Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Windows Beats Linux On Cost, Frequency Of Patches
jrhessey Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cleveland
SkunkworksNCAAbbs LUG

Windows Beats Linux On Cost, Frequency Of Patches, Ballmer Says At MS Update Event

The Microsoft CEO renews a battle of competing claims over the number of Windows vs. Linux vulnerabilities.

By Gregg Keizer Courtesy of TechWeb News

Microsoft launched its unified update and patch service, dubbed Microsoft Update, on Monday, with chief executive Steve Ballmer leading the charge by claiming that Windows is 13 to 14 percent cheaper to patch than rival Linux operating systems.

According to research commissioned by Microsoft, Windows Server software is less expensive to patch and update, Ballmer announced during his wide-ranging presentation to kick off TechEd 2005 in Orlando.

"We've really made security job number 1," Ballmer said, "and we still have security absolutely as job 1.

"None of this is designed to tell you that our job is done," Ballmer went on, "and you'll see us continue to invest in security."

Along with the survey Ballmer touted -- which was done for Microsoft by Bangalore, India-based Wipro, an IT service provider and outsourcer -- he showed the audience slides claiming that the number of vulnerabilities in Windows Server 2003 were far lower than rival Linux distributions from SuSE and Red Hat. Ballmer's tally had Windows Server 2003 with just 30 vulnerabilities over the past year, compared to 164 for SuSE and 191 for Red Hat.

Ballmer then announced that Microsoft Update, the all-in-one update service that Microsoft has been testing since March, after its February announcement by chairman Bill Gates, was going live Monday.

The successor to Windows Update assembles updates for a variety of Microsoft software in one place, including patches for Windows, the Office suite, Exchange, and SQL Server. It's available, however, only to users of Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003.

"We've taken the concept of Windows Update and moved it up to a whole new level," said Ballmer from the TechEd stage.

Although Microsoft Update rolled out Monday, the earlier services -- Windows Update and Office Update -- will remain available indefinitely as users migrate to the newer update technology.

The launch of Microsoft Update was matched by the roll-out of other update services and software from the Redmond, Wash.-based developer. Software Update Services (SUS) 2.0 and Windows Update Services, together called "Windows Server Update Services" (WSUS), were also launched Monday, and can be downloaded from Microsoft's Windows Server site.

While WSUS is intended for businesses, it uses the same catalog of patches as the for-consumer-and-home-businesses Microsoft Update, said Ballmer. "There's one update catalog across all our technologies," said Ballmer. "SMS [Systems Management Server] can talk to the update catalog too, and keep large enterprises fresh with the latest updates."

Ballmer also said that additional update and patching tools, including Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer 2.0 and the SMS Inventory Tool will release this summer.

"We know that your number one desire is for us to eliminate the need for patches," acknowledged Ballmer, something he repeatedly stressed Microsoft was working on, but failing that, the addition of new update tools and services should make patching less painful. "Along with our other efforts," Ballmer said, citing acquisitions and product testing in anti-virus, anti-spam, and anti-spyware areas, "we think you now have the tools you need to manage your security."
06-09-2005 01:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies

Do you HONESTLY expect Ballmer to say Linux is better? Hmmmmm??

Do you think, just maybe, Linux has less frequent patches b/c of the way open source software is developed, thus eliminating many major flaws which are the source of M$'s need for rapid patching? Microsoft even counts *trivial* patches (spelling changes, etc) in their time estimates. That's yet another load of bull**** heaved from Redmond.

Do you think, just maybe, Linux has a "higher cost" in Microsoft's mind, b/c their figure includes exhaustive training for *every* employee, multiple complete consulting sessions, re-training IT from scratch, and purchasing Microsoft's crappy interoperability proprietary closed source software, and maintaining a set of Windows computers locked into their product cycle w/o the "cheapness" you get from Redmond you would otherwise threatening to use Linux (see the Munich article I posted).

I'm sure if I spun it hard enough, I could make taking a dump look more expensive than using Windows.
06-09-2005 04:15 PM
65tiger Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Clemson

georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:I'm sure if I spun it hard enough, I could make taking a dump look more expensive than using Windows.
Well, to be honest, the Windows 2000 I'm using did cost less than taking a dump. In order to take a good dump, I first need to eat a good meal. The cost of that meal was more than I paid for the Windows CD. The CD was given to me. I had to buy the meal. :D

Swagger, I'm still waiting for that Linux CD that I ordered. I don't remember how long they said it would take, but it's been over a month. Oh well, it's free.
06-09-2005 07:36 PM
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies

65tiger Wrote:
georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:I'm sure if I spun it hard enough, I could make taking a dump look more expensive than using Windows.
Well, to be honest, the Windows 2000 I'm using did cost less than taking a dump. In order to take a good dump, I first need to eat a good meal. The cost of that meal was more than I paid for the Windows CD. The CD was given to me. I had to buy the meal. :D

Swagger, I'm still waiting for that Linux CD that I ordered. I don't remember how long they said it would take, but it's been over a month. Oh well, it's free.
Where did you order it?

Hell -- donate $5 to NCAAbbs and I'll mail you a complete distro of your choice. :wave:
06-09-2005 07:37 PM
65tiger Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Clemson

It was Xandros. They were offering as many free CD's as you wanted, with free shipping. I just did a google search and can't find where I ordered from. This weekend while I'm paying bills, I'll check into that donation.
06-09-2005 08:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.