Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

photo of the day
Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

[Image: capt.w050579a.jpg]

American soldiers stand behind a pyramid of naked Iraqi prisoners at the Abu Ghraib prison near Baghdad, Iraq in this undated photo. (AP/The New Yorker)

[Image: r735394764.jpg]

Iraqis demonstrate outside the prison of Abu Ghraib, west of the Iraqi capital of Baghdad May 5, 2004. Hundreds of Iraqis marched outside the walls of the military jail in Iraq (news - web sites) where U.S. soldiers photographed themselves abusing Iraqi prisoners, and demanded the release of jailed relatives. Photo by Faleh Kheiber/Reuters

[Image: capt.mr10305051935.war_widow_mr103.jpg]

Lavinia Gelineau pauses as she speaks from her father-in-law's home in Eden, Vt., Wednesday, May 5, 2004. The widow of a Maine National Guard soldier killed in Iraq (news - web sites) last month is calling on Americans to question their government's policy in Iraq. Gelineau's husband, Christopher Gelineau, was a Starksboro, Vt. native who died April 20th after enemy fighters ambushed his convoy in northern Iraq.(AP Photo/Toby Talbot)

[Image: capt.arna10105052153.39th_attack_funeral_arna101.jpg]

Linda Kordsmeier, right, is comforted by her cousin Michael McDonald, as they stand over the casket of her husband Chief Warrant Officer Patrick W. Kordsmeier, after the fallen soldier's graveside service, Wednesday, May 5, 2004, at a veterans cemetery in North Little Rock, Ark. Kordsmeier died April 24, 2004, in an 80mm rocket strike against the 39th Infantry Brigade at Camp Cook north of Baghdad, Iraq (news - web sites). Three other Arkansans were killed in the attack. (AP Photo/Neemah Aaron)
05-05-2004 07:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

1125 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati, NKU

Folding@NCAAbbsSkunkworks

Schadenfreude Wrote:[Image: capt.w050579a.jpg]
2 Thumbs Up...That is a really sad situation
05-05-2004 07:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU

Schadenfreude Wrote:[Image: r735394764.jpg]

Iraqis demonstrate outside the prison of Abu Ghraib, west of the Iraqi capital of Baghdad May 5, 2004. Hundreds of Iraqis marched outside the walls of the military jail in Iraq (news - web sites) where U.S. soldiers photographed themselves abusing Iraqi prisoners, and demanded the release of jailed relatives. Photo by Faleh Kheiber/Reuters
I also share in the disgust for the torture that happened in that prison.

But just a side observation:

It's notable when American-on-Muslim torture causes such a fury in the Arab world (and beyond). Yet the same Arab world yawns at Muslim-on-Muslim torture, which is infinitely more widespread, severe, and not to mention state sponsored.

And this would be the same here, too. A beating by a prison guard in California on a local prisoner wouldn't draw half the collective ire as a Taliban thug doing the same to an American prisoner. It's as if people are more sensitive and riled up when it's not "one of their own" doing the vicious act.
05-05-2004 10:01 PM
Advertisement

Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

This is no different than what happens at the Skull and Bones initiation and we’re going to ruin people’s lives over it, and we’re going to hamper our military
effort, and then we’re going to really hammer ‘em because they had a good time.

You know, these people are being fired at everyday - I’m talking about the people having a good time.

You ever hear of emotional release?

You ever hear of need to blow some steam off?

These people are the enemy!
-Rush Limbaugh
05-06-2004 11:20 AM
Quote this message in a reply
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies

Oddball Wrote:This is no different than what happens at the Skull and Bones initiation and we’re going to ruin people’s lives over it, and we’re going to hamper our military
effort, and then we’re going to really hammer ‘em because they had a good time.

You know, these people are being fired at everyday - I’m talking about the people having a good time.

You ever hear of emotional release?

You ever hear of need to blow some steam off?

These people are the enemy!
-Rush Limbaugh
:roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

I always get a kick out of dims that listen to Rush and other conservative media. Yall are so quick to throw in a quote or two. Do you realize that you are helping these people that you hate make $$$? Of course you don't...Dims don't understand capitalism!

I would quote something from Franken or Gorafilo(sp?), but I don't listen to their radio shows. Now, some of their work on SNL was hilarious. :laugh:
05-06-2004 11:24 AM
Advertisement

Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Excellent rebuttal...or, whatever that was. :rolleyes:
05-06-2004 12:00 PM
Quote this message in a reply
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

Crappies

Oddball Wrote:Excellent rebuttal...or, whatever that was. :rolleyes:
Gracias mi amigo 03-razz
05-06-2004 12:08 PM
Advertisement

HuskieDan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

Motown Bronco Wrote:But just a side observation:

It's notable when American-on-Muslim torture causes such a fury in the Arab world (and beyond). Yet the same Arab world yawns at Muslim-on-Muslim torture, which is infinitely more widespread, severe, and not to mention state sponsored.
I think the problem is that we've supposedly already taken the stand on human rights and claim to be better than many because of it, yet this occurred under our watch. It's hypocritical of us to claim other countries for havnig lousy human rights records when we allow our military to do this (and yes, I understand that the scope of these abuses is not nearly what Saddam was doing).
05-07-2004 01:06 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

Crappies

The key part of your post was that you insenuated that we allowed our military to do this. Do you know for sure that we allowed it, or was this just an isolated sick group doing something that they were not supposed to be doing.
05-07-2004 01:22 PM
HuskieDan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

GrayBeard Wrote:The key part of your post was that you insenuated that we allowed our military to do this. Do you know for sure that we allowed it, or was this just an isolated sick group doing something that they were not supposed to be doing.
I was not (yet) suggesting that these people were ordered to do this.

It may have been a rogue group doing this. If it was, then the idiot that put these kinds of people in charge of the prison with such an infamous history in Iraqi lore should be court martialed.

Like it or not, this incident will not be blamed on 6 soldiers by the rest of the world. It'll be blamed on the hypocritical U.S. Trying to take a stand behind "no, this was just a couple of rogue individuals that have been relieved of duty" won't cull the hatred towards the U.S. this will incite.
05-07-2004 01:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.