Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT - 2 Illini players hurt in crash, 1 in critical conditon
Bookmark and Share
NIU32 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU
OT - 2 Illini players hurt in crash, 1 in critical conditon
I know everyone hates the Illini, but that doesnt even matter...
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/...-headlines

Illini players hurt in crash

The Associated Press

February 13, 2007, 9:24 AM CST

A car crash has left two University of Illinois basketball players injured, one critically.

Authorities say freshman center Brian Carlwell of Maywood is in critical condition today at Carle Foundation Hospital.

His teammate, sophomore guard Jamar Smith of Peoria, was treated and released after the crash last night.

Illinois sports information director Kent Brown says both 19-year-olds suffered concussions.

University police Sgt. Vanessa Horsman says the players were injured when the car Smith was driving crossed the center line and struck a tree. Horsman says the accident is under investigation.

Smith is a part-time starter who's averaging eight points this season, while Carlwell, who went to Proviso East High School, is a reserve who averages less than two points per game.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Brian and his family, I hope he pulls through and makes a quick recovery
02-13-2007 11:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NIUtrav09 Offline
Huskies and Illini. Get over it!

I Root For: NIU and U of I

Wow.. just wow. My roommate is good buddies with Carlwell.. played basketball with him his whole life.... this is gonna be a rough day.
02-13-2007 11:18 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NIUbro Offline
1st String

I Root For:

What is with young drivers these days..It seems like every week we get news of serious auto accidents with young drivers. Let's hope that they come out of this okay. Tough situation for the Illini.
02-13-2007 11:28 AM
HuskiemobileMan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, MAC, Cubs
Donators

NIUbro Wrote:What is with young drivers these days..It seems like every week we get news of serious auto accidents with young drivers. Let's hope that they come out of this okay. Tough situation for the Illini.
I agree. Seems like at least once a week there is a horrible crash where several teens die. One of the ladies my mom works with had a son that just died from a car crash last week. He was 17 I think.
02-13-2007 11:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BleedsHuskieRed Offline
All American

Donators

Wow. That is awful news.
02-13-2007 12:05 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

This has been the season from hell. Hopefully Brian is alright.
02-13-2007 12:27 PM
Advertisement

huskiealum03 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU & Go Go Sox

NIUbro Wrote:What is with young drivers these days..It seems like every week we get news of serious auto accidents with young drivers. Let's hope that they come out of this okay. Tough situation for the Illini.

young drivers these days? As far as i know, young drivers have been the largest group to get in accidents for as long as i've driven and i'm sure even longer.
02-13-2007 12:29 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

Pictures:

[Image: 01.jpg]
[Image: 02.jpg]
[Image: 03.jpg]
02-13-2007 12:30 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

Oh and btw, Carlwell is is stable condition now.
02-13-2007 12:35 PM
HuskiemobileMan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, MAC, Cubs
Donators

Is that the cars they are giving the recruits down there? Pretty nice! 05-footinmouth

No seriously, I hope they both recover quickly.
02-13-2007 12:39 PM
niuhuskie84 Offline
All American

I Root For:

its totally senseless. this crash happened a couple weeks ago a town over from me, in riverside. 2 kids dead from our local high school. hit a tree. the car split in two. the tree is fine.

[Image: neon1.jpg]

[Image: neon2.jpg]

[Image: neon3.jpg]
02-13-2007 12:42 PM
Advertisement

7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

HuskiemobileMan Wrote:Is that the cars they are giving the recruits down there? Pretty nice! 05-footinmouth

No seriously, I hope they both recover quickly.
Wow, that was classy.
02-13-2007 04:37 PM
NIUHuskies86 Offline
Old by internet standards

HuskiemobileMan Wrote:Is that the cars they are giving the recruits down there? Pretty nice! 05-footinmouth

A lot nicer than the POS you roll in, I doubt your car (or you) would have survived a crash such as that under those circumstances.

Have a lovely day, dickhead. 04-rock
02-13-2007 06:39 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies

NIUHuskies86 Wrote:

A lot nicer than the POS you roll in, I doubt your car (or you) would have survived a crash such as that under those circumstances.

I feel sorry for the kids but it is not being a dickhead questioning how they can afford a Lexus. To be honest, when I first saw the pictures, that is exactly what I thought.
02-13-2007 07:27 PM
Flames24Rulz Offline
All American

I Root For: SIU and NIU

RobertN Wrote:
NIUHuskies86 Wrote:

I feel sorry for the kids but it is not being a dickhead questioning how they can afford a Lexus. To be honest, when I first saw the pictures, that is exactly what I thought.

I've seen plenty of NIU players have nicer cars than one would think as well.

OMG, THEY MUST BE GETTIN PAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
02-13-2007 07:28 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

Flames24Rulz Wrote:
RobertN Wrote:
NIUHuskies86 Wrote:

Wolfe's car is much nicer, as we both saw. We're paying Wolfe, obviously.
02-13-2007 07:29 PM
Advertisement

HuskiesComeOnYouHuskies Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Huskies!

7 Wrote:
Flames24Rulz Wrote:
RobertN Wrote:
NIUHuskies86 Wrote:

Wolfe's car is much nicer, as we both saw. We're paying Wolfe, obviously.

Yeah, especially when NIU players are getting full rides, but also pulling in those BIG FAFSA checks. I personally know a few guys stories that took those federal checks, cashed them, and spent big $$$ on nice cars. We'll leave the player's name out that was driving around in a brand new BMW suv last season! 04-chairshot
02-13-2007 07:33 PM
UIHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For: Illinois

Quote:I feel sorry for the kids but it is not being a dickhead questioning how they can afford a Lexus. To be honest, when I first saw the pictures, that is exactly what I thought.
That Lexus is between 8-10 years old and probably Blue Books for about $8,000 right about now. That's probably within price range for parents of a kid who is getting a free ride through school.

In addition, Smith wasn't exactly highly recruited.

FWIW, Carlwell was upgraded to serious condition. Sounds like the extent of injuries are a major concussion for Carlwell and a milder one for Smith.
02-13-2007 07:54 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

UIHuskie Wrote:
Quote:I feel sorry for the kids but it is not being a dickhead questioning how they can afford a Lexus. To be honest, when I first saw the pictures, that is exactly what I thought.
That Lexus is between 8-10 years old and probably Blue Books for about $8,000 right about now.

In addition, Smith wasn't exactly highly recruited.

FWIW, Carlwell was upgraded to serious condition. Sounds like the extent of injuries are a major concussion for Carlwell and a milder one for Smith.
You are right about the Lexus.

I know this may not be the best time for this, but I'm going to say it any way. With a major concussion, obviously Carlwell is out for the year. I'm pretty sure Jamar has "minor" one. Is Jamar going to return this year?

As for Carwell, I just wish the best in his recovery for him. If he comes back next year, then so be it. That's what not I'm worried about for him right now though.
02-13-2007 07:56 PM
UIHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For: Illinois

Quote:I know this may not be the best time for this, but I'm going to say it any way. With a major concussion, obviously Carlwell is out for the year. I'm pretty sure Jamar has "minor" one. Is Jamar going to return this year?
From what I know, they're going to take Jamar day-by-day and see how he does. From a scheduling standpoint they don't have a mid-week game in the Big Ten so they'll have a few extra days. I would highly doubt Smith plays until sometime next week at the earliest.

It does seem that both of them will be ok.
02-13-2007 08:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.