Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Wake vs. Duke
kaisersayzo Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Can the Duke fans out there explain to me why Horvath played so many minutes? Anyway, both PG's played pretty well. Paul in the end kinda put a schooling on Duhon though. A few more PG match-ups like that and I'm pretty sure 1st team All-ACC is out the window for Duhon.

On another note: I have said many times before that JJ is the nucleus of the team and have been greeted with harsh Duke fan babble. After Wake took JJ out of the game, do you Duke fans see exactly how much JJ brings to your team? Deng scored 20, Williams had a great game, Ewing was hitting and even Duhon played his usual "average" game and yet Duke just couldn't close the deal without JJ. NC State did exactly the same by focussing on shutting down JJ first then playing defense around that. News for all other teams that will face Duke....Shut down JJ Redick and you can beat Duke. I'm sure I will hear the same old crap about how JJ was in the game at the end...blah-blah-blah. Just remember this: the game would have been over early in the 1st half if Duke had JJ's fire power out on the court. His absence kept Wake in the game and gave them confidence down the stretch. Argue if you want but you know that's the truth.
02-19-2004 09:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

T-Monay820
Unregistered

kaisersayzo Wrote:On another note: I have said many times before that JJ is the nucleus of the team and have been greeted with harsh Duke fan babble. After Wake took JJ out of the game, do you Duke fans see exactly how much JJ brings to your team? Deng scored 20, Williams had a great game, Ewing was hitting and even Duhon played his usual "average" game and yet Duke just couldn't close the deal without JJ. NC State did exactly the same by focussing on shutting down JJ first then playing defense around that. News for all other teams that will face Duke....Shut down JJ Redick and you can beat Duke. I'm sure I will hear the same old crap about how JJ was in the game at the end...blah-blah-blah. Just remember this: the game would have been over early in the 1st half if Duke had JJ's fire power out on the court. His absence kept Wake in the game and gave them confidence down the stretch. Argue if you want but you know that's the truth.
Care to explain this?

Redick 37 Minutes, 28 Pts
Williams 25 Minutes, 4 pts

Duke 74 - NCSU 78

Redick 2 Pts
Williams 18 Pts

Duke 84 - Wake 90

A 2 pt differential between the margin of victory. Duke does not revolve around Redick. If he doesn't produce, they hurt. If he does, but Williams doesn't they hurt just as much. NCSU failed to shutdown Redick, yet Duke lost.
02-19-2004 06:49 PM
Quote this message in a reply
T-Monay820
Unregistered

Duke needs Deng, Ewing, Redick, and Williams to all be playing well if they want to be sucessful.
02-19-2004 06:51 PM
Advertisement

kaisersayzo Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

T-Monay820 Wrote:
kaisersayzo Wrote:On another note: I have said many times before that JJ is the nucleus of the team and have been greeted with harsh Duke fan babble.  After Wake took JJ out of the game, do you Duke fans see exactly how much JJ brings to your team?  Deng scored 20, Williams had a great game, Ewing was hitting and even Duhon played his usual "average" game and yet Duke just couldn't close the deal without JJ.  NC State did exactly the same by focussing on shutting down JJ first then playing defense around that.  News for all other teams that will face Duke....Shut down JJ Redick and you can beat Duke.  I'm sure I will hear the same old crap about how JJ was in the game at the end...blah-blah-blah. Just remember this: the game would have been over early in the 1st half if Duke had JJ's fire power out on the court. His absence kept Wake in the game and gave them confidence down the stretch. Argue if you want but you know that's the truth.
Care to explain this?

Redick 37 Minutes, 28 Pts
Williams 25 Minutes, 4 pts

Duke 74 - NCSU 78

Redick 2 Pts
Williams 18 Pts

Duke 84 - Wake 90

A 2 pt differential between the margin of victory. Duke does not revolve around Redick. If he doesn't produce, they hurt. If he does, but Williams doesn't they hurt just as much. NCSU failed to shutdown Redick, yet Duke lost.
I would be happt to. Princeton offense.

ps. the Terps are official done!
02-20-2004 09:08 AM
DamascusTerp2
Unregistered

kaisersayzo Wrote:ps. the Terps are official done!
05-nono
02-21-2004 06:49 PM
Advertisement

T-Monay820
Unregistered

kaisersayzo Wrote:Can the Duke fans out there explain to me why Horvath played so many minutes?
I think Shav had foul trouble, and Horvath is our next bigman.
02-21-2004 09:16 PM
T-Monay820
Unregistered

More evidence of JJ not being the only factor:

Duke 70 - FSU 65

Deng 20
Duhon 12
Ewing 15
Williams 14

Redick 7

If Deng, Ewing, Williams and Redick are all producing, Duke dominates. But when he isn't they can still win as shown tonight, but the final score could have been different. Duke needs everyone to score, including Duhons 9-12 pts, to win. JJ is a major weapon, no disputing that, but he isn't the only factor to decide Duke's fate. If anyone, I think it should probably be Williams.
02-29-2004 11:32 PM
Advertisement

kaisersayzo Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

T-Monay820 Wrote:More evidence of JJ not being the only factor:

Duke 70 - FSU 65

Deng 20
Duhon 12
Ewing 15
Williams 14

Redick 7

If Deng, Ewing, Williams and Redick are all producing, Duke dominates. But when he isn't they can still win as shown tonight, but the final score could have been different. Duke needs everyone to score, including Duhons 9-12 pts, to win. JJ is a major weapon, no disputing that, but he isn't the only factor to decide Duke's fate. If anyone, I think it should probably be Williams.
You know T I never intended to impy that JJ carried your team. I have been saying for ever now that Deng and Williams are outstanding players. What I have continually argued is that just because Duhon is a senior doesn't mean he is leading the team.

As for Duhon, he played OK last night and did come up clutch with the free throws and the dribble penetration to seal it for Duke last night. He played well when he needed to. The rest of his performance was nothing more than average. 12 points, 3 assists, 2 TO's, 3 steals.

Duke is a very good team. I will never say otherwise. What gets under my skin is when everyone tries to sell me on a player that just isn't as good as the media makes them out to be. Williams, Deng, and JJ are that good. Duhon just isn't. It would be a shame if he made 1st team anything over these other proven players.
03-01-2004 09:34 AM
T-Monay820
Unregistered

I see voting for the MVP in two possible ways:

1) Numbers. PPG, RPG, APG... All these are used to "calculate" the best player. Talent wise, this may make sense. McCants, Williams, all fall under this.
2) Importance to the team. What's the team's record? When down or up by 5 or less with under 2 minutes? Duhon, Blake, Pickett fall under this (though Pickett obviously has much better numbers than both of the other two).

I can elaborate if you want, but I think you know what I'm getting at.
03-01-2004 08:05 PM
kaisersayzo Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

T-Monay820 Wrote:I see voting for the MVP in two possible ways:

1) Numbers. PPG, RPG, APG... All these are used to "calculate" the best player. Talent wise, this may make sense. McCants, Williams, all fall under this.
2) Importance to the team. What's the team's record? When down or up by 5 or less with under 2 minutes? Duhon, Blake, Pickett fall under this (though Pickett obviously has much better numbers than both of the other two).

I can elaborate if you want, but I think you know what I'm getting at.
I see what you are saying. The problem with Duhon is his numbers. That's all. He has come up big before when it was needed. Saying that you want him with the ball in the end is kind of a joke though. Do you really want a 60% free throw shooter with the ball? or do you want a 97% FT shooter that hits better than 40% from the 3? I think if you asked any coach in the country who they would rather defend against in the last seconds of the game the resounding answer would be Duhon. JJ is just to good. Pickett on the other hand does lead his team and carry them in the close ones while shooting well. Duhon just doesn't always provide that and his numbers show it.

So in the end the ACC POY will be the guy who provide both numbers and leadership. Duhon doesn't do both. Pickett does, Hodge Does, Gray Does, Elder does.
03-03-2004 10:16 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.