Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Press Conference Today ???
Bookmark and Share
badgerwolf Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Hey NLU fans; now that I have your attention what is up with the ULM press conference today. Give us an update, please!
:eek:
07-16-2004 06:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

LouisianaIndian Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

ULM to announce Sun Belt plans today
Nick Deriso
nderiso@thenewsstar.com

July 16, 2004

Louisiana-Monroe has scheduled a news conference for today to announce its plans for full membership in the Sun Belt Conference.

"The Sun Belt just fits us more appropriately for the athletic direction we want to go," ULM President Jim Cofer said earlier this month. "And the Sun Belt schools are a lot more aspirational in terms of academics."

The news conference is to be held at 2 p.m. in the Conference Center on the seventh floor of the ULM Library.

Louisiana-Monroe has played football in the Sun Belt since 2001. The university also added women's swimming and diving in the SBC, but has continued its membership with the Southland in all other sports since moving up to I-A in 1994.

That split affiliation was questioned directly in late June with the presentation of the Carr Report, a review of ULM athletics prepared and presented by Carr Sports Associates to the University of Louisiana Board of Supervisors. Bill Carr recommended that the Indians move forward in joining the Sun Belt in all sports.

"You bring in an outside expert, he gives you his advice and that was to go to the Sun Belt," Cofer said. "Bill Carr was very clear that being split doesn't work."

Days later, the university notified Sun Belt commissioner Wright Waters of its interest in the move. ULM then sent a letter asking for release from the Southland Conference.

Waters has been receptive: "The conclusion that I-A is a better alternative, and having all sports in one league - particularly as the league takes on a more regional look - is certainly understandable," he said.

The Sun Belt then sent an evaluation team to the campus on July 8. Waters was joined by Middle Tennessee president Dr. Sidney McPhee, Dr. Wayne Andrepont, faculty representative from Louisiana-Lafayette; Rick Mello, Florida International's athletics director; and Kathy Keene, the senior woman administrator from New Orleans.

The reviews were good: "Indeed, we believe that this institution will be in a position to help the Sun Belt Conference take a step to the next level," McPhee said.

SBC presidents were then expected to vote by teleconference on inviting ULM in as a full member.

The move won't come cheap: Sun Belt programs on average spend about $3 million more per year than Southland schools.

The News-Star
July 16, 2004
07-16-2004 08:19 AM
graybeard 2 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Not directly sports related, but an important improvement for the University.

Goodbye Sherrouse
'Building Bash' brings forth future of ULM
Lunzeta Chretien
lchretien@thenewsstar.com

July 16, 2004

Brandi J Thomas/The News-Star
ULM President Jim Cofer presents T-shirts reading "Reclaiming our Campus" to supporters during a ceremony at the demolition site of Sherrouse Hall on campus Thursday.University of Louisiana at Monroe President James Cofer said goodbye to Sherrouse Hall as he bashed the old dormitory's faded yellow bricks with a sledgehammer on Thursday.

Cofer had help from other university and area officials, while a bulldozer plunged into defunct dormitory rooms.

Students and former residents gathered at the "Building Bash," a ceremony that marked not only the end of an era on the college campus but the promise of a $50 million project that will bring modern, apartment-style student housing to ULM.

The new dorms are targeted to open the fall 2005.

"The constructions of new student housing, as important as it is, should not be seen in isolation," Cofer said. "This is part of our larger effort to redesign the face of ULM's campus."

Included in the university facelift will be a campus front on DeSiard Street. Beside original campus buildings, new classrooms will go up, a student "success" center will be in the middle of campus, and Sandel Hall, which houses the administration and bookstore, will be renovated.

The campus will have a centrally located park on the western bank of Bayou DeSiard, with an outdoor amphitheater and recreation areas. The university's student union also will be renovated.

Treina Landrum, director of ULM's recreation services, said the face-lift will add to quality of life on campus.

"It's going to draw more students to live on campus," she said, "because when you live on campus, you're more involved in activities and can participate in student life more."

Evan Earl, a pre-nursing major, who lives off campus plans to move back once the project is complete. He thinks it will draw other students to the campus.

"We have the space and availability," he said. "We have one of the most attractive campuses in Louisiana, and the new dorms will make us more competitive."

Although, Student Government Association President LaTroy Cato will have graduated by the time the changes are made, he's happy the campus is getting a makeover.

"I'll come back as an alumnus and be proud," he said. "And hopefully my children will be able to enjoy the new dorms as well as all the other changes."
07-16-2004 08:26 AM
Advertisement

badgerwolf Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

LouisianaIndian Wrote:ULM to announce Sun Belt plans today
Nick Deriso
nderiso@thenewsstar.com

July 16, 2004

Louisiana-Monroe has scheduled a news conference for today to announce its plans for full membership in the Sun Belt Conference.

"The Sun Belt just fits us more appropriately for the athletic direction we want to go," ULM President Jim Cofer said earlier this month. "And the Sun Belt schools are a lot more aspirational in terms of academics."

The news conference is to be held at 2 p.m. in the Conference Center on the seventh floor of the ULM Library.

Louisiana-Monroe has played football in the Sun Belt since 2001. The university also added women's swimming and diving in the SBC, but has continued its membership with the Southland in all other sports since moving up to I-A in 1994.

That split affiliation was questioned directly in late June with the presentation of the Carr Report, a review of ULM athletics prepared and presented by Carr Sports Associates to the University of Louisiana Board of Supervisors. Bill Carr recommended that the Indians move forward in joining the Sun Belt in all sports.

"You bring in an outside expert, he gives you his advice and that was to go to the Sun Belt," Cofer said. "Bill Carr was very clear that being split doesn't work."

Days later, the university notified Sun Belt commissioner Wright Waters of its interest in the move. ULM then sent a letter asking for release from the Southland Conference.

Waters has been receptive: "The conclusion that I-A is a better alternative, and having all sports in one league - particularly as the league takes on a more regional look - is certainly understandable," he said.

The Sun Belt then sent an evaluation team to the campus on July 8. Waters was joined by Middle Tennessee president Dr. Sidney McPhee, Dr. Wayne Andrepont, faculty representative from Louisiana-Lafayette; Rick Mello, Florida International's athletics director; and Kathy Keene, the senior woman administrator from New Orleans.

The reviews were good: "Indeed, we believe that this institution will be in a position to help the Sun Belt Conference take a step to the next level," McPhee said.

SBC presidents were then expected to vote by teleconference on inviting ULM in as a full member.

The move won't come cheap: Sun Belt programs on average spend about $3 million more per year than Southland schools.

The News-Star
July 16, 2004

Thanks for the update; this is great -- Go ULM!!!
04-cheers
07-16-2004 09:23 AM
graybeard 2 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

It's now official. Membership in all sports in the SBC was offered and accepted this afternoon.
It's finally over, at least for a while.
07-16-2004 05:26 PM
SwampHound Offline
All American

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappies

great news, welcome aboard, officially 04-cheers
07-16-2004 05:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.