Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Better or Worse under Bush
joebordenrebel Offline
1st String

I Root For:

(borrowed shamelessly from internet infidels. . .)

How many people that you personally know are better off now than it was under the Democrats; for whatever reason, irrespective of 9/11.

I personally know more people out of work, working for lower wages, about to be thrown out of work, jobs moving out of the country faster than ever, the dissapearance of the middle class, the fomenting dissention, the divisions in this country, under the great unificator, become rehtorical dust.

My brother in law, a bench tech who worked for an international conglomerate out of Germany, works for half of what he used to make. He has no medical insurance. His teeth are a mess, he has no insurance for that, and he thought he HAD A JOB FOR LIFE.

I know people whose overtime has dried up, whose overtime and time and a half has been legislated out of their pocketbooks and back into the corporations that bought the legislature that did it.

Manufacturing jobs have long been gone, people laugh at Michael Moore, information technology jobs are being sent over to India and elsewhere.

The rich, status post Reagan, have gotten obscenely richer, while the middle class is squeezed without any regard for the implicatons of the nation. He broke the airport controllers, yes he did and he broke the backbone of this nation.

An economy driven by consumption (capitalism) per se, is out of business without persons who can afford the goods and services that they have to offer.

Everyone gets a cheap kick out of watching the idle rich such as Paris Hilton. Well, guess what, the joke is on the middle class..upper and lower middle class, all who for the sake of the profit line are all being dumped in the trash.

We are being very careful to have a great homeland security system, which is fine; it should have been there on 9/11/2001, and we should not be giving up all of our rights as American Citizens accomplish this. Furthermore, there will be hardly a thing to protect if the slide down the slipperly slope isn't turned around for their will be nothing and no one left to protect, save corporate CEO's, inherited wealth, and celebrities and/or entepreneur's.

Why the hell should a kid go to college and get into debt to the tune of 100,000 or so, to stand in an unemployment line? This is the reality that unfair legislation against the middle class that will come right back and bite the perpetrators right in their respective asses.

Let's not even go into a confabulated war, the mess overseas, the mess in Pakistan started by Reagan and hardly starting to be fixed by the USA, the Iraq mess, the wished for mess with Iran and Korea, almost....and then

They will pray for a Bill Clinton on their bended knees.
02-18-2004 03:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

rickheel Offline
The Old Bastard

I Root For: Heels
Donators

I dont rely on the government to provide my living. I am better off than I was in 2000 because of my efforts. The sooner folks back away from the government teat the better off they will be. IMHO.
02-18-2004 03:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest

Your concerns confuse me:

Quote:I personally know more people out of work, working for lower wages, about to be thrown out of work, jobs moving out of the country faster than ever, the

Didn't Clinton sign NAFTA? Not that it's so simple, but if you're going to point fingers...

(Instead try reading <a href='http://www.smartmoney.com/aheadofthecurve/index.cfm?story=20040213' target='_blank'>this article</a>)

Quote:dissapearance of the middle class, the fomenting dissention, the divisions in this country,

Once again, these divisions are the fault of whom? Didn't Bork get rejected first? And didn't Anita Hill coincidently come out of nowhere?
Who brought the recent cases of same-sex marriage to the Mass courts? Wasn't the conservative side.

It's always easy to see the "other side" as causing the dissention, but it's rarely so one-sided.

As for the "disappearance of the middle class", I'm not seeing it. Rather I'm hearing concerns about "suburban sprawl" and "urban renewal" that eliminates cheap housing. <a href='http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/housing/2004-02-17-condos_x.htm' target='_blank'>While condo sales surge</a> mostly to middle-class homebuyers.

The middle class is still around. It just conveniently disappears when certain claims are made.
If anything folks should be concerned about the flight from central US to the coasts. This is an imbalance that is hurting lots of things.

Quote:he thought he HAD A JOB FOR LIFE.
Whose fault is that? The headline has been blaring for 10-20 years...there are no "jobs for life." I've read that over and over and over..
Quote:I know people whose overtime has dried up, whose overtime and time and a half has been legislated out of their pocketbooks and back into the corporations that bought the legislature that did it.

OT drying up? It's a mistake to depend on OT. As for the 1.5 rate, that was for small businesses. I doubt this claim has any merit.

Quote:Manufacturing jobs have long been gone, people laugh at Michael Moore, information technology jobs are being sent over to India and elsewhere.

So we should go back to isolationism? Funny how these things go full circle, I thought this was Pat Buchannon's position. Anyway, read the first article, and check out how Moore's Flint, MI has grown beyond automobiles...Moore doesn't talk about that much anymore.

Quote:The rich, status post Reagan, have gotten obscenely richer, while the middle class is squeezed without any regard for the implicatons of the nation. He broke the airport controllers, yes he did and he broke the backbone of this nation.

I think folks don't realize how bad the 70's were. I was there, I remember. Anyway, I'm middle class and I haven't gotten squeezed under Reagan, Bush or Bush. In fact I've done alot more w/ my tax refunds.

Quote:We are being very careful to have a great homeland security system, which is fine; it should have been there on 9/11/2001, and we should not be giving up all of our rights as American Citizens accomplish this.

Yeah, yeah. And how did Kerry vote on military and intelligence funding?
How about LBJ's immigration policies?! Those are at the root of all of this, and those were not directed at American Citizens. In fact, why don't folks bring up LBJ when discussing all of this? His Great Society and his VietNam war, have lead to most of these issues.

Quote:Why the hell should a kid go to college and get into debt to the tune of 100,000 or so, to stand in an unemployment line?

Since when did college become a "middle class entitlement"? And who goes $100K in debt? Only if you're at MIT or Wellsley...you should be able to get a job w/ that sort of pedigree.
Meanwhile, how many college kids are downing keggers? watching CaTV in their dorms? and majoring in "Lesuire studies", etc?

Quote:Let's not even go into a confabulated war, the mess overseas, the mess in Pakistan started by Reagan

At some point folks will realize that history extends past 20 years. Even if it means watching "That 70's Show". Once again, check out LBJ, and the mess he caused. Carter didn't do much to help, quite honestly.

Quote:They will pray for a Bill Clinton on their bended knees.

Isn't he the guy that trashed prosperity and sent us into a recession by the end of his term? Isn't he the cheating CEO, who was emulated by folks at Enron, WorldCom, Tyco, etc? Isn't he the CinC that did nothing when the WTC was first attacked and when the Kohl was attacked? Thus giving encouragement and confidence to terrorists?

Ah, some of us have better memories than that.
02-18-2004 04:30 PM
KlutzDio I Offline
1st String

I Root For:

I voted no, but it didn't have anything to do with Dumbya.

I've learned that, regardless of the color stripes the occupant of the White House has, my insurance rates will always go up, up and up again. I also know that any claim I might have will be categorically rejected from any insurance company, regardless of the circumstances.

I've also learned in my lifetime, that Democrats will send our boys to die in unnecessary wars as quickly as Repugnicans will, given the chance.

I voted no, meaning I am not better off than I was four years ago.

Four years ago, I was an uneducated slob making $36,000+ per year, with handsome bonuses. I was sick of dealing with complete idiots at my job and since I had the no debt, I wanted to go back to college and finish my education. I did. Now, after two degrees, I make almost $28,000 per year, most of which is zapped through local taxes, student loans and rising insurance rates. I have to admit, learning and commiting oneself to education will get you nowhere in this country!

I'm not better off, and neither are many Americans. As badly as I hate Bush, it ain't his fault!
02-18-2004 06:37 PM
Advertisement

flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

JBR, i think the question had a few problems. While i've been better off because of Bush, i don't think that will hold true down the road (prescription drugs, etc.). A lot of the faults with the economy are because of clinton.

All in all, i think Bush has done a lot of good for the present, but he's posed a problem for the future.
02-18-2004 07:15 PM
KlutzDio I Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Dr. Torch,

Your history lesson was quite interesting. You did make one very poignant comment that I'll quote below:

"Meanwhile, how many college kids are downing keggers? watching CaTV in their dorms? and majoring in "Lesuire studies", etc?"

I've seen this up front and it's true. Like my many professors said, "state universities provide that 'second high-school diploma.' Students don't learn anything here because they don't have to!"

As for college costing $100K, that is true only by extension. B.A.'s or B.S.'s these days are worthless, unless it's computer related. Even marketing and business degrees don't bear much fruit as colleges produce an army of marketing majors. They send them out into the world fully equipped to lie and do so effectively. Perhaps you've met one. They probably tried to sell you a telephone book ad, claiming, "our readers [listeners/viewers] notice ads!" And that guy or gal is making around $27,000 per year telling lies.

Given the nature of most state-funded institutions, in conjunction with students who are ill-equipped to take initiative, graduates must move on to grad school. Law, medicine, pharmacy, masters, Ph.D's, MBA's--all are necessary to make a real living in today's service economy. For most students, even the one's whose parents can afford college, they resort to student loans to pay for all of this--and the weekly keggers (and the Adderalls, high-flight ganga and ecstacy).

On the disagreements:

Clinton signed NAFTA. He was a wily political beast, often stealing the conservatives agenda to spite them, and it was the only way to get things passed in Congress.
To this, George Bush #1 lobbied long and hard for NAFTA, as did many House and Senate Republicans before and after Clinton.

While you did not say it directly, you did give the impression that he was solely responsible for the most devastating legislation to American manufacturing in the 20th century. Then again, manufacturing began it's way out of the U.S. economy long before Clinton--it began in the age of Reagan!

On the middle class:

Most Americans say they are middle class, even the ones who make only about $19,000 per year in income. Nonetheless, it depends on how you define it.

Most middle-class Americans (annual income of more than $50,000) are in debt to their ears. Some student loans, a house, two cars, home repair, kids' tuition for elem, h.s. and college, avg. 9 credit cards and the membership to the golf club. Then there's insurance, some of which everyone must have by legislative fiat. This takes up a good chunk of working and middle class incomes. With all the debt Americans face, even those below the poverty level think they're middle class because they look at the stuff credit has afforded them!

"OT drying up? It's a mistake to depend on OT. As for the 1.5 rate, that was for small businesses. I doubt this claim has any merit."

Some professions are exempt from overtime rules, i.e. EMT's, truck drivers, doctors, etc. They always have been.

The oligarchs that control our government have in the past year, lobbied for legislation that extends the workweek to 48-50 hours a week. Many mid-level managers and what few manufacturers we have left depended on that. Some of these workers have been getting it for years. You take away about 15% of your weekly or semi-weekly check and see if it hurts you!

JBR wrote:
"Manufacturing jobs have long been gone, people laugh at Michael Moore, information technology jobs are being sent over to India and elsewhere."

And this prompted your response:
"So we should go back to isolationism? Funny how these things go full circle, I thought this was Pat Buchannon's position. Anyway, read the first article, and check out how Moore's Flint, MI has grown beyond automobiles...Moore doesn't talk about that much anymore."

In JBR's statements, he said nothing about isolationism. Your response is a classic strawman fallacy of logic. JBR mentioned nothing about closing the borders.

Can't there be some medium between isolationism and contracting labor out to overseas workers? Shouldn't American workers get some jobs other than sprinkling cinnamon on doctors' lattes? Other than selling useless ads and preying upon every small merchant in a given locality? Why of course they can, but they need that master's of something, at least, and then most find themselves in the student loan hole.

Regardless of how technologically advanced we get in the United States, somebody will always have to make something and that knowledge needs to continue. Somebody will always have to plant seeds in the ground and watch it grow, regardless of how advanced we become. Contracting this kind of work overseas is just an example of greed. Yes it keeps prices level, but most Americans buy their Indonesian-made Nike shoes using their Capital One No-Hassle card. Hey, only 9.8% interest. It's almost as cheap as my student loans!

You said, "I think folks don't realize how bad the 70's were. I was there, I remember. Anyway, I'm middle class and I haven't gotten squeezed under Reagan, Bush or Bush. In fact I've done alot more w/ my tax refunds."

The 70s were bad, unless you had some money. Interest rates were upward of 15%. Rat-hole whatever savings you got and it would have made you. It made my grandparents. Grandma never worked, but Grandpa was career Navy, an NCO. He had a pittance, about $1500 and he bought a CD in 1975. Today he's worth a bundle, most of which he made before 1980!

On tax refunds: I made an insurance payment with my $300. I still paid in over $2300 in taxes. Last year, since I was still in college in the last fiscal year--2002, I only made $12,000! I haven't done taxes yet this year, but since I made more money, I bet I will pay more taxes!

And on taxes in general: things aren't free ladies and gentlemen. Everyone wants to drive on nice smooth roads, but you can't cut the local high school's athletic budget to pay for it! Taxes, furthermore, fuel our war-machine. While buck-privates and NCO 's do come cheap, when you have over 300,000 of them, it gets costly. Plus all that Haliburton-gouged fuel to gas-up our Armored Personnel Carriers and B2 bombers does not grow on trees.

"How about LBJ's immigration policies?! Those are at the root of all of this, and those were not directed at American Citizens. In fact, why don't folks bring up LBJ when discussing all of this? His Great Society and his VietNam war, have lead to most of these issues."

LBJ's immigration policies are at the root of national security issues? You've got to be kidding me!

I know this is cliche, but without immigrants, we'd be a country full of native Americans! Lucky we did have the immigrants, because they cleared this land of Indians running around chasing buffalo! If it were for them, you'd be speaking Cherokee!

On the Vietnam War, one cannot defend the indefensible. LBJ was a terrible president and McNamara was a horrible war-planner. One has to acknowledge, however, that both parties were full-on in favor of war in SE Asia, they just disagreed on how to fight it. I, for one, say that war in SE Asia was wrong regardless of a party's methods!

"At some point folks will realize that history extends past 20 years."

Yeah, I agree on this. In fact, most of our national problems today were created circa 1492!

On Bill Clinton, like I've stated--I cannot defend the indefensible. As for Enron-style accounting practices, that has been going on for a long, long time among the corporate elites. Trying to blame Clinton for that is like the Dems' scapegoating of Bush for the same incoherent practices.
02-18-2004 07:31 PM
joebordenrebel Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Quote: Your concerns confuse me:

My concerns are not just for me, Professor. They fairly represent Gen X and down, I'd say. Judging on just how old you are (and if you remember the 70's, you're old) and just how much security you have with your company, I can see why you'd be confused.

America has worked for you, apparently. Thus, it must work for everybody.

Not true. So completely not true.

Now, if I was a lazy no-'count-welfare-teat-sucking p.o.s. then my opinion could be dismissed as mere sour grapes. Hell, *I'd* dismiss them myself, before coming out of my own mouth.

But I'm from what used to be called the lower middle class (now probably more high prole--the lower middle class has already disappeared). I have been inculcated with bourgeois values (consumerism, materialism, distraction, apathy, keeping a tidy house/car/yard, etc.). I have a strong backbone. I hate whiners. I have this giddy optimism about life that can't be explained in mere words. I worked two jobs--60 hours a week, mostly--and took out student loans in order to get through school. I may be a lot of things, but lazy ain't one of them.

And still, at age 36, I have no benefits and I work part-time making far below the poverty line. My student loans are on hardship deferment. And this is doing a job I was trained to do. I have spent my time in graduate school already. I have a Master's degree in literature from a (somewhat) prestigious public liberal arts university. I carried a 3.1 in undergrad and a 3.87 in graduate school.

The best job I've had to date is hawking cell phones, surrounded by high school graduate colleagues, working unbelievable hours and dealing with one of the most demanding customer service jobs ever created (how many times a day does someone throw a cell phone at you and you just have to smile about it?).

That's pretty much America for everybody I know my age. It sucks dude.

And it's only getting worse.

That's what I want you to address. F all that other blah blah blah. Tell me how the American Dream is still alive for Generation Who Cares.

Because we have pretty good memories too, Old Man. And one day, you'll be getting what you deserve.
02-18-2004 08:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wryword Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

I remember the 70's, so I guess I am old. But then because I remember the 60's, I guess I am ancient.

Anyway, when I was just out of college, in 1978, I entered an economy that hideously sucked. Within two years interest rates were at a high we have not seen since 1980, unemployment was high, and inflation was a very big deal. And I was a teller in a bank barely making above minimum wage. So yes, JBR, I can relate.

I had a degree in liberal arts from a liberal arts college. It was totally worthless in terms of getting a job, so I had to go on to get a market-valuable degree. I feel your pain, JBR, but this is what you have to do unless you are like John Kerry and can marry ketchup money. The point to this is, quit your bitchin'. You are not the first person and the first generation to have deal with life.
02-18-2004 10:09 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

What does Bush have to do with jobs going overseas and people losing jobs? He can't FORCE companies to keep jobs here. DAMN that's why I don't post here that much anymore. You people think the President is all that powerful....well, you JBR, are a Communist supporter so I can understand why you would think that a President SHOULD have that much power as it works so well in China and Cuba.
02-18-2004 10:11 PM
Quote this message in a reply
DrTorch Offline

KlutzDio I Wrote:Dr. Torch,

Your history lesson was quite interesting. You did make one very poignant comment that I'll quote below:

"Meanwhile, how many college kids are downing keggers? watching CaTV in their dorms? and majoring in "Lesuire studies", etc?"

I've seen this up front and it's true. Like my many professors said, "state universities provide that 'second high-school diploma.' Students don't learn anything here because they don't have to!"

As for college costing $100K, that is true only by extension.
Thank you for your comment KD.

I am in agreement w/ you that the proliferation of BS/BA degrees has made them of much less value, and that has required that many go back to school for higher degrees...incurring more debt.

I think we also agree that this is often b/c there are virtually no manufacturing jobs, so parents insist their kids go to college since there are few viable alternatives.

This concerns me greatly. I'm from a Rust Belt town. But, the problems are bi-partisan in nature w/ no simple solutions.

For example: We need cheap fuel to ship manufactured products and to run factories/assembly lines. But there's a huge partisan debate over where to get that energy. To be honest, I think both sides have plenty wrong w/ their positions.
OSHA regulations- I'm not suggesting that we go back to "The Jungle", but these folks are mandating 'ergonomics'. The laws are cumbersome and difficult, and frequently change.
EPA regulations- Since I'm trying to start a company in environmental remediation I am aware of how much I do not know. How am I going to learn all of this? One of my products could be considered a "chemical reactor" and require a $200K license for each user...obviously this eliminates the small businesses I would choose to target.

and the list goes on. You need significant capital to overcome these inertial restraints.

Quote:On the disagreements:

Clinton signed NAFTA. ...While you did not say it directly, you did give the impression that he was solely responsible for the most devastating legislation to American manufacturing in the 20th century.

I didn't mean to give this impression (and I think your summary was 100% spot on) I just thought that given the concluding sentence, it was worth pointing out that Clinton signed the bill.

I heard a talk by Lester Thurow about a year ago. He's typically considered to be on the left of the spectrum, but he was adamant that globalization was coming...and if you ignore it you'll get left behind.
I think it's a non-partisan fact to deal with. The ways of dealing w/ it will be partisan, and ultimately some folks will get through it better than others.

Quote:On the middle class:

Most Americans say they are middle class, even the ones who make only about $19,000 per year in income. Nonetheless, it depends on how you define it.

Most middle-class Americans (annual income of more than $50,000) are in debt to their ears. Some student loans, a house, two cars, home repair, kids' tuition for elem, h.s. and college, avg. 9 credit cards and the membership to the golf club. Then there's insurance, some of which everyone must have by legislative fiat. This takes up a good chunk of working and middle class incomes. With all the debt Americans face, even those below the poverty level think they're middle class because they look at the stuff credit has afforded them!

Again I think you're right. What defines 'middle class'? I think they're there.
And what is causing this squeeze? These answers can easily get partisan:
I read recently that finding a "good school district" was a huge factor for families w/ kids, and that caused higher home prices in these areas (for those that stick w/ public schools.) I can testify to some truth in this. But, debating education is easily a contentious issue.
CaTV- I sound redundant, but I saw these prices skyrocket when I had it. We got rid of it and it's helped our budget immensely. What other luxuries do middle class families enjoy to the detriment of their credit lines? And what is the origin of the sense of "entitlement" that keeps promoting this?

Quote:In JBR's statements, he said nothing about isolationism. Your response is a classic strawman fallacy of logic. JBR mentioned nothing about closing the borders.

Can't there be some medium between isolationism and contracting labor out to overseas workers?

I was trying to point out the irony of Moore's reactionism. I don't think Moore is capable of addressing these complex issues.
Sorry about the straw man argument. Of course there can be a compromise between the extremes, and each person thinks their compromise is best. Again, some folks will be helped/hurt better/worse than others.

Quote:Why of course they can, but they need that master's of something, at least, and then most find themselves in the student loan hole.

Which means staggering changes in the education system from elementary to university level. Many of these changes are opposed by folks on the left, even when initiated by folks on the left! (Take PG county Maryland as a textbook example.) I'm not trying to take a cheap shot, I just think that even some of the simpler solutions are made complicated by resistance.

Quote:Contracting this kind of work overseas is just an example of greed.

I don't know if I'd always agree w/ this. I think the link I posted to does a great job of presenting another viewpoint on this.

Quote:And on taxes in general: things aren't free ladies and gentlemen. Everyone wants to drive on nice smooth roads, but you can't cut the local high school's athletic budget to pay for it!

I agree. I'd also agree (probably w/ Moore) that the economic churn makes this worse. For example, all the construction of roads, utilities and schools in Phoenix's east valley has to be paid by someone. Meanwhile, already built roads, utilities and schools go to waste in Muncie, Youngstown, Kenosha and E. St. Louis.

Quote:"How about LBJ's immigration policies?! Those are at the root of all of this, and those were not directed at American Citizens. In fact, why don't folks bring up LBJ when discussing all of this? His Great Society and his VietNam war, have lead to most of these issues."

LBJ's immigration policies are at the root of national security issues? You've got to be kidding me!

I know this is cliche, but without immigrants, we'd be a country full of native Americans!

No, I'm serious. I'm not blasting all immigrants...I'm saying that policies changed under LBJ, requiring that the doors open to folks from countries who don't necessarily like the US. It was part of the civil rights movement and folks seemed to have forgotten it. But, it's made things more dangerous by: allowing in folks who want to do the US harm AND, making logistics very cumbersome and thus expensive.

Quote:On Bill Clinton, like I've stated--I cannot defend the indefensible. As for Enron-style accounting practices, that has been going on for a long, long time among the corporate elites. Trying to blame Clinton for that is like the Dems' scapegoating of Bush for the same incoherent practices.

Fair enough. But these practices were largely responsible for the "irrational exuberence" that occured in the late '90's. Fact is, that prosperity was ficticious...it came from exaggerated profits and the margins against these profits. That's why I don't think getting a president like Clinton will bring back those glory years.
02-19-2004 09:13 AM
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline

joebordenrebel Wrote:
Quote: Your concerns confuse me:

My concerns are not just for me, Professor. They fairly represent Gen X and down, I'd say. Judging on just how old you are (and if you remember the 70's, you're old) and just how much security you have with your company, I can see why you'd be confused.

America has worked for you, apparently. Thus, it must work for everybody.

Not true. So completely not true.
I'm only a year older than you. But, everyone has skills and talents and I have a pretty good memory.

I didn't understand all the things that went on in the 70's but they started making more sense as I got older.

I'm sure I don't remember everything, but I remember enough so that I have a model that seems to work. I also remember enough that I can refute a buffoon like Moore. Everyone has skills and talents, I wouldn't try to outeat Moore, he shouldn't try to outthink me.

I don't think I suggested that you were lazy. I worry each day about my company and my position in the company. My CEO has taken risks that didn't work and also made big mistakes, so we have plenty of debt. Contracts w/ the gov't are taking far too long to get established, even after committment.

Nevertheless, I too have a sense of optimism. Moreso now than at other times. I recognize that doesn't happen for everybody. I still read my hometown paper on line. It certainly ain't happening there. But, the "fault" with that comes from a variety of reasons.

I'm not going to insult you and say "you're at fault". I think opportunities exist, and it takes work finding them. Heck, I'm in the same boat: working very hard at finding opportunities.

But, at the same time, I'm not going to embrace someone whose policies will very possibly take us back to times like the Carter era.
02-19-2004 09:29 AM
joebordenrebel Offline
1st String

I Root For:

My apologies, Professor. I thought you said you remembered *working* in the 70's.

Maybe you said you planned to be working into your seventies.

Darn speed reading. I never understand anything. :bang:

Anyway, so we're back to the question I asked, sans inflammatory language:

What the hell do I do?

To which you replied:

"I think opportunities exist, and it takes work finding them."

Look, I'm not just floating resumes on Monster.com. I'm not sending out applications to Blockbuster yet (although maybe I should). But I've paid my dues, I'm paying my student loans when I have decent wages (telling factoid. The 26k I borrowed originally has ballooned to 38k. . .and I've paid on it quite a BIT! WTF???) and Jesus H. Christ I've done everything I can and this is where I'm at.

Is it my fault for just majoring in the wrong thing? Were all those business and pre-law majors right?

Or could it POSSIBLY be the fault of the system? The system run by those people you profess to love so much.

It's the nature of the beast to EXPLOIT. Just extrapolate that and you'll see the road ahead, I'm sure.

It ain't gonna be pretty, I can guarantee you that.
02-19-2004 04:38 PM
DrTorch Offline

joebordenrebel Wrote:Is it my fault for just majoring in the wrong thing? Were all those business and pre-law majors right?

Or could it POSSIBLY be the fault of the system? The system run by those people you profess to love so much.
There was a group in the mid '90's called the "Young Scientists Network". The big complaint was about the "MYTH": that there is/would be a shortage of scientists and engineers. But here we were, w/ our shiny degrees...clinging to low paying, temporary post-docs as our only jobs. (And yes, the student loans were due.)

At that time I heard, w/ my own ears, radio ads about the upcoming *shortage* or scientists and engineers! Brought to you by the ad council.

I understand the idea of exploitation. Of being misled. But, I'm not exactly sure who "they" are who's doing it.

You're the anarchist, so maybe you don't like anybody in the government. Fair enough. I'm just suggesting that I don't see either major party being worse than the other for this particular issue.

As for what do you do... I'm no expert. I read <a href='http://www.inc.com/home/' target='_blank'>Inc.</a> magazine every month, trying to get the courage and insight on how to go it on my own.

I read lots of <a href='http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0316880655/qid=1077227566/sr=2-3/ref=sr_2_3/103-4106098-3872649' target='_blank'>books</a> and other <a href='http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0374526214/qid=1077227566/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/103-4106098-3872649' target='_blank'>books</a> to get an idea of what I'm passionate about.

No flames, no insults. As hot-headed as I am, what I really like to see is people succeed and enjoy themselves. So, I wish you the best.
02-19-2004 04:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.