Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Gore Encourages People to See 'Tomorrow'
1125 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati, NKU

Folding@NCAAbbsSkunkworks

[Image: capt.la10305041857.film_climate_change_movie_la103.jpg]
Tue May 11, 4:44 PM ET

WASHINGTON - Former Vice President Al Gore says people should see the upcoming movie "The Day After Tomorrow," in which global warming suddenly creates a new ice age that freezes entire cities.

Scientists and Gore agree that the movie is loose with the scientific facts, but the Democratic presidential nominee in 2000 said he hopes the film will get people to start talking about climate change.

"It's an emergency that seems to be unfolding in slow motion, but it actually is occurring very swiftly — not as swiftly as the movie portrays, but swiftly in the context of human history," Gore said Tuesday in a conference call organized by the liberal advocacy group MoveOn.org.

Gore and MoveOn.org are promoting a leafletting campaign, where volunteers will distribute fliers when the film opens on Memorial Day weekend. Gore said he has read the script and seen the trailer and anticipates seeing an advance screening of the film.

The fliers describe the weather crisis in the movie as "over the top," but say global warming is real and that President Bush is doing nothing to stop it.

Republican National Committee spokesman Christine Iverson said given that Gore chose Howard Dean to win the Democratic primary race, "it's doubtful that the American people will be willing to rely on him as a movie critic."
05-11-2004 07:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

moloch_322 Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawt chix & UCF
Crappies

Though we won't see rapid weather changes as depicted in the movie, we will see more bizarre weather, or a possible pole shift, with the active sun going through more frequently violent solar cycles.
[Image: noaa_coronalhole.jpg]
05-11-2004 09:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
T-Monay820 Offline
Get Rotor-vated!

I Root For: Duke, VPI

UCBearcats1125 Wrote:Gore and MoveOn.org are promoting a leafletting campaign, where volunteers will distribute fliers when the film opens on Memorial Day weekend.
Isn't this interesting. Tons of leaflets to people who just don't care. Anyone heard? The sky is falling...
05-11-2004 11:21 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies

moloch_322 Wrote:Though we won't see rapid weather changes as depicted in the movie, we will see more bizarre weather, or a possible pole shift, with the active sun going through more frequently violent solar cycles.
[Image: noaa_coronalhole.jpg]
The ice age, times of abnormal high temps, and time of abnormal low temps coincide perfectly with activity of the sun, with the exception of massive volcanic eruptions of enough magnitude to block out the sun and have a cooling effect.
05-12-2004 02:29 AM
1125 Offline
Heisman

The earth's temperature is a trend...it fluctuates
05-12-2004 08:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest

UCBearcats1125 Wrote:WASHINGTON - Former Vice President Al Gore says people should see the upcoming movie "The Day After Tomorrow," in which global warming suddenly creates a new ice age that freezes entire cities.
03-confused 03-confused 03-confused
05-12-2004 08:09 AM
Advertisement

1125 Offline
Heisman

DrTorch Wrote:
UCBearcats1125 Wrote:WASHINGTON - Former Vice President Al Gore says people should see the upcoming movie "The Day After Tomorrow," in which global warming suddenly creates a new ice age that freezes entire cities.
Yeah I read that like 5 times and have no idea how they get to that conclusion... 03-confused 03-confused 03-confused 03-confused 03-confused
05-12-2004 08:14 AM
georgew Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Science is a wonderful thing, many times they are dead on the money with their theories, sometimes they are not. As mentioned above the earth has changed before, what makes us think it won't again? Can you slow down the process or speed it up? Only God knows! To be unconcerned is one thing, to be fanatical is another. We should all be good stewards of what has been entrusted to us without going over the deep end.
05-12-2004 12:06 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies

georgew Wrote:Science is a wonderful thing, many times they are dead on the money with their theories, sometimes they are not. As mentioned above the earth has changed before, what makes us think it won't again? Can you slow down the process or speed it up? Only God knows! To be unconcerned is one thing, to be fanatical is another. We should all be good stewards of what has been entrusted to us without going over the deep end.
You'll get my vote! :bluethumb:
05-12-2004 12:28 PM
Fanatical Offline
lost in dreams of hops & barley

I Root For: South Park Cows

georgew Wrote:....to be fanatical is another.
Yes it is.... 04-rock
05-12-2004 01:20 PM
Wryword Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

I'm glad NASA still gets a signal from our space probe Alphagore. Just the same, it is a strange thing to find the probe singing "Tomorrow, tomorrow, there'll always be tomorrow...."
05-12-2004 08:06 PM
Advertisement

Wryword Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

UCBearcats1125 Wrote:
DrTorch Wrote:
Yeah I read that like 5 times and have no idea how they get to that conclusion... 03-confused 03-confused 03-confused 03-confused 03-confused
Y'all just don't have Alphagore's vision.
05-12-2004 08:09 PM
MaumeeRocket Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Oh, how i've missed Al. Personally, I think they should give him his own talk show "The World According to Al", where he can give wonderful insight into flying cars and how his invention "the internet" is changing the world.
05-12-2004 08:26 PM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Amazing what irrational hatred will allow you to swallow. :rolleyes:
05-12-2004 08:30 PM
Quote this message in a reply
moloch_322 Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawt chix & UCF
Crappies

I love how in disaster movies all these tragedies seem to happen in major cities conveniently avoiding those little pit stop towns along the interstate. :laugh:

In my opinion the worst of these movies is 'Volcano'. 03-puke
05-12-2004 08:33 PM
OUGwave Offline
All American

I Root For:

UCBearcats1125 Wrote:
DrTorch Wrote:
Basically, the scenario goes that the rapid shift in climate (note thats distinct from temperature) will disturb the polar ice flows which will shift climate zones worldwide before nature can adapt itself, and that could create a new ice age.

The arguement these people put forth is that its not the fact that warming is happening that matters--Climate ALWAYS shifts--their position is that because of anthropogenic warming (caused by human factors, like pollution), the RATE of change will be so rapid that a natural adaptation will be impossible.

One example in this thinking is what it could do to Agriculture worldwide. Soil conditions in the U.S. grain belt (Iowa and the plains states) align perfectly with climate conditions. This makes it possible for the U.S. grain belt to essentially feed the entire world. However, if over the course of 25-30 years, the climate zones shift so that the climate zone of northern Canada is now the climate zone of the grain belt, we have serious problems. Grain shortages will cause food prices to skyrocket around the world. The political-economic fallout of this cannot be underestimated.

Thats just one example of the consequences if these people are right. It won't be that you wake up one day and the world has frozen over. But over time, it will play havoc with our social, political, and economic order.

I don't know if I believe it. Frankly I don't believe there is enough data available to build effective long-term models and make comparisons. If we don't know the rate of warming, its hard to make any judgements.

Its definitely worth more study though.
05-13-2004 12:26 AM
Advertisement

MaumeeRocket Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Oddball Wrote:Amazing what irrational hatred will allow you to swallow. :rolleyes:
Its not hatred, he's really funny to listen to.
05-13-2004 02:53 AM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

MaumeeRocket Wrote:
Oddball Wrote:Amazing what irrational hatred will allow you to swallow. :rolleyes:
Its not hatred, he's really funny to listen to.
Then why the often repeated, although thoroughly debunked, lies about him?
05-13-2004 05:18 AM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Lies about what? I knew he never said he invented the internet, although he said, "while in the Senate I took the INITIATIVE in CREATING the internet"......which was BS since the Internet was created by DARPA and a college in the 60's and named DARPANET, but he did tell a lie on THAT issue. Other than that....I think he was as clueless about the Clinton Admin as the rest of us. ...which says alot about him.

BTW, I know what he did with the internet. He, and a BI-EFFING-PARTISAN EFFORT, mind you, allocated the money that created hubs around the country for what you "citizens" call the internet today.
05-13-2004 05:34 AM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Then you realize what a lie it is? Cool.

Even Newt acknowledged Gore's leadership on the issue. Maybe the rest of you can learn from him and be big enough men to accept that what he said was the truth, and the party of liars you support distorted his comments, and you all blindly repeated it like the sheep that you are. :wave:
05-13-2004 07:30 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.