Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

3-pointers
tarheelsben1
Unregistered

let me start off by saying, good win. i'm glad we could hold the lead at the end. now, let me start my rant...

there are times when our offense makes me sick! i don't know who told roy or any of our players that we can shoot the 3, because we can't! sean took 2 3 point shots today, wtf is that? he shouldn't even have the ball out there! and why does jawad insist on taking so many 3's? there are only 2 or 3 players i would trust behind the arc, melvin, ray and rashad. i just get sick of our people taking 3-point shots every time they have an open look, even if it is sean may! :bang:

anyway, good game
02-07-2004 03:17 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Lucy
Unregistered

It may have something to do with the fact that Wake has a horrible time defensing the 3. :frown: It's no secret that we leave way more people open on the perimeter than we should, so even the big men try the long shot against us.

Congrats to the Heels on keeping the game out of reach of the Deacs. Your zone killed us. And I think your guys were definitely looking for revenge for the 3OT game in Chapel Hill.
02-07-2004 03:38 PM
JD Heel
Unregistered

I was disgusted by the bevy of threes too. I know Sean can shoot the outside shot, but he shouldn't unless it's an end-of-the-game situation and he's wide open. He's much more valuable down low.

Under no circumstances should Jackie shoot a three. He heaved one up today, for what reason I don't know. I guess Roy has told him to take it from time to time to keep the defense honest (only once a game, though) The good thing about Jackie is that he knows if he misses his one three pointer, that's it for him. He doesn't try to jack up any more after that.

I got worried when Noel made the first three he hit. I love seeing our guys hit shots, but I hate for them to get lulled into the "fool's gold" that Roy has alluded to before. I was very happy to see Noel go up for a three at the top of the key and then pass -- mid-shot -- to Sean for a wide-open layup. He also passed away another three opportunity late in the game.

As Ben said, Rashad, Melvin, and Ray should be our primary three-point shooters. Jawad can shoot one when he's open (he actually doesn't normally shoot too badly from out there). Other than that, it should be off limits.

I think the guys are learning, though. I mentioned Noel making better decisions down the stretch. In the second half, I think a lot of guys knew they needed to try to get the ball inside. When they did so, they were often rewarded. Let's keep it up.

-JD
02-07-2004 06:54 PM
Advertisement

rickheel
Unregistered

If our opponent is playing man, and Sean or Jawad can take another big guy away from the basket, I like our odds on getting the offensive rebound. We had 17 today. I dont like seeing Sean dribbling the ball 30 feet from the basket with the game on the line, as Ray should have the ball in his hand. Enjoy the win folks. Roy knows what he is doing.
02-07-2004 08:23 PM
jrhessey Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cleveland
SkunkworksNCAAbbs LUG

First off, Glad I was wrong on the 4 game acc skid line!!

Second off, anyone else hear that this was the 3rd ACC road win in the last 3 years for us?? Thats nuts!! This should really help out the confidence!!

Thirdly... I sure am glad to see these guys improving game by game, most of that is thanks to Roy too!!

Manuels attempt at the 3 pointer was to avoid a shot clock violation, if I remember correctly, so thats ok, IMO. (I'll watch the game again on TiVo and make sure thats right)

Jawad isn't too bad shooting the 3-ball, I don't mind seeing him take the shot every once in awhile... if he didn't, we wouldn't have beaten CSU or made it into OT with Duke, so the guy is pretty clutch with shooting the 3's when it counts. I was looking at stats this week and, including today, I don't think he tossed up more than 40 3-point attempts this year, 18 games and 40 attempts is a 2.222 per game average... I don't necessarily see too much wrong with that average.

I couldn't believe how much we got the ball in low today. If nothing was going, it came back out, and we tried a perimeter shot, if that wasn't open, we went back into May who more than likely had an easy shot around the basket. Is it me, or did May touch the ball on nearly every position he was in the game??

One thing I didn't like was near the end of the first half when May came out, I noticed we all stood around the 3 point line, McCants, Williams, Felton, and Scott.

I think if we are this persistent in running our offense in any more games, I think we should come out on top. It was very impressive today, I only hope this team shows up more this season!!

For no reason should May be tossing 3's!!
02-07-2004 11:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hoops13
Unregistered

Big win for our guys.
02-08-2004 09:19 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.