Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NCAA tournament seeding.
Bookmark and Share
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
NCAA tournament seeding.
Big surprise Belmont got a 15 Davidson got a 15 heck even Winthrop got a 15. After all the talk of the A-Sun being in the play in game and the SoCon getting a 14 or maybe even as high as a 13.. lol looked what happened. Thats what i have said all along, yeah the A-Sun sucks but the majority of the country lumps the low majors together and you really have to do something to special to get noticed.
03-12-2006 07:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I Root For: Justice

So what?

You're placing far more emphasis on NCAA Tournament seeding then you should.
03-12-2006 07:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
etsuBucsFan1988 Offline
Millennial Grief Counselor

I Root For: ETSU Hoops

The only way that the A-Sun would have been in the play-in was if a Campbell or the like would have somehow won the conf tourney. As long as ETSU (and the others) are in conferences such as the A-Sun, SoCon, OVC, Big South, etc. they will always be no better than 15. And those teams will always have to win their respective conf tourney. Until we move to an A-10, Missouri Valley or a Coloniel-type conference this is what we will always have to look forward to.
03-12-2006 07:58 PM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

PittsburghBucs Wrote:So what?

You're placing far more emphasis on NCAA Tournament seeding then you should.

What else matters? In 1 bid conference like the A-Sun and SoCon all that matters is who you have to play the first round (your seed). The big worry is how much longer will the A-Sun hold on to that 1 bid. In the A-Sun I figured Belmont or Lispcomb would get 15's. ETSU, FAU or Gardner-Webb probably a 16, anybody else the playin. SoCon I figured DAvidson or G-Southern for a 15, CoC or Chattanoga a 16 and anybody else in the play in game.
03-12-2006 08:04 PM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Murray St (OVC) got a 14.. The other 15 was Penn (Ivy)
03-12-2006 08:08 PM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors

The seeding committee was smoked up when they did this bracket. Tennessee a TWO SEED are you kidding me? Happy for Belmont at a 15, impressive for a team who has NEVER BEEN to the NCAA tourney. Air Force didn't deserve a bid, and I'm not sure that Texas A and M did either, not over Creighton, Cincy, Michigan or Florida State.
03-12-2006 08:19 PM
Advertisement

Bucster Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU

I agree with Rod...the people that do these brackets don't see much of a difference at all between the Socon and A-Sun. We may see a difference but when it all matters which is tournament time, the A-Sun and the Socon almost always get the same seed year after year. Infact contrary to popular belief the A-Sun has NEVER been in the play-in game and hasn't had a 16th seed in years. And it's obvious that tradition and RPI plays no part at all in these brackets. You have Davidson who had a much higher RPI than Belmont and who has a rich basketball tradition ends up gettin the SAME seed as a team from the A-Sun that has NEVER been to the tourney. See a trend? I do. Like or not the NCAA seems to pair up the Big South, Southern, and A-Sun as the same level of basketball.
03-13-2006 12:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bucster Offline
All American

Just to add to what I said above. I have done a little research and the A-Sun has not had a 16th seed since 1996 when UCF was a 16...yeah its been 10 years. The last time the Socon had a 16th seed was in 2001 when it was UNCG. Explain that one.

I'm not saying at all that the A-Sun is better than the Socon when it comes to the brand of basketball that is played. I don't think it is, however the Socon and the A-Sun plays for the same thing every year and that is the best seed that they can get in the tournment. And if you look at the brackets the past 10 years you will notice that the A-Sun has actually had better seeds than the Socon, but for the most part it's all about the same. Which is a 13-15 every year for both conferences.
03-13-2006 12:17 AM
etsuBucsFan1988 Offline
Millennial Grief Counselor

I Root For: ETSU Hoops

Here is how I see what the selection committee thinks when looking at conferences (in no particular order):

The
03-13-2006 07:54 AM
Bucster Offline
All American

How about this one pitt? You said my GSU argument was nonsense...just curious as to what you think about what I stated above?
03-13-2006 11:17 AM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I think that the mid-majors are pushed to the back by the NCAA- and though there are countless instances of this I think the best one is the play-in game.

You're teling me you can't take one bid away from a 17-11 Conference USA team to avoid two smaller conferences the embarassment of playing in that game?

When ETSU was the 17th ranked team in the nation in 1991- it would seem likely that they would get a seed somewhere around a five.

They got a 10.

Still, I think we are placing too much emphasis on this. Mid-majors aren't going to get good seeds.

To focus in on that is to say all other factors in a conference are irrelevant.

They aren't- and I would say that you have a better chance of making a higher seed playing the schools currently in the So Con than currently in the A-Sun.

This 15 seed arguement is a line right out of the David Mullins playbook.
03-13-2006 11:37 AM
Advertisement

RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

the Missouri Valley got 4 teams in, that is as many as the ACC, Big 12 and Pac 10. the CAA and WAC both got 2 teams in.
The chance to make it as an at large is greater now then ever before if you are in the right position.
03-13-2006 11:58 AM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

Which is not as a member of the Atlantic Sun Conference.

This and more relevant points can be found in the latest issue of "DUH!"
03-13-2006 12:25 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

By the way Rod, what is your opinion of the greatest head coach ETSU had since Madison Brooks taking Penn State back to a post-season tournament?

You know- the one you said would be fired in a year?

Or was it at the end of the year?

You know- the one who when he left- this program tanked- and he then rebuilt a lousy program into a tourney team?

What was that you said- "If Penn State fans want to lose they'll keep him" or words to that effect?

And here you are- championing the conference that our athletic director has put us into.

Let me give you, therefore, the more ACCURATE statement-

If ETSU fans want to lose- they'll continue to make excuses for the A-Sun Conference our esteemed Athletic Director put us into.
03-13-2006 12:29 PM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

you mean the guy who went 15-14 and 6-10 in the conference (tied for 8th in a 11 team conference) Yippie for him.
03-13-2006 01:45 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

Pitt's Guy- Takes a 7 win team to 15 wins in the Big 10 in three years.

Rod's Guy- Takes an NCAA Tourney team to 15 wins in the A-Sun in three years.

Hmmmm- I wonder what is more impressive.
03-13-2006 04:08 PM
Advertisement

RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

PittsburghBucs Wrote:Pitt's Guy- Takes a 7 win team to 15 wins in the Big 10 in three years.

Rod's Guy- Takes an NCAA Tourney team to 15 wins in the A-Sun in three years.

Hmmmm- I wonder what is more impressive.

My guy? the guy who I have posted repeatedly needs to be fired. No you aren't going to be able to spin it so I look like a supporter of Bartow.
03-13-2006 04:10 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

What's firing Bartow going to do?

Give the guy who hired him another chance to bring in the wrong candidate?
03-13-2006 05:51 PM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

[quote="PittsburghBucs"]I think that the mid-majors are pushed to the back by the NCAA- and though there are countless instances of this I think the best one is the play-in game.

[quote]

Here is your whole problem The SoCon and A-Sun are not mid major conferences they are low majors. Sometimes a team will rise above that status and become a mid major but the conference is not elevated.

CAA, A-10, Missiouri Valley, Conference USA.. those are example of mid majors conferences. Not the A-Sun, SoCon, OVC or Big South.
03-13-2006 06:17 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

Please don't try to confuse people with semantics.
03-13-2006 06:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.