothing to keep us more safe or more free. Nothing.
06-11-2004 07:38 PM
ccs178 Offline
All American

CrappiesCrappiesDonators

Schadenfreude Wrote:
ccs178 Wrote:
HuskieDan Wrote:But I'm already free.
Incurious George's Iraq Adventure has done absolutely nothing to keep us more safe or more free. Nothing.
Why do you act like you care? You are "Schadenfreude," right? Other peoples' misery is just for your amusement.
06-11-2004 08:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.