Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Favorite Carolina sports memories
JD Heel
Unregistered

As we wait for football season, I decided to revive a topic that we touched on sometime last year. It seems that we have a different posting crowd this time around, so that should mean different answers.

The question is: What are your favorite UNC sports memories?

Here are mine, the best that I can remember them:

1. 1998 #1 dook @ #2 UNC basketball game -- This was my freshman year at Carolina, and hence my first UNC-dook basketball game. I stood in line in frigid rain for an entire afternoon (and most of the night) to get tickets, so that made me value the tickets even more. I took my dad to the game -- it was his first UNC-dook game too -- and we blew out dook by 20+ points. My dad and I stormed the court afterward, and I had my first postgame Franklin Street celebration.

2. 1998 #2 UNC vs. #1 dook ACC championship -- This is the only ACC tourney I've been to, and it was once again with my dad. Like the game at the Dean Dome, this game was close the entire way before we blew it open in the second half. We moved down to celebrate with the team after the game, and I found a dook hat. I took it home as a souvenir. 03-wink

3. 2003 dook @ UNC basketball game -- The only other time I've seen us beat dook in person (and I've been to every home game since 1998). I went with a group of friends and enjoyed a great game. Stormed the court afterward by sneaking downstairs in the last minute of the game.

There are others, but I'll start off with that for now (since it's quittin' time).

-JD
05-16-2003 03:57 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JD Heel
Unregistered

'k, I guess I'll add some more. 03-wink

Here are some of my "not at the game" basketball experiences:

4. 2001 UNC @ dook -- This was the end of the drought versus dook (well, the first drought). I think dook was either #1 or #2 for this game, and we were also in the top 10 (but ranked below them). We had a fairly large dorm room that year, so we decorated the room with Carolina pom-poms and invited some friends over to watch the game. We had about thirty or so people in the room (it ain't that big) at the highest point of the party, and it was basically people sitting all over each other. It was a great atmosphere for the game, and perfect for the closing seconds. When dook's last-gasp effort missed, we all ran out into the hall... where everyone was going crazy. Then, everyone went up to Franklin for more madness.

5. 1993 National Championship -- Obviously, I didn't see this one in person. I was only 13 at the time, but I was still a huge fan. I remember going to Hilton Head with my family the weekend before and watching the semifinal against Kansas there. We drove home on Sunday with all kinds of Carolina decorations all over the van. We didn't do anything special for the title game except watch it at home, but I guess that was good enough for the win.

6. 1993 FSU @ UNC basketball game -- This is the game where FSU pulled out to a huge lead (I believe it got to be 21 with 10 or so minutes left). It was a school night and I wasn't supposed to watch TV, so I was up in my room listening to the game on the radio. As we started cutting into the lead, I started paying more attention... but I still thought the lead was too big, so I tried not to get my hopes up. When George Lynch stole the ball with a minute or so left and scored the go-ahead bucket, I got so excited that I raced downstairs to see what was going on. Luckily, my dad was also pumped, so he let me watch the rest of the game.

-JD
05-19-2003 01:38 PM
tarheel15
Unregistered

jd i'm gonna have to go with the duke game a few years back during haywood's senior year, when battier fouled haywood in the closing seconds allowing us to win on some late free throws by brendon
05-19-2003 04:53 PM
Advertisement

JD Heel
Unregistered

I believe this is the foul:

[Image: haywood2-020101-lg.jpg]

-JD
05-20-2003 10:30 AM
Laettners Legacy Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Duke Blue Devil

the hiring of Matt Doherty
06-10-2003 11:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.