Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

JAZZYUTE POSTS SUGGEST BOYLEN MAY HAVE.....
oldfan1 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
JAZZYUTE POSTS SUGGEST BOYLEN MAY HAVE.....
turned down the job , and that they interv. jc right after that ,they suggest that jc is the back-up plan , if boylen did turned it down ,than jc should be the coach by monday............all that iv'e read in every little hole in the net lmfao lmfao ..you all should be glad you got someone with no life lmfao lmfao that can take lots of time looking for stuff for you to read,,..,,, (kidding, i got a life ) 03-weeping.SIDE NOTE..gossip but could be truE: MAJERUS MADE AN INQUIRE ABOUT THE IOWA JOB...WOOOOWOOO NEELLLY ..HIDE ALL THE HOT DOGS AND BURGERS IN AMES... lmfao lmfao
03-25-2007 08:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FlashFan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Kent State

Doesn't sound like a man who has turned down a job...

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,660206253,00.html
Quote:Sometime this week, perhaps within a day or so, the University of Utah should name a new head basketball coach.
It could be someone that has been talked about in the newspapers and on the Internet for the past couple of weeks such as Jim Christian or Blaine Taylor. Or it could be someone whose name has been kept top-secret by tight-lipped Utah athletic director Chris Hill.
Though I don't have a say in it, I believe Ute fans would be happy if the Utes choose Michigan State assistant coach Jim Boylen.
I had hardly heard of the guy until a couple of weeks ago, but what I've found out since in talking to him personally and researching his career has impressed me.
Not only does Boylen seem like a smart coach with a lot of experience in the NBA and for a top college program, he seems like the kind of guy who could excite the local community and student body about Utah basketball. That's something the last two coaches couldn't do for a sustained period.
Sure, Rick Majerus won a lot of games, which everybody hopes from a coach. But the big man turned off a lot of people with his quirkiness, his bad-mouthing of Utah (even if it was often done in jest), his annual flirtations with other jobs and the manner in which he treated his people outside his inner circle.
The fact that the attendance went down every year but one over his last eight years despite perennial 20-win seasons shows Ute fans weren't enamored of Majerus in his later years.
Ray Giacoletti was the antithesis of Majerus, a nice guy who got along with everyone but wasn't great with the X's and O's. Though he worked hard and led his first team to a NCAA Sweet 16 appearance behind the National Player of the Year, his low-key personality and monotone delivery didn't excite the U. fan base. And the lack of wins the past two years turned them off even further.
Boylen may be the man to bring some excitement back to Ute basketball, along with winning seasons.
Unlike a coach who might be leaving another program to get out of town ahead of the posse or a coach who might reluctantly be leaving a comfortable position, Boylen seems excited to get his head coaching career going and wants to be in Utah.
In a 15-minute conversation with Boylen last week, I found him to be a dynamic individual. He was genuinely excited about the Utah job, had already researched it thoroughly and knew what had to be done to turn things around.
He was very familiar with the area because of his NBA experience, even to the point of knowing the name of certain local restaurants.
The biggest negative for many fans is Boylen's lack of head coaching experience.
But would you rather have a guy who was tutored by the likes of Rudy Tomjanovich and Tom Izzo for more than a decade or someone who was fairly successful as a head coach at a smaller program with little experience in big-time basketball? Plus, every successful coach has moved from assistant to head coach at some point in his career.
Three years ago, in the spring of 2004, Boylen was a candidate for the open Texas A&M job that Billy Gillespie ended up getting.
A story in the Houston Chronicle before the hiring reported Texas A&M received glowing recommendations from Izzo and Tomjanovich.
The story quoted a source close to Boylen saying he had already broken down tape of the Aggies' season and prepared a video presentation of offensive and defensive sets he would run. He also detailed what he would do on each of his first 30 days to reconstruct the program.
One source at the U. said that Boylen had wowed Hill in his interview last Wednesday in San Antonio, perhaps with a similar presentation.
Maybe today or tomorrow we'll find out that Hill has found a coach that no one has even talked about over the past month that may turn out to be even better than Boylen. Or he could name Boylen as the next coach.
Whether it's at Utah or at another university, here's betting Boylen will be a successful head coach somewhere during the next couple of years.
03-26-2007 06:25 AM
GFlash68 Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State

Crappies

If as the writer is indicating, that they want someone who is engaging with fans outside his inner circle, then it will not be JC. Not that there is anything wrong with being aloof if you are winning, but some programs expect a close relationship between coach and fan base. Gary Waters was the best that I have known with the correct balance in that regard. Maybe if UU gets JC, we should go after Broylan. 05-stirthepot
03-26-2007 09:16 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.