Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Why can't we get the top football prospects in Memphis?
Bookmark and Share
Anonymous
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
Why can't we get the top football prospects in Memphis?
It just seems like every year other schools come in here and get all the top prospects. The only ones that we get close with are the ones that the other schools don't want. I just wish that we could start getting one or two top prospects a year out of memphis.
12-14-2005 02:26 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Easterwood Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS

From talking to some of the better players they mention the BCS, a chance for a national championship, conferences, etc., are they hearing this from opposing coaches? It's what many are saying.
12-14-2005 03:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TigerTodd72 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis
Re: Why can't we get the top football prospects in Memphis?
TigerBlue1031 Wrote:It just seems like every year other schools come in here and get all the top prospects. The only ones that we get close with are the ones that the other schools don't want. I just wish that we could start getting one or two top prospects a year out of memphis.

I would imagine the BCS and national television exposure is a big part of it. No -scratch that - a huge part of it. Occasionally a top athlete (DeAngelo) will come to the U of M supremely confident in his abilities and want his chance to play either right away - or much quicker than he would at a BCS school. Personally, I like the athletes that Tommy recruits - and I think this year he's picking and choosing a bit more because he has a limited number (15 or 16) of schollys available, so he's going after quality over quantity.

Locally, I think we should always expect the top Memphis footballers to look elsewhere first, just because of the exposure issue. But there will always be some that choose to stay home for family reasons, personal reasons (girlfriend might be there), or just a burning desire to play in front of friends and family.
12-14-2005 04:59 PM
TigerEdward Offline
Poker Stars All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Easterwood Wrote:From talking to some of the better players they mention the BCS, a chance for a national championship, conferences, etc., are they hearing this from opposing coaches? It's what many are saying.

Well I hope it is not Arkansas, Ole Miss, or Mississippi State fans telling them that. We have as good of a chance at a BCS game in the next few years as any of them. They are feeding off the bottom of the SEC. 06-football lmfao lmfao lmfao lmfao lmfao lmfao

They are just spreading lies. :johnkerry:
12-14-2005 05:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
northcarolinatiger Offline
All American

I Root For: U of M Tigers

I think the chance to play in a great city and study in a great city at a great school would be the deciding factor.
12-15-2005 07:51 AM
Advertisement

HHammerhead Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Football

Donators

A lot of kids like to get away from home when they go to college. Also, traditional schools have advantages. Memphis doesn't have a heritage football program yet, but we're on our way.

Virginia Tech didn't become "big time" until Michael Vick came in and bumped them up another level. VT rose to BCS level by joining the Big East, Vick took them to a NC game, and now they're in the ACC. VT is light years away from where they were as a school in 1995.

It could happen for us. We may just remember DW as the man who started it all....
12-15-2005 11:34 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tigernole79 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Kool-Aid

I think Memphis tradition (or lack of it) is a deciding factor as well. Most of the kids growing up didn't see Memphis as a winner. I think when you will see things really improve is down the road, as we show ourself out as a consistant winner... then high school athletes will think of us at the same time as the traditional schools.
12-16-2005 08:41 PM
Hernando Hills Tiger Offline
High score: 819 (credit)

I Root For: USA

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs

The local senior class is not that deep this year from what I understand. We'll only sign 15 since we have so many redshirts this year. We will be a totally different type of team next year.
12-17-2005 10:23 PM
ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

I see some people still have their heads in the sand about this thing. The problem is local media exposure. You cannot have a kid force fed SEC SEC SEC and how much better they are by the local media and not expect them to want to go there. We have people who are PAID by some SEC schools in the media who do nothing but promote those programs. Under NCAA rules a school cannot comment on a player until he/she signs the letter of intent, yet these media personel claiming to be unbias can get a name of a recruit from the school or supporter and use their show as a recruiting tool to stear that recruit to the school. We have local media people who run recruiting services for some of the schools and know every potential recruit out there and do their part in making sure that recruit goes to the school.
12-18-2005 11:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.