Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

anyone visiting this weekend
Bookmark and Share
dscat Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
anyone visiting this weekend
anyone know if we have any recruits this weekend?
01-26-2007 09:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TigerEdward Offline
Poker Stars All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Re: anyone visiting this weekend
dscat Wrote:anyone know if we have any recruits this weekend?

The CA lists DB Wade Bonner (Mississippi State commit) from Fayette Ware, Rod Davis from Woodale, OL Robbie Hardie (Tiger commit). Not listed in the CA but these two prospects that are also expected to be on campus is 6'2 325 OL Ronald Leary from Southern Lab High School in Baton Rouge, and 6'3 295 OL Joel McCloed (sp?) from Florida (he just recently committed to Ohio University (from the MAC), but is still interested in Memphis and is following through with his visit. There may be one or two more that the CA and myself may have missed.

We just got a commitment from 6'4 270 DT Lionel Henderson, his high school teamate, 6'2 220 LB Brandon Maye was suppose to visit the Tigers this weekend, but committed to Clemson last weekend and will not be making the visit.
01-26-2007 09:57 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TigerTim Offline
All American

I Root For:

Isn't there only one more weekend left before Signing Day? It seems in the past, we have been bringing in many more players. The players we have brought in are looking at other schools or are already committed.
01-26-2007 10:05 AM
TigerEdward Offline
Poker Stars All American

TigerTim Wrote:Isn't there only one more weekend left before Signing Day? It seems in the past, we have been bringing in many more players. The players we have brought in are looking at other schools or are already committed.

I agree with you. I have been suprised at the low number of recruits since December. My guess is we may be more limited in scholarships than I once thought. More than likely has to do with having three transfers and six mid year juco additions.

Oh, and yes, there is one more recruiting weekend. next weekend (Feb. 2) will be the last weekend for visits. On Monday, February 5th the dead period starts and national signing day is Wednesday, February 7trh.
01-26-2007 10:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mayhem Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tigers

WOW! We have ONE student-athlete to recruit this weekend. WHAT'S GOING ON???????
01-26-2007 11:23 AM
Advertisement

Mortiger Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

mayhem Wrote:WOW! We have ONE student-athlete to recruit this weekend. WHAT'S GOING ON???????

Last I checked we have 6 this weekend.
01-26-2007 12:14 PM
mayhem Offline
2nd String

CA list 3. Who are the others?
01-26-2007 12:52 PM
Mortiger Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

mayhem Wrote:CA list 3. Who are the others?

I am bad with remembering names but I think there is a lineman from Baton Rouge , a RB from JC in Mississippi, and a DB from East Tenn. There may be a QB in as well but I didn't ask who or where he was from.
01-26-2007 01:54 PM
mayhem Offline
2nd String

Thanks.
01-26-2007 02:28 PM
Advertisement

Mortiger Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

mayhem Wrote:CA list 3. Who are the others?

I am bad with remembering names but I think there is a lineman from Baton Rouge , a RB from JC in Mississippi, and a DB from East Tenn. There may be a QB in as well but I didn't ask who or where he was from.
01-26-2007 02:40 PM
Final4Tiger Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Could the RB be Curtis Steele from NWMCC and the DB be Walter Dozier from Chattanooga? If so both of these guys are already committed according to posts in other threads.
01-26-2007 02:49 PM
Mortiger Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Final4Tiger Wrote:Could the RB be Curtis Steele from NWMCC and the DB be Walter Dozier from Chattanooga? If so both of these guys are already committed according to posts in other threads.

They may be committed but have not been on their visit yet. I am bad about names sorry.
01-26-2007 03:03 PM
Tigerx3 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
01-26-2007 04:41 PM
Advertisement

Unionman76 Offline
Heisman

here is the story from saturdays commercial appeal on the weekend visits

McCallie star likes what he sees in Tigers

Story Tools
E-mail this story | Print
Prep coach: Safety has 'great upside'
By Phil Stukenborg
Contact
January 27, 2007
Being that his first love was basketball, it was understandable Walter Dozier envisioned himself becoming a starter at point guard for the University of Memphis basketball team.

He'd follow in the lightning-quick footsteps of one of his favorite ex-Tigers, Antonio Burks. He'd lead the UofM into another NCAA Tournament and play before large crowds at the FedExForum.

Four years later, Dozier's college sport-of-choice has been altered, although his destination remains the same.

Dozier, a defensive back from Chattanooga McCallie, is in Memphis this weekend making an official visit to the campus he expects to call home for, at least, the next four years. A 6-foot, 195-pound safety, Dozier is sold on the UofM.

''I'm very close to closing the deal, especially with a week-and-a-half to go before signing day,'' he said. ''It looks like the place I'll be.''

Dozier, who made the Tennessee Sports Writers Association All-State team, is visiting the UofM along with Wooddale High receiver Roderick Davis, Fayette-Ware defensive back Wade Bonner and receiver Nick Dickerson, Miramar (Fla.) offensive lineman Joel McCleod, Baton Rouge offense lineman Ronald Leary, Northwest (Miss.) Community College running back Curtis Steele and Locust Grove (Ga.), offensive lineman Robbie Hardie.

Hardie (6-4, 285) committed to the UofM in December, but hadn't taken an official visit. Bonner, considered the No. 19 prospect in the state by Rivals.com, is a Mississippi State commitment, but is visiting along with Dickerson (5-9, 190). Leary (6-2, 325) has drawn interest from Ole Miss and Clemson and McCleod (6-3, 275) from Pittsburgh and UCF.

Davis said he was interested in visiting Memphis because the Tigers ''are my hometown team.''

Dozier helped McCallie reach the Division 2 state finals and finish with a 10-2 record by excelling at two positions. As a receiver, he caught 61 passes for 1,234 yards and 10 touchdowns.

Defensively, he made a smooth in-season transition from cornerback to safety and made 43 tackles.

''He's got a great upside and he's going to get bigger,'' said Rick Whitt, McCallie head coach and former defensive coordinator under Tiger coach Tommy West at Memphis. ''I really believe he is going to be a good safety. He is explosive and he is a contact player.''

Whitt joined the McCallie program a year ago as defensive coordinator and was named head coach two weeks ago. He said Dozier shares some similarities with former Tiger linebacker Derrick Ballard, whom Whitt worked with at Memphis.

''He has athletic ability like Ballard, with the twisting and turning he can do,'' Whitt said. ''He may not be as smooth as Ballard was, but he's going to be good."

Dozier said he looks forward to being part of a Memphis 4-3 defense that was similar to the one employed by Whitt at McCallie.

''Coach Whitt said if I came to Memphis I'd enjoy playing for coach West,'' he said. ''It would be almost like playing for coach Whitt. That they are good buddies helped me out a lot with my decision.''

It also didn't hurt that Dozier's stepfather, Michael Lowman, played cornerback at Chattanooga in the early 1990s when West was the team's head coach and Whitt was an assistant.

Dozier, who also attracted interest from Middle Tennessee State, Samford and Chattanooga, has been following Tiger football since DeAngelo Williams began his record-setting run at the school in 2002. He's also familiar with DaJuan Wagner and Rodney Carney, the ex-UofM basketball stars who matriculated from Memphis to the NBA.

His love for basketball hasn't abated. Dozier is a four-year starter at point guard for McCallie, averaging 13 points and nine assists. Last week he hit the game-winning shot to beat rival Chattanooga Baylor.

''My best games have always been against Baylor,'' Dozier said. ''Last year against Baylor I returned an interception 101 yards for a touchdown.''

Whitt expects Dozier to blossom in college because of performances like those.

''I just think he has a really good upside because of his leadership qualities,'' he said. ''And he's an incredible worker. He can do a lot of things.''

-- Phil Stukenborg: 529-2543
01-27-2007 11:34 AM
Crini Offline
1st String

Unionman76 Wrote:here is the story from saturdays commercial appeal on the weekend visits

McCallie star likes what he sees in Tigers

Story Tools
E-mail this story | Print
Prep coach: Safety has 'great upside'
By Phil Stukenborg

(snip)

Good to see that former DC Rick Whitt seems to be friendly to Tommy & the Tigers even after losing his job here.

And Phil must be getting extra pay if he uses he Thesaurus - "matriculated"?

Interesting that the guy made All State, but only has intrest from MTSU, Samford & Chatt. Must be a diamond in the rough kind of guy.
01-27-2007 12:03 PM
passat25 Offline
Heisman

Do I here a walk-on BB player here?
01-27-2007 03:59 PM
Cletus Offline
Hall of Famer

Pressed Rat Wrote:Do I here a walk-on BB player here?

You might read it on here; but you won't hear it on here. LOL

[Image: fox.jpg]

01-27-2007 08:30 PM
Psicosis Offline
Remain in Light

Crappies

Dozier is #1 in this clip.
01-28-2007 08:31 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.