Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

This has alot of potential
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest

I especially like how it comes on line in increments. You don't have to have a full plant built to start getting benefits.

I'm hoping something like this comes together. Please note, it's funded by private enterprise.

If this does work, what new problem will libs create in order to whine?
07-19-2005 11:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies

DrTorch Wrote:I especially like how it comes on line in increments. You don't have to have a full plant built to start getting benefits.

I'm hoping something like this comes together. Please note, it's funded by private enterprise.

I just don't see the potential.... 03-razz
07-19-2005 11:40 AM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest

GrayBeard Wrote:
DrTorch Wrote:I especially like how it comes on line in increments.  You don't have to have a full plant built to start getting benefits.

I'm hoping something like this comes together.  Please note, it's funded by private enterprise.

I just don't see the potential.... 03-razz
Dadgum invisible links. Try this:

<a href='http://www.inc.com/magazine/20050701/disruptor-slawson.html' target='_blank'>http://www.inc.com/magazine/20050701/disru...or-slawson.html</a>
07-19-2005 11:59 AM
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies

It's a good solution; but cold fusion is THE ultimate energy source.
07-19-2005 12:59 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies

georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:It's a good solution; but cold fusion is THE ultimate energy source.
GTS's Sig is ...oh never mind!
07-19-2005 01:20 PM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl

DrTorch Wrote:Dadgum invisible links.&nbsp; Try this:
Would you invest money with someone who "was running an alternative health care school in Portland, Oreg., in 1989"?

Covering 10,000 square miles (100x100) with dishes (if you assume a radius of 40 feet, it would require roughly 55 million dishes). At $25,000 apiece, that would be nearly $1.4 Trillion. For $403 million, plus $2million/year, so far he's built 6.

The thing I am most skeptical about is the claim that he owns the rights to technology developed for $400 million. I doubt that the companies involved would give something that valuable away, or sell it for that price if they thought it was valuable.

I have trouble believing someone who spent a decade running an alternative health care school, but it would be promising if he produces what he claims he can, on the scale he claims.

I have a general gripe about the following statement from the article (has more to do with the article's author):

Quote:Each dish focuses the equivalent of 10,000 suns’ worth of heat on an eight-inch-wide maze

So, 55 million times 10,000 ... We can create 550 billion suns worth of heat with (smoke) and mirrors!!! Much more impressive than saying the flux is 10,000 times the flux on the surface of the earth.

This is a very deceptive quote. The math is simple. If you have a mirror that's 4 square feet and focus it on a receiver that's 1 square foot, the flux on the receiver is 4 times the flux reaching the mirror. If you have dish that is 5000 square feet (80 foot diameter dish) and you direct the light on something that is 1/2 square foot (8 inch receiver), you have 10,000 times the radiation focused on the small surface than you do on the large surface. However, the amount of energy (heat in their terms) is the same reaching both surfaces.
07-19-2005 05:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.