Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

EMU'S FINAL HOME GAME
Bookmark and Share
Dennis Rachwal Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
EMU'S FINAL HOME GAME
What a shame, such a nasty weather day, Atttendance took a real beating this season although Diles numbers appear to have been inflated over the past few years. The AD has his work cut out for him - how do you get the attendance numbers up for FB and B Ball? Is winning the answer? Not Sure? 23,000+ students who have little or no interest in athletics. Alums? Local area residents?
02-25-2007 09:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

huroncowboy Offline
1st String

I Root For: EMU

Well we say goodbye to two seniors Cashen and Knaub and we wish them well, Cashen has been through it all and seen it all during his career at EMU-hopefully he and Knaub leave knowing the program will see better days ahead. We wish them well.

In terms of attendance, you're right Rock, the new AD does have his work cut out for him. Not sure of all the answers or even where to start, but I'm can't speak for others, but I'm tired of EMU being mocked for poor attendance and losing. Lets hope the team today and the rest of the reason regroups and goes out on a positive note.
02-25-2007 09:55 AM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

Attendance
I get the feeling that EMU is the most honest school in the NCAA when it comes to reporting basketball attendance. I've seen other MAC games on TV that apear to have sparse crowds only to see 4,000+ in the box score.

Winning is the only true way to consistently increase attendance. Look at what it did for the Tigers last year. I've got a vendor that had a difficult time giving his behind-the-dugout tickets away in years past. Last year, he had everyone asking about them (fortunatly he was nice enough to take me and two co-workers to game 3 against NY 04-rock )

Winning creates interest in the community. It creates a buzz and, most importantly, it generates media attention.

On a related note, EMU does need to do a better job with scheduling. They've done a good job with attracting opponents but they've got to improve the starting times. 3PM on a work day is unacceptable! 4PM on a Saturday isn't as good as 7PM. I only made it to 2 games this year in part because of these start times.
02-25-2007 10:13 AM
huroncowboy Offline
1st String

Totally agree with you about the start times in both football and basketball, move the start times back abit more towards the evenings if its possible.
02-25-2007 01:06 PM
Advertisement

TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

Re: Attendance
TheWoodenNickle Wrote:I get the feeling that EMU is the most honest school in the NCAA when it comes to reporting basketball attendance. I've seen other MAC games on TV that apear to have sparse crowds only to see 4,000+ in the box score.

Here's an example of how schools inflate the attendance numbers. I watched a few minutes of the NIU@CMU game on the tube today. There was a very sparse crowd that I though looked like 1,200 at most. The box score says 2,698. No way were there that many people at the game.
02-25-2007 05:29 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
honest numbers folks wanted and
the brutally honest numbers they are getting.

Remember when folks were literally demanding honest turnstile counts, the Echo investigating, etc. etc.

Some schools might have a different issue here.

Some schools actually have a decent season ticket base and they count tickets sold even if unused. (I see that at George Mason - sometimes a lot of center court seats are sold to season tix holders who pay a nice premium but don't attend all of the games).

We have such a small season ticket base, so that if the weather is bad, there won't be 500 - 1,000 sold but unused tixs.

One of the things about the Convo - there is no incentive to buy season tixs - always a lot of very good seats available.
02-25-2007 06:16 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

P.S. is weather overrated?
I watched the UT/WMU game - good crowd but not SRO.

Maryland is hosting UNC in Colllege Park, Md.

the Washington area got about 6 inches of snow but the arena is full.
02-25-2007 06:25 PM
Advertisement

DexterEagle Away
1st String

I Root For: EMU, MSU, SVSU,

I'm still puzzled by the lack of student interest in the basketball team. I've just finished watching the most enjoyable season I've seen in my several years of being a season/combo ticket holder. The team didn't win as much as everyone would like, but we saw some skilled play and watched a lot of young men develop into real MAC-level ball players. I would hope the improvement in the product on the court would translate into fannies in the seats next year.

It was great seeing Cashen and Knaub having good games during Senior Day. Knaub played some tough defense and had 9 important points and 6 rbs. Cashen's 3 consecutive treys in the second half buried Ball State. He also had 6 rbs and played tough defense. Congratulations and best wished to both of them.
02-26-2007 12:59 PM
huroncowboy Offline
1st String

Totally agree with your comments about Cashen and Knaub, they went out on the home floor and played very well.

Someone needs to explain to me how Lewis at 6'2 gets all those rebounds!

Yes, it has an overall pleasant surprise and even with Carlos out, there is a silver lining in that Axon and Dumes got some experience at PG and everyone on this team depending on injuries, eligibility and other items got some PT during the season.

Lets see how they do in their last two road games and the tournament.
02-26-2007 01:12 PM
EMUAARON Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hurons

I was a student from 2000-2005, and the only time there was ever an outreach to get fans it was through the greek organizations. When I was in the dorms we never had our RA try to get us out to the games, we didn't know about the free shuttle, and no one talked about the games.

I think RAs talking to the freshmen, athletic dept. reaching out to civic groups (especially the boy scouts and other similar groups that you see at games), and the greek community are all key to increased attendence. BW3 having free wings was great, but nobody knew about it until they got to the game. That needs to be advertised better (at the restaurant and in the echo). Also, they used to have great giveaways (the blimp that dropped money, free credit hours). Everyone got excited for the giveaways. Obviously not all are going to fall in love with the team, but some will (i did).

Anyways, that's my incoherent take on the attendance problem. I think winning will help, but if you win and no one knows, it doesn't really matter. I think winning while you have students attend for other reasons is the best way to get new fans.
02-26-2007 04:03 PM
Advertisement

TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

Looks like CMU's got attendance problems also. http://www.mlive.com/chippewas/sanews/in...thispage=2
03-03-2007 08:06 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

CMU will benefit from our experience with the Convo
and not build a building too big.

There was a lot of dreams and wishful thinking during the Boykins-era (which was kind of like hitting the lottery) that we'd have a top program for years and years and that we'd get big name teams to come for 2:1 type deals.

Realistically 6,500 to 7K would have been better.

UB took their 'barn' and remodeled it and DECREASED the number of seats by about 2,500.

Matter of fact there is a movement to build SMALLER FB stadia. BG decreased their seating as did NIU. MIA remodeled Yager and it sits LESS now then before.

Rynearson has a really neat design but too bad it was designed to meet the NCAA's 30K requirement of 20 years ago.
03-03-2007 10:18 AM
DexterEagle Away
1st String

Re: CMU will benefit from our experience with the Convo
emu steve Wrote:and not build a building too big.

There was a lot of dreams and wishful thinking during the Boykins-era (which was kind of like hitting the lottery) that we'd have a top program for years and years and that we'd get big name teams to come for 2:1 type deals.

Realistically 6,500 to 7K would have been better.

UB took their 'barn' and remodeled it and DECREASED the number of seats by about 2,500.

Matter of fact there is a movement to build SMALLER FB stadia. BG decreased their seating as did NIU. MIA remodeled Yager and it sits LESS now then before.

Rynearson has a really neat design but too bad it was designed to meet the NCAA's 30K requirement of 20 years ago.

You are forgetting that the Convo Center isn't just EMU's basketball court, it's a regional center used by the area high schools (many schools have there commencement ceremonies at the Convo) and the MHSAA (the girl's state basketball championships are moving there). There have been concerts, Easter services, and even a bowling tournament at the Convo in recent years. I'm told that during commencement ceremonies for each of the 3 high schools in the Plymouth-Canton district, the Convo is full. Knowing you have enough room is important in booking an event. A smaller facility probably wouldn't attract as many events. Besides, soon there will be more fans as the team continues to improve.
03-03-2007 04:33 PM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

Thanks, Dexter
I knew the plan was to make it more then a hoop palace and EMU convocations, but I was not aware that it was used as much as it is.

That makes me feel better.

Those who see it as a basketball arena would see it as much too large (even if the team rebounds sharply in years ahead).

I don't see EMU ever averaging more then 3 - 4K tops.

I do remember hearing that EMU will be getting the girls hoop tourney which I believe was played at CMU (????).
03-03-2007 05:18 PM
Huskiefan38 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies!!!
Re: Attendance
TheWoodenNickle Wrote:
TheWoodenNickle Wrote:I get the feeling that EMU is the most honest school in the NCAA when it comes to reporting basketball attendance. I've seen other MAC games on TV that apear to have sparse crowds only to see 4,000+ in the box score.

Here's an example of how schools inflate the attendance numbers. I watched a few minutes of the NIU@CMU game on the tube today. There was a very sparse crowd that I though looked like 1,200 at most. The box score says 2,698. No way were there that many people at the game.

I promise you... NIU is pretty honest too........................ i wish we wern't
03-04-2007 03:52 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DexterEagle Away
1st String

Re: Thanks, Dexter
emu steve Wrote:I do remember hearing that EMU will be getting the girls hoop tourney which I believe was played at CMU (????).

Actually, they've been at the Breslin Center at MSU. Nice pick up to get an event away from a great facility like the Breslin Center.
03-04-2007 05:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.