Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

McCollum Error at MT is over
Bookmark and Share
Unixmaster
Unregistered

Middle Tennessee fires McCollum
By Adam Sparks
DNJ staff writer

MTSU head football coach Andy McCollum has been fired from the position effective immediately, the Daily News Journal has learned. He was notified of the coaching change by MTSU athletic director Chris Massaro today.

The Blue Raiders, who lost 24-3 at North Carolina State Saturday, have two games remaining on their schedule. According to sources close to the program, McCollum was given the option by Massaro to coach the final two games of the season and accepted. MTSU plays at Troy Saturday before closing the season at Florida International on Dec. 3.

McCollum, who is amid a fourth straight losing season in his seven-year tenure, is set to meet with the MTSU football team tonight to address his firing.

Massaro declined comment pending an official statement from the athletic department Monday.

McCollum, who has one year remaining on his contract, has an overall record of 33-44.

After MTSU jumped to Division I-A in 1999, McCollum had back-to-back winning seasons in 2000 (6-5) and 2001 (8-3), claiming a share of the Sun Belt championship in the latter year. Each winning season also earned him the TSWA Coach of the Year award. However, the Blue Raiders went 16-28 over the last four seasons, including a 12-14 conference mark. MTSU is 3-6 this season and 2-3 in the Sun Belt.

Meanwhile, the Blue Raiders have lost four straight home openers in front of large crowds, leading to a slump in home attendance. McCollum was hired as MTSU’s 13th head football coach on Dec. 8, 1998. He was an assistant at MTSU from 1982-88 under former head coach and athletic director Boots Donnelly. He also was an assistant at UTEP (1989-93), Baylor (1989-93) and Tennessee (1995, seven weeks).
11-20-2005 06:24 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU

Unfortuantly you guys are hiring Rick Stockstill 01-wingedeagle

RIP Middle Tenn State 01-swc cause you are in deep doo doo.

Stockstill coached at ECU, and was by far and away the worst Offensive Coordinator ever. He turned a 28 points per game offense the year before that returned everyone an was loaded including a senior line, with 3 guy that were playing in the NFL the next season and a QB that attended the Elite 11 camp into a 18 ppg offense and our team into a loser. The most pathetic play calling I have seen from any team. Be prepared to run the outdated Danny Ford Clemson offense of the 80's and get no where.

He was supposed to be a good recruiter but I think that is over rated as well. Needless to say his stint was short. He lasted 1 year before he was sent packing. ECU couldn't stand the "Stockstill Standstill" as it was dubbed.

Good luck you guys really need it.
12-11-2005 11:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators

I think MTSU would have been much better off if they had hired Pat Sullivan... but I'm glad they didn't :domokun:
12-12-2005 01:01 AM
RaiderATO Offline
Puddin' Stick

I Root For: MiddleTennessee

I disagree with both of you. He has said he will spread the field and play some "basketball on grass." His is fired up, and the players are too. He sounds like a great motivator and he's ready to get back to recruiting during the offseason. He says he wil fill his staff with winners.
I know it's somewhat coachspeak, but the title of the thread says it all. McCollum ERROR over at MT. He's got me excited and I'm not one to get giddy over this sort of thing. I'm glad McCollum is gone. That alone should give us 3 more wins next year.
Stockstill wanted to come here. He saw that MT was likely going to let McCollum go and was already researching the athletics and the University halfway through the season. Once McCollum was gone, he applied. He wants to make a name for himself. That means taking chances and I like it. I don't like settling for a FG when you're at 4th and 1 under the 20 yd line.
I can't wait for our offense to get back to how it was run in 2004. The big plays and high scores. Our defense did well this year, we just need our points back. I think this will get them back.
12-13-2005 03:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.