Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Can Grobe top last year's win total?
odometer Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Last year was so successful, I hope we aren't set up for yet another letdown.
05-28-2003 04:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CB13 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

We won't have a let down if Randolph plays well, or running backs can get loose, and our defense step up. It will be interesting.
05-28-2003 05:19 PM
odometer Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

I can't wait..it is going to be fun to watch
05-29-2003 02:44 PM
SamuraiTater Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

20 years ago, a winning season in Winston-Salem would no doubt be categorically defined as a fluke. Nowadays, I'm not so sure. I'm interested in seeing what the Deacs do this year. It would be refreshing to see them hold onto the higher ground they've laid claim to.
05-31-2003 07:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DawgNBama
Unregistered

Wake Forest is trying to "turn their engine" so to speak. They have a couple of good years, then a stretch of bad years, then stretch of good years again. It's about like trying to crank an engine that's cold.
06-02-2003 02:45 PM
Quote this message in a reply
odometer Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

I sure hope this year is at least as exciting.
06-02-2003 04:47 PM
JoltinJacket
Unregistered

With a little more depth and experience, Wake could've easily won 9-10 games last year. I think as long as Jim Grobe is there, you guys will always be competitive. I don't know if you can top 7 wins this year (considering the schedule), but I'd look for at least 5.
06-02-2003 05:10 PM
Advertisement

CB13 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

I think with the offense we have we can screw up some other teams defense. That was a key part in the Oregon game because we ran things like that and passes when we had too. One question is how good is the D-Line withougt Pace and Sharpe.
06-02-2003 08:50 PM
JoltinJacket
Unregistered

CB13 Wrote:I think with the offense we have we can screw up some other teams defense.
You can say that again! :bang: In the Tech game, Wake must have run the same counter/misdirection play about 35 times - and it worked about 95% of the time.
06-03-2003 12:17 AM
Lucy
Unregistered

JoltinJacket Wrote:
CB13 Wrote:I think with the offense we have we can screw up some other teams defense.
You can say that again! :bang: In the Tech game, Wake must have run the same counter/misdirection play about 35 times - and it worked about 95% of the time.
Yeah, all of the Tech folks I was sitting with kept grumbling about that. :laugh: 04-bow :laugh:

Grobe is the type of coach who gets the most out of his players, even when no one else thinks there is enough talent in the cupboard to keep moving up the ACC ladder. I don't see a letdown in this year's team. Definitely wouldn't mind making a road trip to Charlotte in late December... :)

<!--EDIT|Lucy|Jun 3 2003, 08:21 AM-->
06-03-2003 07:14 AM
Advertisement

JD Heel
Unregistered

Grobe is going to have a tougher coaching job this year for a couple of reasons:

1. Wake loses a lot of seniors from last year
2. It'll be harder to sneak up on teams this year

That doesn't mean that he can't get the job done -- because he can. But, the respect that Grobe has earned Wake is a double-edged sword, because it means that teams will take them far more seriously.

This year is going to be pivotal for Wake if they want to establish themselves in the upper echelon of the ACC. If they can match last year's results -- or improve upon them -- I think they will take a big step toward permanent success in ACC football (with or without expansion).

-JD
06-03-2003 09:21 AM
odometer Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

"Sneaking up" is an interesting way to put it.
06-03-2003 03:21 PM
JD Heel
Unregistered

It is, but that's what I think Wake has done to some teams the past two years. Those teams didn't take Wake as seriously as they should have, and Wake made them pay. But, it isn't meant as a derogatory term, because I think Wake has been a strong team ever since Grobe has been there. They just had the lack-of-respect / surprise factor working for them.

One example would be us two years ago -- we slacked off in the second half and you made us pay for it. You then turned around and spanked us last year and left no question about it.

Last year, I think you definitely had the surprise factor working in your favor against Tech, Purdue, and Oregon -- especially because those were all away games that you won. The Clemson and Virginia games were a bit like that too, even though you lost those two.

This year will be a true test of Wake football. Teams won't overlook Wake anymore (and they shouldn't have before). If you post a good record this year, Wake football will have truly gained the respect it deserves.

-JD
06-03-2003 03:53 PM
odometer Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

I like surprise better
06-04-2003 04:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.