Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Observations from KSU Men's BB Banquet
Flash Freak Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
Observations from KSU Men's BB Banquet
I attended the men's BB banquet last night. I've been to many before but this one was more interesting to me since we have (or had) a few "issues" with this years team (coach leaving? Q, Omni and Singletary missing time, etc). Here's a few observations;

* JC is very appreciative about the opportinity he's been provided at KSU. He was very emphatic about how much he enjoys coaching at KSU, the support he gets from Laing and the university. He openly expressed his affection for the team and the program that he's helped to build. He wishes the fan support for the program was better but is really excited about next years team. They'll face off in the early season Chicago tourney against Xavier with the winner playing the Indiana / IL State winner. He's looking hard for a few other big name opponents to play as well. JC said the goal next season is the same as for every season; win the MAC and get to the NCAA Tourney.

* The KSU team in general is a real treat to be around. Nearly all are very friendly, greeting even strangers with a big smile and hearty handshake. They're genuinely happy that you made the effort to come out and see them. Most were very complimentary of the environment that KSU provides to them (coaching, guidance, help with problems and opportiunities outside of basketball). The departing seniors sure don't want to go!

* Armon Gates is about the classiest young man that you'll ever meet. He is going to try get into coaching, probably find a Grad Assistant position someplace for next season. He said he'd love to follow in Haut's shoes and get back to Kent.

* Omni will graduate and thank God his degree will not be in broadcast communications. He is a funny speaker (let's leave it at that). Great kid as well.

* Singletary was much more relaxed and friendly than at any time I've ever seen / spoken to him. He appears to be enjoying himself and seems locked in to KSU for the long haul. He was a jokester, hooting and hollering as his teamates were recognized for awards.

* Q seems to have found himself here at KSU as well. He's a shy kid who's just not very comfortable (trusting?) of many people. JC commented that we have not yet seen the total Q on the floor package yet...

* Coach Opp mentioned "Kent Message boards" so it appears that at least someone on the coaching staff reads this stuff and is aware of all our opinions.

That's about it. Very enjoyable evening!
04-06-2007 10:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FlashFan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Kent State

Great post. Thanks. Plus, I sure don't blame J.C. for calling out the fans. They call him out enough.

Man, I cannot wait until November top off.
04-06-2007 12:23 PM
oldfan1 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Re: Observations from KSU Men's BB Banquet
Flash Freak Wrote:I attended the men's BB banquet last night. I've been to many before but this one was more interesting to me since we have (or had) a few "issues" with this years team (coach leaving? Q, Omni and Singletary missing time, etc). Here's a few observations;

* JC is very appreciative about the opportinity he's been provided at KSU. He was very emphatic about how much he enjoys coaching at KSU, the support he gets from Laing and the university. He openly expressed his affection for the team and the program that he's helped to build. He wishes the fan support for the program was better but is really excited about next years team. They'll face off in the early season Chicago tourney against Xavier with the winner playing the Indiana / IL State winner. He's looking hard for a few other big name opponents to play as well. JC said the goal next season is the same as for every season; win the MAC and get to the NCAA Tourney.

* The KSU team in general is a real treat to be around. Nearly all are very friendly, greeting even strangers with a big smile and hearty handshake. They're genuinely happy that you made the effort to come out and see them. Most were very complimentary of the environment that KSU provides to them (coaching, guidance, help with problems and opportiunities outside of basketball). The departing seniors sure don't want to go!

* Armon Gates is about the classiest young man that you'll ever meet. He is going to try get into coaching, probably find a Grad Assistant position someplace for next season. He said he'd love to follow in Haut's shoes and get back to Kent.

* Omni will graduate and thank God his degree will not be in broadcast communications. He is a funny speaker (let's leave it at that). Great kid as well.

* Singletary was much more relaxed and friendly than at any time I've ever seen / spoken to him. He appears to be enjoying himself and seems locked in to KSU for the long haul. He was a jokester, hooting and hollering as his teamates were recognized for awards.

* Q seems to have found himself here at KSU as well. He's a shy kid who's just not very comfortable (trusting?) of many people. JC commented that we have not yet seen the total Q on the floor package yet...

* Coach Opp mentioned "Kent Message boards" so it appears that at least someone on the coaching staff reads this stuff and is aware of all our opinions.

That's about it. Very enjoyable evening!
............ ...Thank you for your report....all i have ever hear about armon is positive, ill mis him ,maybe he will be back as a coach someday , next year will be scotts senior year, that im going to hate , he is my favorite player...i hope we win big next year.....nothing about jc ha..can somebody ask him simply..sir, are you still looking for a job? where the courier or the beacon or the kentstater ...ask its simple and a yes or no will do!!!! 05-stirthepot 04-bow
04-06-2007 02:28 PM
Advertisement

Kent 76 Offline
All American

I Root For:

Thanks, Flash Freak. At an outing about 2 1/2 years ago I met Armon Gates, as well as DeAndre Haynes and Jay Youngblood. In fact, they came over and introduced themselves while mingling with the crowd. All three seemed genuinely nice, polite and mature. Sure, they may have just been following orders, but they seemed genuine. Over Kent's "run", I can't think of any major incidents among players that would embarrass the programm, and it seems that those who stay with the program get their degrees and many obtain really good grades (Mike Scott, Bryan Bedford, Demetric Shaw, et al). Grated, the thing a fan most wants to see is success on the court, but the fact that Kent has been winning with, for the most part, decent people who work towards their degree is "icing on the cake", as it were.
04-06-2007 05:09 PM
Flashes Win Again Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

It's great to hear how classy the players are off the court because molding student/athletes into future leaders is one of the coaching staff's most important responsibilities. Their attitudes makes me a proud alumni knowing that we have great guys representing us on the basketball team.

I'm already looking forward to the day Armon becomes a coach at Kent.
04-06-2007 07:32 PM
FlashFan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Kent State

I understand Armon will be hanging around Kent State in some capacity next year to finish his Master's degree.
04-07-2007 11:26 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.