Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Talk about trading your soul for a piece of silver . . .
Bookmark and Share
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I Root For: Justice
Talk about trading your soul for a piece of silver . . .
http://www.tricitiessports.com/default.a...ts&he=.com

This isn't a good move for Miss Sams.
02-08-2006 11:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

2006etsugrad Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

No kidding.

The team played last year at West Greene High School in Greeneville/Mosheim. Dont know if you know anything about that "facility" but that place isnt really equipped to handle a Class AA TSSAA Football game let alone anything resembling a "pro" football game..

Nevertheless, the press release there didnt seem like it was official, just the owner of the "team" going to the restaurant, and asking her. Heck, the girl may not even know she really "agreed" to do the cheerleading gig. She was at work, and then asked to cheer. She probably had no idea who/what they were, i'm kinda skeptical of that deal.

Also, she was on Fox News either Monday or Tuesday, and she didnt say a whole lot during her live interview, but the Fox News host just absolutely ate ETSU and Mullins and Bartow alive.
02-08-2006 04:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

That's good to hear.

Sadly, I think the administration are so entrenched there is nothing they can do that will get them removed. The coach took a perennial NCAA Tournament team to 7-19 and he was given an extension.

Look, ETSU fans won't stand up and boo. They don't demand responsibility for their athletic teams or their officials.

We have a thread on the other board that laments "boo-hoo-hoo. The Johnson City Press won't ask tough questions."

Well, there was once a reporter who asked the tough questions and instead of rallying around him, the fans called him names and treated him with scorn.

But I digress.

Ron Bliss should be ashamed of this piece. He should have called up Sams and found out what sort of a commitment she really gave them. A semi-pro owner going to Hooters and asking "Would you like to cheer?" is hardly news.
02-09-2006 10:52 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BucNIowa Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

I also heard that her grades were another factor in removing her from the squad. Can anyone confirm this?
02-09-2006 11:18 AM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

From the Press story-

"Cheerleaders are required to maintain at least a 2.0 grade-point average. Sams said freshmen, however, were not held to that standard, and her grades were not cited in her dismissal."

Now, a few things here. First- if Tammy Bartow made a public statement early on about this and indicated "we did this for her own good because she needs to concentrate on her studies rather than extracurricular activities"- there is no story- there is no embarassment- there is no Jay Leno or FOX News.

So either Bartow didn't make this statement because-

Sams is right- and there is no such GPA standard for freshmen.

OR

Bartow is an idiot who doesn't know how to nip a story like this in the bud to the local press shills.
02-09-2006 12:14 PM
Advertisement

BucNIowa Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

It is hard for me to believe that there is no grade point requirement for freshman cheerleaders. So, as a freshman you don't need to go to class or study in order to be on the cheerleading squad. That sounds like a good gig, I mean really all those classes can interfere with the important things in college.
02-09-2006 12:42 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

If that's the case, then why hasn't Tammy Bartow gone and explained this to save face?

And let's face it- the question is already on the table as to if Kimberly Sams has the grades to do this. Bartow can't use the "we don't want to make public her academic shortcomings" excuse.

Not that ETSU has such class in the first place. I am living proof of that.
02-09-2006 02:23 PM
Advertisement

etsuBucsFan1988 Offline
Millennial Grief Counselor

I Root For: ETSU Hoops

...and if she gets on girls gone wild she'll get a free t-shirt!!!

trash in....trash out
02-09-2006 10:12 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

That said- I found this comment on a website BrooksonSports- which mixes babes with sports (not a bad combo).

Kimberly Sams was kicked off the East Tennessee State University cheerleading squad for being a Hooters waitress but thanks to recent publicity, she'll have the opportunity to become a Jammin' Raptor Girl for the Tennessee Raptors of the Alliance Football League. Games don't begin until August but look for her and the other Raptor Girls to be part of a Raptor Girls Swimsuit Calendar for 2006.

Let me see if I understand what's happened here: Hooters --> Punishment --> Publicity --> Paying gig --> Swimsuit Calendar. Looks like she learned the lesson, ETSU! Keep up the good work!

The problem is I'm not sure that this will be a paying gig. Though I'm sure Sams will be a bigger draw than any of the players, by August if she is still playing the same game her star appeal will be that of Jimmy Walker's.

Best for her to do the modeling shoot NOW. If you can sell a calendar in March, go for it, otherwise- I'm thinking Sports Illustrated calendar vs. Kim Sams head to head- kinda liking SI there.

Again, I'm behind Kim Sams 100% in her battle with ETSU. It's not because of Title IX issues or women's lib or any of that stuff- and you'll lose the war if you go that route.

It's because it makes ETSU look like the bunch of self-serving prudes they are.

That battle's already been won- and if Sams is smart if and when she gets a trip to LA or NYC she should meet with a photographer and a talent agent real quick, put school on hold while making some money and fame with real pursuits and not semi-pro football idol worship, and if it doesn't work out college will always be there.
02-14-2006 12:27 PM
Advertisement

etsuBucsFan1988 Offline
Millennial Grief Counselor

I Root For: ETSU Hoops

Let me see if I understand what's happened here: Hooters --> Punishment --> Publicity --> Paying gig --> Swimsuit Calendar.

as I said....Trash in, Trash out
02-14-2006 03:21 PM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors

Not really bucs fan... She's a sweet girl in all honesty. Just a typical East Tennessee high school graduate that wasn't from D-B, The Hill, Greeneville or Tennessee High that wasn't academically prepared for college. Trash is an inaccurate description.
02-15-2006 04:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.