Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Policies vs. Politics
Dogger Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Crappies

How do ribbons vs. medals compare to the ghastly images coming out of Iraq. This whole scenario sickens me. Do people realize that W didn't even know the difference between a Sunni and a Shiite muslim when he invaded? The planning for the aftermath of Iraq. For the first time in my life I can truly say I am afraid of our president. His actions will cost us dearly for many years to come and when I talk to my Republican friends all they can bring up is Bill Clinton's affair. Is this totally unbelievable?!?!?!
05-10-2004 09:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies

Dogger Wrote:How do ribbons vs. medals compare to the ghastly images coming out of Iraq. This whole scenario sickens me. Do people realize that W didn't even know the difference between a Sunni and a Shiite muslim when he invaded? The planning for the aftermath of Iraq. For the first time in my life I can truly say I am afraid of our president. His actions will cost us dearly for many years to come and when I talk to my Republican friends all they can bring up is Bill Clinton's affair. Is this totally unbelievable?!?!?!
Are you saying that the president is directly responsible for the abuse that happened to the Iraqi prisoners? You may want to think about it before you answer!
05-10-2004 09:35 AM
Dogger Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Crappies

Graybeard,

I really do think it's time for people to stop drinking W's Kool-Aid. We are Americans, we have never entered a conflict where we were not targeted first. Saddam had nothing, absolutely nothing to do with 9-11. Yet we invade Iraq on some intervention prevention manifesto garbage. (I've struggled to remember what the heck they called their reasoning of going into Iraq.) Quite simply he has created this mindset of you better get me before I get you. No W is not directly responsible for the abuses but his monumental ineptness in planning for a post war Iraq is. Tell me, what business does a reserve military police unit from Pa. and Md. have in extracting information from P.O.W.'s have. Who was in charge? These shadow govt. contractor's really sicken me. Why in the hell are they questioning people or softening up or giving the treatment to prisoners?
I tell you there has to come a time when we stand up and say enough. Yet good people like yourself seem to blindly follow this guy. I have many friends who think W is doing a good job under trying times. I don't see it. He ignored the Middle East, alienated crucial allies, (and no I'm not taking about France.... they are weasels who were in bed with Saddam) and just seemed to be hell bent on starting a war that history will prove was not justified. Now we have a huge mess where the payment will be in American blood. When it was his time to serve our country you could see his true colors. He decided to protect the Houston skies from Oklahoma.
05-10-2004 11:38 AM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

Crappies

Dogger Wrote:Graybeard,

I really do think it's time for people to stop drinking W's Kool-Aid. We are Americans, we have never entered a conflict where we were not targeted first. Saddam had nothing, absolutely nothing to do with 9-11. Yet we invade Iraq on some intervention prevention manifesto garbage. (I've struggled to remember what the heck they called their reasoning of going into Iraq.) Quite simply he has created this mindset of you better get me before I get you. No W is not directly responsible for the abuses but his monumental ineptness in planning for a post war Iraq is. Tell me, what business does a reserve military police unit from Pa. and Md. have in extracting information from P.O.W.'s have. Who was in charge? These shadow govt. contractor's really sicken me. Why in the hell are they questioning people or softening up or giving the treatment to prisoners?
I tell you there has to come a time when we stand up and say enough. Yet good people like yourself seem to blindly follow this guy. I have many friends who think W is doing a good job under trying times. I don't see it. He ignored the Middle East, alienated crucial allies, (and no I'm not taking about France.... they are weasels who were in bed with Saddam) and just seemed to be hell bent on starting a war that history will prove was not justified. Now we have a huge mess where the payment will be in American blood. When it was his time to serve our country you could see his true colors. He decided to protect the Houston skies from Oklahoma.
For the record, I like kool-aid, and it is cheap to make for myself and my kids. I am not a blind follower of the President either.

A couple of examples where I disagree:

Campaign finance reform-I would have vetoed and sent that garbage that no one really cares about to the trash where it belongs

Illegal Aliens- I say if they are caught send them back, no questions asked. Screw them, they are not legal and thus have NO rights in this country (constitution does not apply to them).

My biggest problem with the Iraq war, is that I don't believe we have acted with enough force to quell the current uprisings. It should have been planned for!

Will democracy be successful in IRAQ? If we tuck tail and run...NO, but if we stay around and help inforce the will of the elected officials, we can possibly start a dramatic change that could sweep through the Middle East.

Now, I think something needs to be done with the Saudis. We have protected their tails on numerous occassions, yet their citizens publicly denounce us, join/support organizations that try to kills us, and they screw us with oil prices.

Now, if the people that are responsible for torturing/humiliating the prisoners are not dealt with, then I will have a problem with it.

Ok, I am done for now.
05-10-2004 11:51 AM
Dogger Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Crappies

Graybeard,

What if they were ordered to soften them up. I had a class in college about the atrocities with the holocaust. I'm sure you know the experiment where the subject thought they were electrocuting someone on the other side of the panel and they kept on giving the juice when the leader of the study told them to. Now I know that these people went WAY beyond, but what about the shadow govt. contractors in charge and exactly who should be responsible.
05-10-2004 11:56 AM
Dogger Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Crappies

Did you hear that one of the reservists was accredited by his commander for being able to turn the Iraqi prisoners. He could really softened up, he gave em the treatment real good.
05-10-2004 12:00 PM
Advertisement

GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

Crappies

What if they were ordered to soften them up. I had a class in college about the atrocities with the holocaust. I'm sure you know the experiment where the subject thought they were electrocuting someone on the other side of the panel and they kept on giving the juice when the leader of the study told them to. Now I know that these people went WAY beyond, but what about the shadow govt. contractors in charge and exactly who should be responsible.
Whoever is responsible...if they were following orders, then those giving orders would have to be disciplined as well (even to a harsher extent).

My point is that you and other dims are really stretching when you blame the "torture" on the President.
05-10-2004 12:07 PM
Dogger Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Crappies

We need more of this is America. A chance to let your frustrations out about each party.
05-10-2004 12:14 PM
Dogger Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Crappies

Beard,

Have you ever thought that maybe conditions were set that maybe possibly could lead to situations like this?

What do you think will happen to the Patriot Act because of this? It's going to be interesting to see how far the pendulum swings. I certainly don't consider you dim. But maybe myself and other dims like me see some benefit of having contrasting ideas in our govt. Something like a check and balance. I don't think the track record of all branches of our govt. being conservative is leading us anywhere. I like my courts conservative, split legislatures, and my President a Democrat.

Thoughts?????
05-10-2004 12:15 PM
Dogger Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Crappies

Will democracy be successful in IRAQ? If we tuck tail and run...NO, but if we stay around and help inforce the will of the elected officials, we can possibly start a dramatic change that could sweep through the Middle East.

It's kinda funny, how we went from WMD's, to stopping a dictator who tortured people and the Iraqi's will have a better life, to sweeping dramatic changes in the Mideast because of democracy. Do all you neo con guys get your talking points from the same site or just listen to Rush and watch Bill like a bunch of sheep.
This one they can't get wrong because there will be sweeping changes. But will it be for the better or worse?
05-10-2004 12:28 PM
KlutzDio I Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Point of clarification here,

First of all, the U.S. has been the aggressor nation in many wars, most notably The Spanish-American War, WW1 (or the USA got involved when no real threat to the USA existed) and the Vietnam War.

There are various proxy wars such as the Panama affair of 1990 (or was that in '89?), the Grenada invasion of 1983, the Kosovo bombardment, and this list can go on and on.

The rhetoric that led to our involvement with all of these military actions is quite similar to the rhetoric employed by the Bush Administration. In the case of WW1, Wilson feared political ramifications for not acting to engage Germany and the Central Powers. As a consequent, he took advantage of political rhetoric seeking to damage his presidency and used it to rally the people to support the war. What many don't realize today about WW1 is that the draft was put into use because so many Americans were opposed to the war.

By argument one could claim the USA was the aggressor in the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, the Mexican War, WW2 and the Korean "police-action." In some cases the arguments are very persuasive, but the nation did not act militarily until being attacked, the Mexican War notwithstanding.

As for W's responsibility in the abuse case, there are precedents that claim W is directly responsible for what happened at that prison, and what has happened to other "detainees" in Iraq.

On a psychological basis, and the U.S. Army has studied this extensively since WW2, soldiers of all stripes break down psychologically as a result of combat. In the WW1 era they called this "shell-shock" or combat fatigue. By the end of WW2 the Army realized that shell-shock did not mean mere refusal to fight as it connotes, but it represented what historian James McPherson called "combat narcosis" and this is the adrenaline rush one receives when faced with near-death experiences. This same rush can be experienced, on a milder level, by extreme sports enthusiasts when they bungee jump, snow-ski, or skydive.

One constant of all warfare for all nations and cultures since the beginning of time is combat makes some men and women (not all) commit atrocities, some atrocities being just cruel and dehumanizing acts like the guard soldiers in the Abu Ghraib photos, and some atrocities being completely unheard of such as the My Lai massacre in Vietnam.

The psychological component that compels men to do terrible things in combat has been explored by many authors over the past 100 years, but perhaps the best work and research has been provided by Sidney Axinn in 'A Moral Military' and the often referred to 'Just and Unjust Wars' by Michael Walzer. But John Keegan's 'Face of Battle' focuses entirely what men experience in battle and he uses four historical battles to bring his conclusions to light (none of the battle involve U.S. servicemen or women). In his accounts of this four battles, he brings up the atrocities that were committed and how the men dealt with the atrocities after the fact.

Sidney Axinn, in his book, brought up an important fact regarding our military, and this is how George W. is directly invovled. He examines our congressional acts and treaties that make us a part of international organizations that govern warfare, the Geneva and Hague Conventions. As part of our congress approving our involvement in these acts, our government is supposed to inform all service eligible males (and now possibly females) by age 18 of the entirety of these rules. Not only the U.S. but all nations that have agreed to the Geneva and Hague Conventions on international rules of war are to inform their populations as to these rules, whether they are in the military or not.

This has never been acted upon, either by the U.S. or most other nations (I think the French have a high school elective that deals with it, the Swiss actively abide by all rules).

What links this to Bush is his war plan of involving what General Stormin' Norman Schwartzkopf called "junk troops" or specifically National Guardsmen and reservists. In most Army, navy, Marine and Air Force boot camps, the boots are given some instruction on rules of war as per the conventions. This is usually done in classroom form after a 14 hour day of P.T.

Enlisted guardsmen, to my knowledge, are never informed of such standards unless entering a battlezone, which is hardly not the time to bring up military ethics.

It is a given that in any war Americans or other combatants will commit acts of atrocities. No one person, based on their national origin, religion or creed is excepted to this and that is why these provisions to educate the masses on the rules of war, are contained in the Geneva and Hague Conventions.

Atrocities come with the territory of war and Bush wanted this war, and since atrocities have happened (and we are only hearing and seeing about the "milder" atrocities) then GW Bush is certainly directly responsible for these actions committed by our reservists and National Guardsmen fighting a war they were not trained to fight.

What Axinn also elucidates in his book (used at all of the militar academies in this country) is if the USA is part of the conventions, then why don't we follow all the rules? Why include these conventions as our official government policy if we don't intend to abide by everything laid out in the agreements?
05-10-2004 12:56 PM
Advertisement

Dogger Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Crappies

Our populations were targeted in WW1... Luisitania? The Spanish- American War??? Panama????? Panama was a polica' action to stop a drug dealer. I'm not up on Teddy Roosevelt era wars but I do believe one of our battleships was targeted before we entered the fray.
05-10-2004 01:25 PM
KlutzDio I Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Dogger Wrote:Our populations were targeted in WW1... Luisitania? The Spanish- American War??? Panama????? Panama was a polica' action to stop a drug dealer. I'm not up on Teddy Roosevelt era wars but I do believe one of our battleships was targeted before we entered the fray.
The Lusitania was not an American luxury ocean liner and it was carrying war munitions and materiel to aid Britain. Of the passenger roster, only 115 or so persons were American citizens.

Also, this act of German U-Boats destroying merchant and civilian passenger ships was a problem long before Wilson sought a declaration of war. The Lusitania, for example, was sunk in 1915 and Wilson was defiant among his political enemies in congress, defiant in that he still sought nuetrality despite the sinking of the Lusitania.

The sinking of ships containing American passengers was problematic long during the war, the Lusitania was sunk at a time when more Americans were onboard than other ship sinkings by the Central Powers prior to 1915.

The aiding of the allies came with a formal warning from the German embassy in 1914 as the war began, and clearly the United States could not have been a neutral nation, as per Wilson's official policy, if we were continually sending supplies to the French and British.

The Spanish American war was lobbied for long before the sinking of the Maine. Also, shortly after the sinking of the Maine, a commission was sent to study why the boat sank. Was it an enemy torpedo, a bomb, an act of terrorism? Or, was it munitions error? The commission discovered that it was improper munitions placement onboard the Maine that caused a whole supply room of shells to explode, thus sinking the battleship. This was discovered by photos showing the explosion ripping the metal girders outward, rather than inward. This shows that whatever explosion that detonated the blast came from within the ship.

The commission's findings re-iterated the insistence of the Spanish government that they had nothing to do with the Maine, but the findings came around 1912, long after the Span-American war was waged. The results of the commission were not released to the American public until 1999, one hundred and one years after the event occured.

We went into Panama to capture Manuel Noriega and drugs were the reasons cited for selling the action to the public. Basically, Noriega quit playing ball with our CIA and NSA guys down there, so he had to go.

Usually when the United States goes to war, there aren't any acts of aggression against us, only perceptions of acts of aggression and the best example of that would be a portion of the United States, the Confederacy.

They fired the first shots of the Civil War in January of 1861, before most of the participating states actually seceeded from the Union. After almost all of the states had left the Union, the question of one federal arsenal, Ft. Sumter, left unanswered.

A political deal was hammered out that the U.S. troops occupying the fort could stay as long as they did not engage the Charlestonians or any Confederate boat or shipping. Lincoln informed General Pierre Gustav Toutant Beauregard that the troops at the fort needed to be resupplied. Beauregard agreed on the condition that the supplies could only be foodstuffs and not military hardware, i.e.weapons or ammunition.

As the re-supply ship was about to dock with the fort, Beauregard acted on false intelligence that military supplies were en route and ordered the fort to be leveled. After almost 40 hours of bombardment, the first Civil War casualty resulted when a Federal gunner was accidentally killed while cleaning a cannon. This happened shortly after a cease-fire.

The next day is history. The Union states were outraged that treasonists would fire upon the American flag. Lincoln ordered the Virginia counties neighboring D.C. to be taken and held, along with an executive order calling for 75,000 volunteers to protect the Union. Two days later, Virginia officially left the Union citing an armed force was about to overrun the state. Within a month, North Carolina followed suit now that their state was sandwhiched by "lands and peoples hostile to the Federal government..."

Consider, in addition, the case of the first Gulf War, no Iraqi had attacked Americans and we waged a war. There was only the perception of threats against our nation.
05-10-2004 04:34 PM
FtLauderdaleRocket Offline
Yet Another Florida Rocket

I Root For: Toledo

KlutzDio I Wrote:

I really do think it's time for people to stop drinking W's Kool-Aid.  We are Americans,  we have never entered a conflict where we were not targeted first.  Saddam had nothing, absolutely nothing to do with 9-11.  Yet we invade Iraq on some intervention prevention manifesto garbage.  (I've struggled to remember what the heck they called their reasoning of going into Iraq.)  Quite simply he has created this mindset of you better get me before I get you.  No W is not directly responsible for the abuses but his monumental ineptness in planning for a post war Iraq is.  Tell me,  what business does a reserve military police unit from Pa. and Md. have in extracting information from P.O.W.'s have.  Who was in charge?  These shadow govt. contractor's really sicken me.  Why in the hell are they questioning people or softening up or giving the treatment to prisoners? 
Point of clarification here,

First of all, the U.S. has been the aggressor nation in many wars, most notably The Spanish-American War, WW1 (or the USA got involved when no real threat to the USA existed) and the Vietnam War.
Your point of clarification needs clarification. WWI was a world war. Yes...there was already a war going on that we joined to support our allies.

Panama-we removed a dictator of a country that we used to run (via the Panama Canal).

Vietnam-Not that I agree......but this was the continuation of the established policy to "stop the spread of Communism".......

Now.......why did we invade Iraq? <a href='http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2002/09/20020912-1.html' target='_blank'>http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/20...20020912-1.html</a>

After reading that.......and with hindsight being 20/20...........was this war still a good idea?
05-10-2004 10:39 PM
Dogger Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Crappies

After the mini lecture on the Spanish American and WWI precursors of American involvement, I still contend that we were never targeted or were to be targeted. We have national interests in that region and it is a black liquid that Haliburton has it's grips on. Don't kid yourself.
We have lost our standing as a world leader. The ramifications of W's policies will be felt for many years to come. The only good I can see from this is hopefully we find an alternative resource to propel our cars. Think of the billions of dollars we spend on keeping the oil pipeline from the mideast to our ports secure. Hopefully a Dem will get into office and we propose a moonshot effort in fuel cells or any other promising source.
05-11-2004 07:11 AM
Dogger Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Crappies

Oh..... I nearly forgot Rummy's secret army of thugs I mean contractors will escape from this fiasco without prosecution. There was no higher authority. They have no laws. CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS!!!!!! We send a bunch of Marlboro Men over to another country and they arrest innocent people (90%) by some accords, torture them, soften em' up, gieve em' the treatment ....... FOR WHAT!!!!!!! WMD"S oh the irony kills me.
05-11-2004 07:22 AM
Advertisement

KlutzDio I Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Dogger Wrote:After the mini lecture on the Spanish American and WWI precursors of American involvement, I still contend that we were never targeted or were to be targeted. We have national interests in that region and it is a black liquid that Haliburton has it's grips on. Don't kid yourself.
We have lost our standing as a world leader. The ramifications of W's policies will be felt for many years to come. The only good I can see from this is hopefully we find an alternative resource to propel our cars. Think of the billions of dollars we spend on keeping the oil pipeline from the mideast to our ports secure. Hopefully a Dem will get into office and we propose a moonshot effort in fuel cells or any other promising source.
So a Dem is unlikely to continue the current war or is equally unlikely to begin another war?

Think again.

Dems start their own little wars. Two dems and GOPper began Vietnam--Ike, Kennedy and LBJ. The last GOPper--Nixon--wanted to reinvigorate the war, then finally gave up.

Truman began his little war "to stop the spread of communism" as Ft. Lauderdale pointed out. Now Ft.LRocket, tell us why stopping communism is the responsibility of the USA, past or present? Does stopping communism carry such urgency that it gives the USA the right to intervene in another nation's policies, i.e. Korea, Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia (Nicaragua, Honduras, El Salvador)?

Probably moreso on the final three parenthetically mentioned nations thanks to the Monroe Doctrine. But on the far east nations mentioned? How does the USA reserve rights to intervene in another nation's affairs solely for stopping the spread of communism? Didn't we claim only Americans can mind their own affairs as reasoning for kicking the British out? Didn't the Brits think they had "moral authority" over the colonists much like we have "moral authority" over those peoples who may wish to be communists?

Parallel our other discussion on communism, to point out the gulf of differences with Stalinism and communism, look at Red China--certainly not the model state--but they split with Stalin years ago and now they have a mixed economy that is edging closer to capitalism everyday. Look at Vietnam since they kicked us Americans out. They don't have a Stalinist regime, do they? They may not have the form of economy that I would choose, but they certainly aren't mudering millions like a Stalinist regime, much like Saddam's Ba'athist regime (which is more remniscent to Stalin than Hitler).

But back to my original point here, Dogger. Dems start and wage wars. Clinton did it, Truman did it, Roosevelt did it (maybe not start a war), and what makes you believe Kerry wouldn't start a war or any other Democrat? They take money from big contributors and are bound to them. Democrats, furthermore, will listen to their national party organization and leadership over the American people and if the DNC leadership says go to war for whatever reason, then so be it. Also consider political expediency being the largest reasoning behind LBJ's escalation of the Vietnam War. He had Repoob political opponents who would call him "weak on communism" if he had not escalated it.

Ft.LRocket, war is never a good idea. It is like saying let's get an enema for fun.

Perhaps you should read up on the Noriega affair. Perhaps you should read up on WW1 and U.S. involvement because the viewpoint you wrote down is more in the realm of fiction, but you were so brief who the heck could tell what you meant by your statements?
05-11-2004 07:54 AM
FtLauderdaleRocket Offline
Yet Another Florida Rocket

I Root For: Toledo

I was brief because......lets be honest.......there is no logical reason to compare this war to any others.

It was called World War I.........and today we have the Iraqi War. There is a big difference there. I understand how and why WWI occurred.....but there is absolutely no comparison b/t the two Wars as todays war was "pre-emptive".

Panama was an entirely different ballgame as well. We went in to remove somebody that we put into power to take care of "our" canal. He decided to piss us off and start collecting a little bit of drug money.......so we took him out and the country was back to normal. Panamanians weren't exaclty upset by this as the canal zone was essentially the 51st state as it was.

The US has started something that is very, very dangerous. We now are into pre-emptive wars. Thus.......any country doing anything that could potentially impact our "interests" in a negative way...........could feel our wrath. We didn't have UN approval.......so we said.......who needs it and we went in alone. I know, I know......we have "allies" but who is fronting 90% of the costs monetarily and resource wise? Yes.....the US.

The point is......we've established a doctrine that is pissing many people off. Our doctrine is now we'll do whatever we damned well please as we're the lone superpower. So...who's next? Iran, Syria, N. Korea? Who wants some of this??? Huh.......huh???

We have managed to piss off the worlds largest religion.......Islam. We had already pissed them off......but now we're shaking the hornets nest.

Relating to the situation in Iraq.......here are a few ideas, I just thought of these quickly.....so I know they're terribly flawed:
A) an exhaustive study on how we've managed to piss off the entire Islamic world.
B) A plan to remedy the results of A)....see D) for ideas to start.
C) Go to the UN and say "you win" and let the rest of the world come into Iraq to "share" the wealth aka rebuilding contracts, oil, etc.
D) Establish Palestine and remove all Israeli settlements. Establish all holy ground in Israel/Palestine as "international property" and staff permanently with a multinational UN peacekeeping force. Take out all current leadership of Israel and the PLO and establish new diplomatic relations through an international system.....the UN.
05-11-2004 05:55 PM
Dogger Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Crappies

Ft. lauderdale,

I have always thought that Jerusalem should be the capital of the UN. Neither side would get the holy city. We would have an international presence there. This was proposed in 1948 but Isreal rejected it. Truman's memoirs reflect upon the greediness of the Jewish state. The thorn in the majority of Islam's side is our unconditional support of Isreal. Both sides have blood on their hands.
This whole thing really sickens me. Bush's almost juvenile look at what's wrong and right in the world has compounded the problem. As I stated in the very first post he didn't even know the difference between a Sunni and a Shiite. This country has a C student in charge who by his own acclaims doesn't read the newspapers, and again by his own acclaims says once he makes a decision doesn't bother reflecting upon that decisions ramifications.
Scary my friends,,, very scary.
05-12-2004 07:05 AM
KlutzDio I Offline
1st String

I Root For:

FtLauderdaleRocket Wrote:I was brief because......lets be honest.......there is no logical reason to compare this war to any others.

It was called World War I.........and today we have the Iraqi War. There is a big difference there. I understand how and why WWI occurred.....but there is absolutely no comparison b/t the two Wars as todays war was "pre-emptive".

Panama was an entirely different ballgame as well. We went in to remove somebody that we put into power to take care of "our" canal. He decided to piss us off and start collecting a little bit of drug money.......so we took him out and the country was back to normal. Panamanians weren't exaclty upset by this as the canal zone was essentially the 51st state as it was.

The US has started something that is very, very dangerous. We now are into pre-emptive wars. Thus.......any country doing anything that could potentially impact our "interests" in a negative way...........could feel our wrath. We didn't have UN approval.......so we said.......who needs it and we went in alone. I know, I know......we have "allies" but who is fronting 90% of the costs monetarily and resource wise? Yes.....the US.

The point is......we've established a doctrine that is pissing many people off. Our doctrine is now we'll do whatever we damned well please as we're the lone superpower. So...who's next? Iran, Syria, N. Korea? Who wants some of this??? Huh.......huh???

We have managed to piss off the worlds largest religion.......Islam. We had already pissed them off......but now we're shaking the hornets nest.

Relating to the situation in Iraq.......here are a few ideas, I just thought of these quickly.....so I know they're terribly flawed:
A) an exhaustive study on how we've managed to piss off the entire Islamic world.
B) A plan to remedy the results of A)....see D) for ideas to start.
C) Go to the UN and say "you win" and let the rest of the world come into Iraq to "share" the wealth aka rebuilding contracts, oil, etc.
D) Establish Palestine and remove all Israeli settlements. Establish all holy ground in Israel/Palestine as "international property" and staff permanently with a multinational UN peacekeeping force. Take out all current leadership of Israel and the PLO and establish new diplomatic relations through an international system.....the UN.
Several clarifications are warranted here.

Comparisons to wars are oftentimes made for very logical reasons. First, the tactics of the previous war help fight the next. Second, outlining attitudes of those on the homefront during many wars is easily comparable. Consider the Patriot Act with Woodrow Wilson's Elkins Act. Both laws sought to take civil liberties away from certain Americans.

Also consider Wilson's reasoning for going to war with Bush's reasoning: to make the world safe for democracy; or safe from terrorism; "to democratize the region..."

Wars are all different and sometimes the tactical expertise gained in one war will prove very costly in the next. Rhetoric usually stays the same, regardless of the war. McPherson called this "rage militaire."

All wars are pre-emptive, especially the Spanish-American War. The U.S. wanted Cuba long before 1898. If you look at large, city newspapers from the era, you'll read the rhetoric of many that claimed the Germans would land on our shores if we didn't help the French and Brits in Europe in 1916 and 1917. In this sense, the first World War was pre-emptive.

So how did World War I occur? I'd like to know your rendition.

Panama was a proxy war and I specifically mentioned that in an above post. And Noriega was involved in drugs back into the Carter Administration and the U.S. gov. knew about it.

Our doctrines have pist folks off before and this is nothing new. The world will get over it, the only new aspect would be that there is no nation to counter our power, as has been the case throughout the USA's existence as a nation.

Hinduism is probably the world's largest religion.

Actually, we've been pissing off the Muslims for a long time. Ever since the Industrial Revolution and arguably since the beginning of the U.S. government when "heathen" religions were denounced.

I don't think the U.N. has the power, the influence nor the authority to make Iraq any better of a place than we can, we merely have the wrong team on the job. Cheney, Wolfie, Condi, Georgie, Karly and all of the oligarchs are just happy they're getting rich.

Your idea of "D" was already tried in the late 50s, early 60s and what is happening over there now is a result of making "holy ground" international property.

I don't really think there's a solution for the Israel/Palestinian mess. They've been fighting for centuries and to assume the U.S. or the U.N. could do some good is folly.

I agree with you that Bush sucks and he has to go, but in many respects the problems the nation faces aren't so easily solveable. Our heavy-handed foreign policies have been in place for a long time and we didn't get in our current mess overnight.
05-12-2004 01:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.