Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

I think this guy reads this board.
Ninerfan1 Offline
Habitual Line Stepper

I Root For: Charlotte

Many of these points have been made here over and over by those who look to logic and reason for their views.

I swear this guy reads this board.

Quote:Bushing-Bashing B.S.
The president’s opponents hate him — and hate reason.

By Mark Goldblatt

Two friends of mine recently got into a brief political debate after our weekly softball game. Friend A argued that George W. Bush was "a moron"; Friend B, on the other hand, insisted that Bush was "an evil SOB." The issue was resolved when A noted that the two propositions weren't mutually exclusive: Bush could be an evil SOB who also happened to be a moron.

What's remarkable about this exchange is that it's so unremarkable — indeed, it's difficult to dine out in Manhattan nowadays and not overhear a conversation along these lines. New Yorkers, who pride themselves on their sophistication, seem honestly to believe that calling the president names constitutes a compelling argument against his policies. But that's only the most glaring logical error at work in what might be described as the Bashers' Case Against Bush.

Another common error is the idea that a connection equals a cause — call it the Michael Moore Fallacy. Bush bashers invariably point to his family's business dealings with the oil-rich Saudi royal family, or to Dick Cheney's former job as head of the oil company Halliburton, and therefore assume that the administration's policies toward Iraq are dictated primarily by the fact that the country sits on billions of gallons of oil. But playing connect-the-dots in order to prove someone's motives is always tricky, and often absurd. For example: Noam Chomsky's book sales have skyrocketed since the invasion of Iraq; Chomsky teaches at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology; MIT is a major contractor for the Department of Defense; the Iraqi war strengthens the Defense Department requests for budget increases.... Therefore, Noam Chomsky conspired with the Defense Department to convince President Bush to invade Iraq.

What's lacking in every basher argument against Bush's preemptive war in Iraq is a grasp of who bears the burden of proof. The casus belli, according to Bush, was that Saddam was in violation of the cease-fire agreement that left him in power after the first Gulf War — and, following September 11, such defiance could no longer be tolerated. Bush's claim might be written off as mere flimflam — except that Saddam actually was in violation of the cease-fire agreement, and September 11 actually did alter many Americans' perceptions of tolerable risks. Moreover, we now know that Bush had learned of secret meetings between al Qaeda and Iraqi officials, that he'd learned of Saddam's attempts to acquire uranium from Niger, and that he'd been warned by Russian President Vladimir Putin that Saddam was planning terrorist strikes against the United States.

Yet Bush's stated rationale for going to war is universally sneered at by Bush bashers. On what basis? Typically, the basher will simply insist on his own ability to peer into Bush's soul to discern the "true" motive — dismissing as irrelevant Bush's specific justifications. And the "true" motive is always the same: Bush invaded Iraq to line the pockets of his corporate capitalist cronies.

To suppose this, however, is to suppose that President Bush, Vice President Cheney, Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, Secretary of State Colin Powell, National Security Advisor Condoleezza Rice, et. al., were willing, in effect, to commit mass murder in order to enrich themselves and their friends. Here's where the burden of proof comes in. Believing such a thing entails a burden of proof so astronomically high that nothing short of a videotape of the parties actually plotting it — or at least a signed memo detailing that plot — would even begin to surmount any rational observer's doubt.

To be sure, nothing I've just said proves that President Bush was right to invade Iraq. It was a tough call, and reasonable people can disagree on its wisdom. But reasonable people do not base their arguments on name-calling or mind-reading.

Then again, the category "reasonable people" does not include many Bush bashers.
08-05-2004 11:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

safetyeagle Offline
POOTNANNY

I Root For: USM

Quote:Then again, the category "reasonable people" does not include many Bush bashers.

Quote:I swear this guy reads this board.

yeah i believe he does
08-05-2004 12:50 PM
Advertisement

Socko Wiethe Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Ninerfan1 Wrote:Many of these points have been made here over and over by those who look to logic and reason for their views.

By Mark Goldblatt
Logic and reason ought to easily tell you that people have justifiable reasons to call him names. He misled the country about the most emotional issue a president can ever put before the people 18 months ago, and has been ducking and dodging ever since -- or at least on those rare occasions when he's actually been cornered and required to talk about it in his own words.

Your National Review writer is right about one thing -- burden of proof is the pivotal point. We are at the point where the president bears the burden of proof for showing why he made the decision to go to war, and I think we all know why he's none to eager to engage in that discussion.

<a href='http://www.inthesetimes.com/site/main/article/they_knew_0802/' target='_blank'>Whitewash</a>
08-05-2004 02:01 PM
The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Socko Wiethe Wrote:
Ninerfan1 Wrote:Many of these points have been made here over and over by those who look to logic and reason for their views.

By Mark Goldblatt
Logic and reason ought to easily tell you that people have justifiable reasons to call him names. He misled the country about the most emotional issue a president can ever put before the people 18 months ago, and has been ducking and dodging ever since -- or at least on those rare occasions when he's actually been cornered and required to talk about it in his own words.

Your National Review writer is right about one thing -- burden of proof is the pivotal point. We are at the point where the president bears the burden of proof for showing why he made the decision to go to war, and I think we all know why he's none to eager to engage in that discussion.

<a href='http://www.inthesetimes.com/site/main/article/they_knew_0802/' target='_blank'>Whitewash</a>
Here we go again.

He "misled" the country. The senators who voted to go to war and supported it had nothing to do with any of this.

John Kerry endorsing and supporting this war does not matter. Bush "misled" the nation.

Ah, the argument is getting lame and repetitve from the liberals.

The only misleading of this nation will be if the fraud gets put in office. The only misleading thing about this election is Kerry's remarks compared to his voting record. The only misleading thing about this election is John Kerry's account of what he did in Vietnam.
08-05-2004 02:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.