Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Which big man will it be?
hoops13
Unregistered

Matt and the coaching staff want and need to add another big man to the roster in order for us to be national title contenders. However, the dilemma seems to be whether to go after one of the remaining 2003 post players or wait 'till 2004.

Darryl Watkins is the name being mentioned the most. I don't really understand the situation with him and why he just appeared on our radar. Supposedly, he has had some academic problems, but I don't know why he isn't ranked in his class. I think I would rather wait until 2004 where we could land probably a safer, more talented prospect.

Brian Johnson is the primary 2004 post player. As we all know, Johnson has expressed his love for Carolina, and it appears that it is just a matter of time before he accepts the offer. But if the staff goes after Watkins, and JR Smith makes the grades, Johnson will be left out.

I think Sanders and Grant can hold us over for another year. They have already shown improvement, and an entire offseason should help the improvement drastically. I think Watkins would be a big gamble, when Johnson may be another year away, but he seems to be the better option.

Let's hope this all works out for the best. I look forward to your comments and opinions.

Go Heels!
01-24-2003 01:20 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

nate jonesacc
Unregistered

hoops13 Wrote:I think Sanders and Grant can hold us over for another year.
I agreed up until there. ^

Sorry, but May is 100X better than either Sanders or Grant. Sanders and Grant can not hold you for another year. It's May or bust, IMO. But... May should be back soon.
01-24-2003 01:30 PM
JD Heel
Unregistered

I think he meant that in addition to May, Sanders and Grant can hold us over for another year.

And I think they can, but I would really like to get someone else in there to give us some depth.

-JD
01-24-2003 01:49 PM
hoops13
Unregistered

JUST GOT SOME BIG TIME NEWS:

WE LEAD FOR RA'SEAN DICKEY!

Now we lead for both Dickey and Johnson......not to mention JR Smith!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know the details, but this is awesome news. Now we need to offer him.

:D 04-cheers 04-drinky :saber: 04-bow 03-razz :) 04-cheers :D

<!--EDIT|hoops13|Jan 31 2003, 10:47 PM-->
01-31-2003 10:28 PM
nate jonesacc
Unregistered

Doh only has 2 schollies for the rest of 2004. So, who do you think it will be?

If I was Doh!, I would go after Dickey and Johnson. I think JR Smith is coming down with "Stewart twins" syndrome. He had a lot of hype over the summer, but now he's not playing that well (getting dominated by Luol Deng).
02-01-2003 09:31 AM
Advertisement

hoops13
Unregistered

nate jonesacc Wrote:Doh only has 2 schollies for the rest of 2004. So, who do you think it will be?

If I was Doh!, I would go after Dickey and Johnson. I think JR Smith is coming down with "Stewart twins" syndrome. He had a lot of hype over the summer, but now he's not playing that well (getting dominated by Luol Deng).
I haven't figured out how yet, but I think our 2004 class is somehow going to be:

Curry, Dickey, Johnson, and Smith

That you be amazing! :eek:
02-01-2003 11:38 AM
nate jonesacc
Unregistered

hoops13 Wrote:
nate jonesacc Wrote:Doh only has 2 schollies for the rest of 2004. So, who do you think it will be?

I haven't figured out how yet, but I think our 2004 class is somehow going to be:

Is Doh! gonna remove someone's scholly? McCants going pro? 03-confused
02-01-2003 02:59 PM
hoops13
Unregistered

nate jonesacc Wrote:
hoops13 Wrote:

Is Doh! gonna remove someone's scholly? McCants going pro? 03-confused
I told you that I haven't figured it out, but if they all want to come, we will make sure they come to Chapel Hill.
02-01-2003 08:53 PM
hoops13
Unregistered

Ok, I just wanted to discuss this scholarship crunch. Although we lead for Dickey, Johnson, and Smith people think we only have 2 scholarships to offer, therefore one of them would be left out. BUT ACTUALLY we have 3 remaining until Noel is given his next year. If all 3 of these guys want to come to Chapel Hill. I believe Doherty must do SOMETHING...ANYTHING to make sure that they can become Tar Heels. Which leads me to Noel. I love the kid. As a Chapel Hill native, I followed David throughout his highschool career in Durham and was happy for the young man when he signed to play for us. Noel is a four-year player, he has shown much improvement already, he is an awesome athlete, he will be a great all-around player soon, and Doherty has promised him a scholarship. However, do you all think there is any chance that Noel doesn't get or doesn't accept the scholarship in order to allow us to give scholarships to Johnson, Dickey, and Smith? I don't see Doherty not giving Noel the scholarship, but what about Noel offering to find some other way to play and pay? Any possibility of him going to play football too on scholarship? I know I shouldn't make early judgements, but Doherty will have made a serious mistake/s if Johnson, Dickey, and Smith all want to be Tar Heels, and one is left out. Go Heels!
02-01-2003 09:32 PM
Advertisement

nate jonesacc
Unregistered

hoops13 Wrote:Ok, I just wanted to discuss this scholarship crunch. Although we lead for Dickey, Johnson, and Smith people think we only have 2 scholarships to offer, therefore one of them would be left out. BUT ACTUALLY we have 3 remaining until Noel is given his next year. If all 3 of these guys want to come to Chapel Hill. I believe Doherty must do SOMETHING...ANYTHING to make sure that they can become Tar Heels. Which leads me to Noel. I love the kid. As a Chapel Hill native, I followed David throughout his highschool career in Durham and was happy for the young man when he signed to play for us. Noel is a four-year player, he has shown much improvement already, he is an awesome athlete, he will be a great all-around player soon, and Doherty has promised him a scholarship. However, do you all think there is any chance that Noel doesn't get or doesn't accept the scholarship in order to allow us to give scholarships to Johnson, Dickey, and Smith? I don't see Doherty not giving Noel the scholarship, but what about Noel offering to find some other way to play and pay? Any possibility of him going to play football too on scholarship? I know I shouldn't make early judgements, but Doherty will have made a serious mistake/s if Johnson, Dickey, and Smith all want to be Tar Heels, and one is left out. Go Heels!
That would be along the Tamir Goodman lines if Doh revoked Noel's scholly because he's not good enough.
02-01-2003 10:21 PM
hoops13
Unregistered

He wouldn't be revoking anything. To be revoked, it has to be given. Noel has not yet been given the scholarship. And even if Noel wasn't given the scholarship, it wouldn't be because he wasn't good enough. It would be so we could fix our biggest problem: having a few beasts down low.

And UNC's frontcourt: May, Johnson, Dickey....plus Grant, Sanders :eek: :eek: :eek: 04-cheers :D
02-01-2003 10:27 PM
nate jonesacc
Unregistered

hoops13 Wrote:He wouldn't be revoking anything. To be revoked, it has to be given. Noel has not yet been given the scholarship. And even if Noel wasn't given the scholarship, it wouldn't be because he wasn't good enough. It would be so we could fix our biggest problem: having a few beasts down low.

And UNC's frontcourt: May, Johnson, Dickey :eek: :eek: :eek: 04-cheers :D
OK... bad word choice... he would be taking away a promised scholly.

Notice change to your above post.
02-01-2003 10:37 PM
JD Heel
Unregistered

I really don't see the football scholly as an option. Coach Bunting is in a scholarship crunch as well -- especially with all the great players he's bringing in this year -- and we are suddenly overloaded with star receivers. Plus, David is a year removed from playing football already and would probably need to redshirt a year anyway. So, that's basically not an option.

Noel could decline a scholarship and allow us to get those three players, but who knows if that would even be necessary anyway. For us to still be short on scholarships by 2004, it seems that McCants, Felton, and May would need to stay at least three years and Williams, Scott, and Manuel would all need to stay four. I personally don't see any of the sophomores leaving for the NBA early (unless Jawad really turns it on), but there are *rumors* of Melvin possibly wanting to transfer after this year. I hope those are merely rumors, because I would rather have Melvin here for four years than to lose him after two and have to keep replacing that with more youth.

Anyway, somebody would have to leave after this year for us to get those three players for 2004. I hope that nobody does, but I also hope that we don't lose some players after next year and then aren't able to use that freed-up scholarship on such late notice. That would seem to be the worst possible scenario.

I'm confident that all will fall into place and we'll be fine either way.

-JD
02-01-2003 10:42 PM
Advertisement

The Bomber
Unregistered

I don't know why, but I get the feeling that if anyone left and freed up a scholarship, it would be Melvin Scott. He's not getting mass quantities of PT as a sophomore.
02-02-2003 12:06 PM
hoops13
Unregistered

When someone transfers I don't believe we get to use that scholarship for a few years. Think about it, we don't have 3 extra scholarships because Fingleton, Boone, and Morrison are gone. You have to go by the 5-8 rule no matter what.

For example, if ALL OF the scholarship players were to transfer after this year, we would be left with a team of walkons and Terry. I don't believe scholarships from transfers become available until the next 5-8 go around.

Therefore, MELVIN PLEASE STAY!
02-02-2003 01:41 PM
The Bomber
Unregistered

I don't think the rule would affect us then. We will only get one this year probably, two at the most. Next year, we get three maximum. These don't total enough to meet the five in one year rule, much less the eight in two. The problem would be more with the 14 scholarship limit, if anything.
02-02-2003 07:43 PM
The Bomber
Unregistered

When they transferred, they were part of the five/eight. Now that we aren't up against that number crunch, we can use the scholly. It's immediately available if we don't exceed 5/8 or 14 max. Of course I may have miscounted and have my years wrong.

<!--EDIT|The Bomber|Feb 3 2003, 12:16 PM-->
02-03-2003 12:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.