Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Blue-White Game
hoops13
Unregistered

Just got back from the Blue-White game. It was enjoyable; things are going to be a lot better than last year, but there are still a lot of question marks. Overall I left being very satisfied. :) I am composing a report to post ASAP.... :D
11-02-2002 08:44 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

hoops13
Unregistered

Blue/White Game
November 2, 2002
Attendance: about 14,125 fans
Final Score: White 102, Blue 95
Blue Team: Manual, Williams, McCants, Sanders, and Holmes
White Team: Felton, Johnson, Grant, Scott, and Noel

Overall I left this scrimmage feeling very satisfied. The players were overall pretty impressive, the coaches were doing their job, and the fans (it was the largest crowd to ever watch a UNC Blue/White game) were supportive but not loud.

Player notes:
1) Raymond Felton
The good stuff:
11-02-2002 10:09 PM
The Bomber
Unregistered

Great report! Thanks very much. I hope that we can get some decent minutes out of Grant in games. If we can, we should be OK. It doesn't sound like we have anyone capable of replacing Felton or May long term, so I hope the injury bug won't bite.

Should be a fun team to watch, if I ever get the chance. They usually show Temple or Penn State up here. The fools!. They don't know good basketball when they see it.
11-02-2002 11:37 PM
Advertisement

rickheel
Unregistered

<a href='http://northcarolina.theinsiders.com/2/73554.html' target='_blank'>http://northcarolina.theinsiders.com/2/73554.html</a>
11-03-2002 06:03 AM
rickheel
Unregistered

Rashad scored 36 points in 17 minutes!!!! :eek: :eek:

<!--EDIT|rickheel|Nov 3 2002, 06:37 AM-->
11-03-2002 06:30 AM
Advertisement

JD Heel
Unregistered

Okay, I'm back from Chapel Hill now. First of all, there was a line out the whazoo to get tickets. I felt like I was at ticket distribution again....

A few things to add to hoops' excellent report:

1. I don't believe hoops said anything about Jawad. Well, I was torn in my assessment of his game. He had a lot of positives and negatives. He really tried to force his shot a lot, which is something I'd hoped he wouldn't do as much this year. He still does a lot of fastbreak "stop and pop" as I call it, and I don't believe he hit one of those shots the entire game. He is much better from a set position. That is the thing I think he still needs a lot of work: shot selection.

He did, however, make a lot of good plays. He had some great passes, and some good shots when he was set. His all-around game has continued to improve. Those will be huge positives for us.

2. Felton was just as advertised. Many times through the game (as he was hitting three after three from the top of the key), I was thinking to myself that Felton can be a great scorer when his shot is on... but the beautiful thing about him is that when his shot isn't on, he doesn't try to force it -- and he still has the all-around game that makes the rest of the team better. He's good either way.

He had some excellent passes that made you go "Oooh." Perhaps the most telling thing was that he had one bad pass that I can think of -- where he tried to pass it to someone behind the entire defense. It ended up being intercepted... and it was actually kind of stunning that the pass didn't get through. He's so good that you expect him to do something great every time he's out on the floor.

3. Noel is our most athletic guy by far. This is nothing new to most people, but I always believed he was a great athlete that could add a bit in that area -- but he's much more than that. He makes plays when he's out there. He's somebody that you're not going to forget about when he's on the floor. Having that type of presence out there is only going to make the rest of our guys better.

4. McCants was hitting threes like they were nothing. I had no idea his shot was so good.

5. Grant really impressed me early on. He reminds me a lot of Haywood, which is saying a lot for a guy who wasn't a big recruit (while Haywood was). The main difference to me is that Grant is already a lot stronger than Haywood will ever be. That's a huge plus. He is going to have to work on his conditioning a lot, though, and he's going to have to learn to be selective with his fouls. And he has a lot of work to do on his post moves. But, this guy isn't as much of a "project" as people say.

6. Sanders looks more like a "project" to me than Grant. He looks a little intimidated out on the court. Not to discredit the young man, but he doesn't do a lot of things out on the court yet. He is perhaps the exact opposite of the way I described Noel -- you will often forget that he is out on the court. Also, he needs to add some muscle mass if we expect him to do any damage down low.

7. Holmes is going to give us a lot more than I originally thought this year. I kept thinking "Archie Miller" when I saw him yesterday, but that is probably an unfair comparison based merely on the fact that they are both short, spunky white guys. Holmes will not quite be that kind of shooter. But, he will be a great spell for Felton off the bench. But no, you don't want him playing too much or he's going to get overpowered and abused.

-JD
11-03-2002 03:25 PM
hoops13
Unregistered

JD, I believe I saw you waiting in line for tickets (judging by the photos on your site). I didn't have a ticket, and I didn't know anyone in that line. So I just stood right by the ticket office and held one finger up, and sure enough, in less than 5 minutes, some kind lady handed me a ticket for free. :D :)
11-03-2002 05:39 PM
Advertisement

JD Heel
Unregistered

If you saw a tall guy in a light blue jacket and cap, then that was me. You actually would have just missed Pooh and Rt1 and gang because they walked down from Kenan to the Dean Dome with me (but they kept walking to their lot).

-JD
11-03-2002 05:45 PM
JD Heel
Unregistered

OH! I forgot to say this: Brian Bersticker was at the ticket office and sold me my ticket. It was worth the $10 just to have Stick sell me the ticket....

-JD
11-03-2002 05:47 PM
hoops13
Unregistered

JD Heel Wrote:1. I don't believe hoops said anything about Jawad. Well, I was torn in my assessment of his game. He had a lot of positives and negatives. He really tried to force his shot a lot, which is something I'd hoped he wouldn't do as much this year. He still does a lot of fastbreak "stop and pop" as I call it, and I don't believe he hit one of those shots the entire game. He is much better from a set position. That is the thing I think he still needs a lot of work: shot selection.

He did, however, make a lot of good plays. He had some great passes, and some good shots when he was set. His all-around game has continued to improve. Those will be huge positives for us.
You're right, I left out Jawad (I was a little bit tired last night). Honestly, he played only average. It appears that he has been working on his inside game, but he still didn't finish some easy shots. Also, when he started shooting the ball from outside in the 2nd half, he wasn't hittting much. In order for us to be successful, we are going to have to get a lot more out of Jawad.
11-03-2002 09:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.