Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Clemson football notebook
tigersEATchicken Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Win = bowl eligibility: Clemson University can attain bowl eligibility if it defeats Wake Forest on Saturday, the university learned on Thursday.
The Tigers are 5-3, so a victory would assure them of at least a 6-6 record. The complication is that one of those victories came against Division I-AA Furman University.

Normally, teams can only count a I-AA victory every four years toward the required six wins. Clemson used a I-AA victory over Wofford in 2001, when it played in the Humanitarian Bowl. However, all I-AA games from that year were counted with no penalty, because of mass rescheduling required by the Sept. 11 attacks.

The Tigers' case was interesting, because the Clemson-Wofford game was already on the schedule and had nothing to do with Sept. 11. But the NCAA informed Clemson on Thursday that the Tigers would be bowl eligible with six wins, sports information director Tim Bourret said.

However, Clemson could still finish 6-6 and not go to a bowl. According to NCAA Bylaw 30.9.2.1, teams that are 6-6 are only eligible for bowls with which their conference has a contractual affiliation. The ACC has six such affiliations.

So, if the Tigers were to finish 6-6, and if six other ACC teams were picked ahead of them, they would not be eligible to go to any other bowl.But in that scenario, a non-ACC bowl with an opening could pick an ACC team with a winning record, thereby opening a spot for Clemson in an ACC bowl.

The Tigers, of course, hope to win enough games that their fans will not have to reach for the aspirin bottle trying to think about all of this.

More lineup changes: The Tigers' offensive line shuffle will continue this week, coach Tommy Bowden said.

Junior Tommy Sharpe is back as the starting center for freshman Dustin Fry, and freshman Roman Fry is back in at left tackle for William Henry. Sophomore Chip Myrick has retained the starting job at right guard. The Tigers rotate players at every line position.

Bobby Williamson (back injury) is listed as probable and is expected to start at tight end, Bowden said. Receiver Airese Currie (sprained ankle) also is probable, but he remains limited in what he can do, Bowden said.

Linebacker Eric Sampson (sprained ankle) will make the trip to Winston-Salem but is questionable to play, Bowden said. Tailback Yusef Kelly (sprained ankle) is doubtful to make the trip.

Bowden: Wake not dirty: The Demon Deacons are known for their use of low blocks against opponents to gain an edge in the running game. Such blocks are only illegal when another player is making contact with the defender. In that case, they are called "chop blocks."

Legal or not, some opponents have taken offense to the practice, but Bowden said he has no problem with it.

"I wish I could get my team to play that aggressive," Bowden said. Then with a laugh he added, "I'm a (Wake Forest coach) Jim Grobe fan. I'm his one fan club
10-31-2003 06:19 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.