elliott to ole miss
story on scout. Oh well
01-28-2007 10:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

k_tiger Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Rivals has a pretty different story up. i guess we'll see what happens.
01-29-2007 12:21 AM
ChattTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

all the coaches have in home visits this week. Remember DeAngelo!
01-29-2007 07:27 AM
bmglennreb Offline
1st String

I Root For:

k_tiger Wrote:Rivals has a pretty different story up. i guess we'll see what happens.

Depends on which site you look at (OM or MSU) on what he says. Either way, this is an OM/MSU battle. MSU fans think he's going to sign with MSU. And everything he's ever told the OM reporters is that he's committed to OM, so we'll see. Signing day is only 9 days away. I have a hard time believing that a player would be committed to us for about a year (he committed in February of 2006 to OM), constantly saying that OM is still his top choice, and then on signing day, he would turn around and sign elsewhere, but this is recruiting, so you never know. Personally, I think his tune would've been different after his MSU interview if he really was going to sign there, but you never know. Maybe he's just playing with the recruiting sites for fun, and he'll really do something crazy like sign with FSU or Memphis in the end.

I won't feel too good about us landing him until he signs on signing day, because his quotes seem to differ so much from site to site.
01-29-2007 09:04 AM
ChattTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

bmglennreb Wrote:
k_tiger Wrote:Rivals has a pretty different story up. i guess we'll see what happens.

Depends on which site you look at (OM or MSU) on what he says. Either way, this is an OM/MSU battle. MSU fans think he's going to sign with MSU. And everything he's ever told the OM reporters is that he's committed to OM, so we'll see. Signing day is only 9 days away. I have a hard time believing that a player would be committed to us for about a year (he committed in February of 2006 to OM), constantly saying that OM is still his top choice, and then on signing day, he would turn around and sign elsewhere, but this is recruiting, so you never know. Personally, I think his tune would've been different after his MSU interview if he really was going to sign there, but you never know. Maybe he's just playing with the recruiting sites for fun, and he'll really do something crazy like sign with FSU or Memphis in the end.

I won't feel too good about us landing him until he signs on signing day, because his quotes seem to differ so much from site to site.

as a Tiger fan, the only positive I can take from all of his quotes is that he has been very complimentary of The University and TW, and all of those quotes are given to writers for other schools. Of course the rating of 9.7 he gave FSU, when he gave Memphis, Ole Miss, and MSU all 8.5s, in a interview with the MSU rivals writer, is odd as well.
01-29-2007 09:14 AM
Advertisement

HHammerhead Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Football

Donators

bmglennreb Wrote:Maybe he's just playing with the recruiting sites for fun, and he'll really do something crazy like sign with FSU or Memphis in the end.

Yeah, thanks bmglennreb. Signing with FSU or Memphis would be just crazy. Why would anyone do that? ;-)
01-29-2007 12:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
IdahoTiger Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

bmglennreb,

Have you seen this?

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs...001/SPORTS

Luther Davis, a defensive tackle from West Monroe, LA, the no. 4 prospect in Louisiana on the Scout list, has been "poached" by Nick Saban. The kid had committed to home-state LSU and then visited Alabama without telling the LSU coaches, and they yanked his schollie. Hard-line recruiting from Les Miles; many coaches avoid such public spats, fearing it will hurt them down the line. I guess Alabama is starting to get their money's worth from Saban. He's also got a couple of top Alabama recruits to decommit, and he's just getting started.

Nothing surprises me at this point in the recruiting season. I'm sure Orgeron isn't resting easy with Elliott. Once a recruit starts waffling, it's difficult to stop. I think in many cases kids really feel torn, and all the adults whispering in their ears doesn't help matters. Coaches will do and say anything at this point.

It may be a longshot for the kid to end up at Memphis, but the Tigers do have the "DeAngelo successor" angle to sell their school. All a coaching staff can do with a talented player like this is continue to recruit him right up to signing day and hope for the best.

[Image: 24005_b.jpg][Image: swallow-th.jpg][Image: reutteintyrol.gif]
01-29-2007 12:44 PM
bmglennreb Offline
1st String

I Root For:

HHammerhead Wrote:
bmglennreb Wrote:Maybe he's just playing with the recruiting sites for fun, and he'll really do something crazy like sign with FSU or Memphis in the end.

Yeah, thanks bmglennreb. Signing with FSU or Memphis would be just crazy. Why would anyone do that? ;-)

You know I didn't mean it that way. I meant that he's treated it like a 2 horse race the whole time, so it would be a big surprise if he went to Memphis or FSU. Now that I read back over it though, it does come off that way.
01-29-2007 12:56 PM
bmglennreb Offline
1st String

I Root For:

IdahoTiger Wrote:bmglennreb,

Have you seen this?

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs...001/SPORTS

Luther Davis, a defensive tackle from West Monroe, LA, the no. 4 prospect in Louisiana on the Scout list, has been "poached" by Nick Saban. The kid had committed to home-state LSU and then visited Alabama without telling the LSU coaches, and they yanked his schollie. Hard-line recruiting from Les Miles; many coaches avoid such public spats, fearing it will hurt them down the line. I guess Alabama is starting to get their money's worth from Saban. He's also got a couple of top Alabama recruits to decommit, and he's just getting started.

Nothing surprises me at this point in the recruiting season. I'm sure Orgeron isn't resting easy with Elliott. Once a recruit starts waffling, it's difficult to stop. I think in many cases kids really feel torn, and all the adults whispering in their ears doesn't help matters. Coaches will do and say anything at this point.

It may be a longshot for the kid to end up at Memphis, but the Tigers do have the "DeAngelo successor" angle to sell their school. All a coaching staff can do with a talented player like this is continue to recruit him right up to signing day and hope for the best.

[Image: 24005_b.jpg][Image: swallow-th.jpg][Image: reutteintyrol.gif]

Agreed. You never really know what will happen with recruiting, and like I said, I won't count Elliott's recruiting as over until he signs on the 7th.

Davis, from what I've heard, may be a grade casualty. I don't know whether Miles backed off or not, but I'm not too surprised to see Saban come in and steal a Louisiana recruit or two. He got involved late in the game, so we'll see.
01-29-2007 12:58 PM
Advertisement

MemphisMojo Offline
All American

I Root For: Democrats

Doubt it.
01-29-2007 01:43 PM
ChattTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

bmglennreb Wrote:
HHammerhead Wrote:

You know I didn't mean it that way. I meant that he's treated it like a 2 horse race the whole time, so it would be a big surprise if he went to Memphis or FSU. Now that I read back over it though, it does come off that way.

aside from his early commitment to Ole Miss, every quote I've read from him (don't have access to the new scout/Ole Miss article) puts all 4 schools even. And those aren't quotes to Memphis or FSU writers. I can understand from an instate perspective why people would feel it is or should be a two school race, but that isn't the perception he's putting out publicly.
01-29-2007 01:46 PM
HHammerhead Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Football

Donators

bmglennreb Wrote:
HHammerhead Wrote:

I was just yankin' yer chain, of course. Hence the ;-) .
01-29-2007 02:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
giantrebfan Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Someone told me that RE has FSU and you guys ahead of MOOU. He is quoted as being done and bleeding red and blue, but I wont feel great about it until he signs on the dotted line.
01-29-2007 03:17 PM
Advertisement

bburk1615 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Memphis

Just looking at the Ole Piss commit list and I see no Memphis names. I'm wondering when this so called fence around Memphis will go up.
01-31-2007 11:01 AM
mthom Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

I think Elliot is a goner... Anyone heard anything about R. Davis lately?
01-31-2007 11:25 AM
bmglennreb Offline
1st String

I Root For:

mthom Wrote:I think Elliot is a goner... Anyone heard anything about R. Davis lately?

Our recruiting guy feels pretty good about our prospects of landing Davis. No word on when he'll decide. I've heard he may have grade issues though, so we'll see.

As for the city of Memphis, we didn't hit it nearly as hard this year. We aren't just going to take prospects from Memphis just because they are from Memphis. We focused more on Louisiana and Mississippi this year than we did last year. We came after a handful of guys, pushed harder for some than others, but didn't have a lot of success. You can't win them all.

As far as I know, we had an offer down on Chris Walker and would have taken him, but we were never really a player on his recruitment. We came hard after Stokes out of MUS, and I think he chose Vandy. There was a kid out of White Station that we had an offer on, though I don't think we made too strong of a push for him. Other than that, Davis is the only guy off the top of my head that I know we've made a strong push for in Memphis. Someone else with more knowledge of Memphis area recruiting might be able to fill me in on others we came after, but those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Edited to add: I just looked up the Scout Top 20 from the state of Tennessee. 5 of the 20 are from the Memphis area. They are

#3 LB Chris Walker who we offered and never really got attention from, going to UT
#5 WR Rod Davis who we have a good chance of landing
#12 LB John Stokes who we pushed hard for but will end up at Vandy
#19 RB Aaron Crawford who we never really recruited (targeted a couple Mississippi RBs instead)
#20 LB Chris Marve who is the kid from White Station that I mentioned. (going to Vandy also)

So we basically made hard pushes for only 3 prospects out of Memphis this year, and may land one of them. We offered a 4th, and he's going elsewhere. When you consider the total amount of players we went after, going after only 4 out of Memphis shows that we weren't interested in all that many this year.
01-31-2007 12:48 PM
bmglennreb Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Not sure if Memphis is still in the picture, but supposedly the latest on Elliott is that he's now confused. We'll see what happens on signing day, but he supposedly had visits with OM, MSU, and FSU coaches last night. He's been a mystery to me the whole time. Just when you think you're getting a read on him, he does something to throw you off.
02-04-2007 08:46 AM
Psicosis Offline
Remain in Light

I Root For: Memphis

Crappies

Quote:We'll see what happens on signing day, but he supposedly had visits with OM, MSU, and FSU coaches last night.
Clearly, he was telling them, "Thanks, but no thanks."
02-04-2007 01:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.