Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Iraqi National Team Upset by Bush Campaign Ads
MichiganTiger Offline
The Right Honorable

I Root For: the UofMs

Donators

<a href='http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/olympics/2004/writers/08/19/iraq/index.html' target='_blank'>link</a>

Unwilling participants

Iraqi soccer players angered by Bush campaign ads featuring team

Posted: Thursday August 19, 2004 12:50PM; Updated: Thursday August 19, 2004 1:28PM

PATRAS, Greece -- Iraqi midfielder Salih Sadir scored a goal here on Wednesday night, setting off a rousing celebration among the 1,500 Iraqi soccer supporters at Pampeloponnisiako Stadium. Though Iraq -- the surprise team of the Olympics -- would lose to Morocco 2-1, it hardly mattered as the Iraqis won Group D with a 2-1 record and now face Australia in the quarterfinals on Sunday.

Afterward, Sadir had a message for U.S. president George W. Bush, who is using the Iraqi Olympic team in his latest re-election campaign advertisements.

In those spots, the flags of Iraq and Afghanistan appear as a narrator says, "At this Olympics there will be two more free nations -- and two fewer terrorist regimes."

"Iraq as a team does not want Mr. Bush to use us for the presidential campaign," Sadir told SI.com through a translator, speaking calmly and directly. "He can find another way to advertise himself."

Ahmed Manajid, who played as a midfielder on Wednesday, had an even stronger response when asked about Bush's TV advertisement. "How will he meet his god having slaughtered so many men and women?" Manajid told me. "He has committed so many crimes."

The Bush campaign was contacted about the Iraqi soccer player's statements, but has yet to respond.

To a man, members of the Iraqi Olympic delegation say they are glad that former Olympic committee head Uday Hussein, who was responsible for the serial torture of Iraqi athletes and was killed four months after the U.S.-led coalition invaded Iraq in March 2003, is no longer in power.

But they also find it offensive that Bush is using their team for his own gain when they do not support his administration's actions in Iraq. "My problems are not with the American people," says Iraqi soccer coach Adnan Hamad. "They are with what America has done in Iraq: destroy everything. The American army has killed so many people in Iraq. What is freedom when I go to the [national] stadium and there are shootings on the road?"

At a speech in Beaverton, Ore., last Friday, Bush attached himself to the Iraqi soccer team after its opening-game upset of Portugal. "The image of the Iraqi soccer team playing in this Olympics, it's fantastic, isn't it?" Bush said. "It wouldn't have been free if the United States had not acted."

Sadir, Wednesday's goal-scorer, used to be the star player for the professional soccer team in Najaf. In the city in which 20,000 fans used to fill the stadium and chant Sadir's name, U.S. and Iraqi forces have battled loyalists to rebel cleric Moktada al-Sadr for the past two weeks. Najaf lies in ruins.

"I want the violence and the war to go away from the city," says Sadir, 21. "We don't wish for the presence of Americans in our country. We want them to go away."

Manajid, 22, who nearly scored his own goal with a driven header on Wednesday, hails from the city of Fallujah. He says coalition forces killed Manajid's cousin, Omar Jabbar al-Aziz, who was fighting as an insurgent, and several of his friends. In fact, Manajid says, if he were not playing soccer he would "for sure" be fighting as part of the resistance.

"I want to defend my home. If a stranger invades America and the people resist, does that mean they are terrorists?" Manajid says. "Everyone [in Fallujah] has been labeled a terrorist. These are all lies. Fallujah people are some of the best people in Iraq."

Everyone agrees that Iraq's soccer team is one of the Olympics' most remarkable stories. If the Iraqis beat Australia on Saturday -- which is entirely possible, given their performance so far -- they would reach the semifinals. Three of the four semifinalists will earn medals, a prospect that seemed unthinkable for Iraq before this tournament.

When the Games are over, though, Coach Hamad says, they will have to return home to a place where they fear walking the streets. "The war is not secure," says Hamad, 43. "Many people hate America now. The Americans have lost many people around the world--and that is what is happening in America also."
08-19-2004 01:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

Bump.

:angel:
08-19-2004 06:35 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Schadenfreude Wrote:Bump.

:angel:
Yeah, bump. Bump the fact that they are from Najaf and other Shi'ite areas that are opposed to us due to their own stupidity. ...and that's what it is, stupidity. What, they'd rather Saddam? He's still alive ya know. What do you say we just pull out and release Saddam in the streets of his hometown of Tikrit?
08-19-2004 06:41 PM
Quote this message in a reply
T-Monay820 Offline
Get Rotor-vated!

I Root For: Duke, VPI

RebelKev Wrote:Yeah, bump. Bump the fact that they are from Najaf and other Shi'ite areas that are opposed to us due to their own stupidity. ...and that's what it is, stupidity. What, they'd rather Saddam? He's still alive ya know. What do you say we just pull out and release Saddam in the streets of his hometown of Tikrit?
Hmmm... Does this guy want to be playing in the Olympics or not? Under Saddam they were not allowed. After the war they are currently competing for a medal. I don't see how this could be considered a hard decision.
08-19-2004 07:12 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

T-Monay820 Wrote:
RebelKev Wrote:Yeah, bump. Bump the fact that they are from Najaf and other Shi'ite areas that are opposed to us due to their own stupidity. ...and that's what it is, stupidity. What, they'd rather Saddam? He's still alive ya know. What do you say we just pull out and release Saddam in the streets of his hometown of Tikrit?
Hmmm... Does this guy want to be playing in the Olympics or not? Under Saddam they were not allowed. After the war they are currently competing for a medal. I don't see how this could be considered a hard decision.
Stupid people exist T. It seemed pretty cut-n-dry to me as well.
08-19-2004 09:32 PM
Advertisement

Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU

The biggest non-story of this political summer has been Kerry's pro-Iraq War stance. Evidently, the Hate-Bush crowd has generally pointed to Iraq was the primary 'call to arms' this election. But Kerry voted for the war resolution, and said just recently that - even given what he knows now - he would've still voted for it.

Sure, Kerry may not have blustered as much as Bush, and may have used more diplomatic verbiage in his approach. But what is really the significant difference here?
08-19-2004 10:20 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

I was all for the war in Iraq Mo. I stated from day 1 that I think we should have taken Saddam out after the first time he kicked inspectors out. I have been consistent on that. Ie. Bush is doing a good job, IMHO.
08-19-2004 10:24 PM
Bob Saccomano Offline
1st String

I Root For:

As usual, the United States will get no thanks for the work we do in places all over the world. It's like saving someone from a burning building and being snubbed by the person you save.

It's typical, and we should be used to it by now. The work America does for people all over the world is brutal and thankless...but necessary. The simple fact that Iraqis COMPETING IN THE OLYMPICS FOR THE FIRST TIME feel free to say what they want is testament enough to the importance of what our military has accomplished.

Bump my aching rear end. Check that political garbage at the door for once.
08-19-2004 10:26 PM
Bob Saccomano Offline
1st String

I Root For:

BearcatCarl Wrote:As usual, the United States will get no thanks for the work we do in places all over the world. It's like saving someone from a burning building and being snubbed by the person you save.

It's typical, and we should be used to it by now. The work America does for people all over the world is brutal and thankless...but necessary. The simple fact that Iraqis COMPETING IN THE OLYMPICS FOR THE FIRST TIME feel free to say what they want is testament enough to the importance of what our military has accomplished.

Bump my aching rear end. Check that political garbage at the door for once.
Let me clarify: what I meant to say is that Iraqis are competing for the first time without fear of being tortured:

<a href='http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A21687-2004May12.html' target='_blank'>Soccer players routinely abused</a>

Of course, this is the Washington Post we're talking about here...so it's possible Iraqi players were actually murdered rather than just tortured.
08-19-2004 10:32 PM
Advertisement

Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

I'm starting to agree with one of the two stances my party takes that I disagree with....isolationism.
08-19-2004 10:33 PM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU

I hate to say this Bearcat, but maybe it's about time we started leaving the people in the burning building to find their own way out. By their own admission, they seem to like the flames n' smoke better than someone dousing the flames and occupying the building.
08-19-2004 10:39 PM
Ninerfan1 Offline
Habitual Line Stepper

I Root For: Charlotte

Their freedom that we bought with our soldier's blood gives them the ability to be ungrateful and stupid.

I hope they enjoy it.
08-19-2004 10:39 PM
MichiganTiger Offline
The Right Honorable

I Root For: the UofMs

Donators

The point is that Bush is just using these guys as props in his reelection bid. To mention the progress of the Iraqi national team is fine during speeches or engaging the crowd, but something just doesn't seem right about using their image without permission.
08-19-2004 11:30 PM
Advertisement

T-Monay820 Offline
Get Rotor-vated!

I Root For: Duke, VPI

Motown Bronco Wrote:Hate-Bush
Loving the registered symbol. Could start a new trend.
08-20-2004 11:30 PM
Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

That story would seem to explode one very large myth: The idea that the people causing disorder and attacking American troops are largely foreign radicals.

If young men who once faced the threat of torture from Saddam Hussein's brother can be this stridently anti-Bush, then what of the vast majority of Iraqis who never faced the full force of the Iraqi police state? We are talking about people utterly despondent over the lack of electricity living in the stench of sewers that haven't worked since our troops toppled the regime.

Uh, yeah, they might have a grudge against Bush.

With each passing day, it becomes more clear that Bush had no earthly idea what he was getting us into. This is the biggest foreign policy disaster since Vietnam.

I have Nov. 2 circled on my calendar. I look forward to holding him accountable.
08-21-2004 09:20 AM
Ninerfan1 Offline
Habitual Line Stepper

I Root For: Charlotte

Quote:That story would seem to explode one very large myth: The idea that the people causing disorder and attacking American troops are largely foreign radicals.

Given your disdain for logical arguments it doesn't surprise me you'd come to that conclusion. I mean come on, no where in there do they advocate violence, attacking american soldiers or say they hate america, but you just keep going forward with the idea that their comments about Bush transcend into meaning they're, or those who feel as they do, involved in causing disorder and attacking our troops. :rolleyes:

Quote:With each passing day, it becomes more clear that Bush had no earthly idea what he was getting us into. This is the biggest foreign policy disaster since Vietnam.

And with each passing day your gift for illogic and hyperbole show you have no earthly idea what you're talking about.

Quote:I have Nov. 2 circled on my calendar. I look forward to holding him accountable.

I'm sure he's quaking. I can hear him now, "Oh no!! SF who hates my guts won't be voting for me, whatever am I to do?"
:rolleyes:
08-21-2004 10:10 AM
BayouTiger9 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Bush put the people in Iraq that put these people in a position to voice an opinion about this or any thing else.
08-24-2004 10:55 AM
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest

Schadenfreude Wrote:With each passing day, it becomes more clear that Bush had no earthly idea what he was getting us into. This is the biggest foreign policy disaster since Vietnam.
With each passing day it becomes more clear that your hatred for Bush has no rational basis, and you have no earthly idea of how to justify your position.

Quote:I have Nov. 2 circled on my calendar. I look forward to holding him accountable.

:roflol: You do that. Just make sure you don't for a candidate that supported the war. That would just reek of hypocrisy. I expect you to write in Howard Dean's name. He was your knight in shining armor last year.
08-24-2004 11:17 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats

TheTiger Wrote:"Iraq as a team does not want Mr. Bush to use us for the presidential campaign," Sadir told SI.com through a translator, speaking calmly and directly. "He can find another way to advertise himself."
I have no problem with what Sadir said. In no way do I favor Bush's exploitation of the soccer team in his campaign.

TheTiger Wrote:"How will he meet his god having slaughtered so many men and women?" Manajid told me. "He has committed so many crimes."

"The war is not secure," says Hamad, 43. "Many people hate America now. The Americans have lost many people around the world--and that is what is happening in America also."

Manajid and Hamad, on the other hand, should consider taking the option of going back to the old way the team was run, and see how they enjoy it.

Sometimes, I think we SHOULD just pull our resources out of the rest of the world, and go it alone. We have everything we need right here (and that includes oil).
08-24-2004 02:56 PM
OUGwave Offline
All American

I Root For:

TheTiger Wrote:
Manajid, 22, who nearly scored his own goal with a driven header on Wednesday, hails from the city of Fallujah. He says coalition forces killed Manajid's cousin, Omar Jabbar al-Aziz, who was fighting as an insurgent, and several of his friends. In fact, Manajid says, if he were not playing soccer he would "for sure" be fighting as part of the resistance.

"I want to defend my home.
This is the comment I find most hillarious.

To paraphrase: "If I didn't have to be here playing soccer in the Olympics, I'd definitely be willing to get killed in battle"...

Imagine if an American athlete said that...We'd all think it was phony! And it is! Nothing is stopping this guy from going to Fallujah to martyr himself, except his own desire to actually have a long and fruitful life. So much of the crap in this article is the same old tired Arab Machismo...

It's like the rhetoric you hear against Israel by all these Arab militants... "we will fill the sea with your bloody corpes," etc, etc. Talking **** and puffing out your chest is a cultural pastime in the Arab Middle East. Its all bravado. How many times did the Arabs fight Israel? How many times did they lose? The only reason they turned to terrorism is because none of the Arab states in the region are willing to get their army's demolished again. These guys are all talk.

This guy had his chance to fight our Marines and soldiers and he didn't. We rolled his country in three weeks in a one-front war. Where was he then? At home in relative safety, no doubt...and I can't blame him. But I wouldn't have the audacity to talk trash about my willingess to fight the enemy after the fact.

If you want to see REAL courage in Iraq, and real acts of RESISTANCE, look at the Iraqi ministery officials who go to work EVERY DAY and risk getting assassinated because they are fighting for an Iraq they believe in. That's resistance. Manajid is just playing soccer and mugging for the scribes back home. Obviously, he's earned schadenfreud's respect already!
08-25-2004 03:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.