Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

"Mud Bowl" game revisited
Bookmark and Share
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
"Mud Bowl" game revisited
BG/UT is a really good game for two teams with losing records.

And a nice crowd. what say 20K for this game????

? about BG's field.

After looking at the 'highlights' from the mud bowl, when will BG do something about their field?

Heck even Eastern has Field Turf... ;-)
11-21-2006 08:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NIUGAHuskie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
Re: "Mud Bowl" game revisited
emu steve Wrote:BG/UT is a really good game for two teams with losing records.

? about BG's field.

After looking at the 'highlights' from the mud bowl, when will BG do something about their field?

Maybe they should get a new field every other game like Ohio State ;-)
11-21-2006 08:30 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

yeah, I wondered about OSU's field
Does anyone know why OSU doesn't have Field Turf or similar.
11-21-2006 08:39 PM
98_BG_GRAD Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: BGSU
Re: yeah, I wondered about OSU's field
emu steve Wrote:Does anyone know why OSU doesn't have Field Turf or similar.

I don't know why OSU does not have field turf, but expect them to have it next year. With the problems they have had with the field this year and Tressel wants field turf, so they can host the State Football Championship games. The problems with OSU's field is likely a result of when they renovated the stadium and lowered the field a couple years ago.

As far as BG, I prefer football to be played on grass and with the weather last week, any field would have been in that condition. I don't know enough about the financial situation in the BG athletic department, so I have no idea if field turf is under consideration.
11-21-2006 10:01 PM
bobcat95 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Re: yeah, I wondered about OSU's field
98_BG_GRAD Wrote:
emu steve Wrote:Does anyone know why OSU doesn't have Field Turf or similar.

I don't know why OSU does not have field turf, but expect them to have it next year. With the problems they have had with the field this year and Tressel wants field turf, so they can host the State Football Championship games. The problems with OSU's field is likely a result of when they renovated the stadium and lowered the field a couple years ago.

As far as BG, I prefer football to be played on grass and with the weather last week, any field would have been in that condition. I don't know enough about the financial situation in the BG athletic department, so I have no idea if field turf is under consideration.

My understanding is most schools switch to field turf for financial reasons (cheaper maintenance)

The mud bowl was fun to watch though. I hope BG keeps the grass, even if it may cost them more money in the long run.
11-22-2006 09:20 AM
exCincy Kid1 Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Miami switched to Field Turf for a number of reasons.....long term lower maintenance was one of them, but flexibility was the main one. Now, Miami can host HS championships and playoffs and the field is always in perfect shape regardless. Also, the field looks great and it sure didn't hurt that a former Miami player and his family donated the funds to put the Fieldturf in.
11-22-2006 09:33 AM
Advertisement

onlinepole Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NU & NIU

Where are the Ohio HS Football Championship games played? Surprising that Ohio St doesn't host them. Champaign is the site for the IHSA football title games. Champaign lost the State Hoops Championship games to Peoria (Bradley University) in large part to the Champaign hotel owners requiring a 2 nite minimum stay and doubling their normal prices.

High Schools and families on limited budgets overtime got sick of paying $400-$600 for 2 nites accomodations and when Peoria completed construction of their civic center (which includes a 13K seat basketball arena) the IHSA moved the Hoops Title games to Peoria. Just one of the reasons why some NIU fans have a negative view of of the U of Illinois.
11-22-2006 10:43 AM
Zip81 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Akron-BGSU-MAC

onlinepole Wrote:Where are the Ohio HS Football Championship games played? .

Finals are played at Massillon High School, which has a stadium that would rate with most in the MAC.

http://www.massillonproud.com/fans/stadium.htm

They take their football seriously down there.
11-22-2006 11:09 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

field turf cost
i believe EMU spent around 700K. That number sticks in my mind for some reason.
11-22-2006 11:10 AM
DevilGrad Offline
All American

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

Zip81 Wrote:
onlinepole Wrote:Where are the Ohio HS Football Championship games played? .

Finals are played at Massillon High School, which has a stadium that would rate with most in the MAC.

http://www.massillonproud.com/fans/stadium.htm

They take their football seriously down there.

Three divisions play in Massilon and the other three play at Fawcett Stadium in Canton, better known as the home of the NFL's Hall of Fame pre-season game.

http://www.ohsaa.org/sports/ft/boys/default.asp
11-22-2006 11:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RedSteve Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

back in the day, OSU did host the Ohio Football Championships, but around the time that grass replaced astroturf in Ohio Stadium was the time when the championships moved to Stark County.

Massilon/Canton now have the games because of the history of high school football there AND because both stadia are within close proximity of each other. I am under the impression that last year the OHSAA looked into bids for other sites to see if there were any alternatives, but they ended up renewing the Massilon/Canton contract.

Also as I recall from conversations on ohio high school boards, Cincinnati tried a bid that would either combine UC and Miami or have all the games at Paul Brown Stadium. However, my recollections is that the Yager/Nippert sites were far enough apart that the OHSAA didn't think it was a workable solution, and that PBS was too big, esp. for the smaller schools.
11-22-2006 12:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
Re: "Mud Bowl" game revisited
emu steve Wrote:BG/UT is a really good game for two teams with losing records.

? about BG's field.

Hopefully we will never see any type of artificial turf. What I would like to see is a better tarp or a better drainage system. You must realize that we had rain for nearly two weeks straight leading up to the game. Without rain BG's field is one of the best around.

I know Toledo's is not field turf but did anyone notice all the players slipping and falling last night on both teams? I noticed the same thing in the Ball State game. At least when it rains at BG you are prepared for a possible slip (our freshman kicker excluded 03-hissyfit )
11-22-2006 03:50 PM
KStud Offline
1st String

I Root For:

I don't know if I would call BG's field best around. But with the precipitation and wear and tear, it is understandable. I expect the Big Ten to all go to field turf soon. More than half are already there. That stuff is updated yearly.

Cost is always the issue. I believe KSU's was also donated. It helped that a donor at the same time donated money for field hockey turf to get them out of Dix Stadium.
11-22-2006 04:39 PM
Karl Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbs

UTs NexTurf was 900k installed five years ago. The slipping thing has been an issue since day one. WMU also installed NexTurf that year and replaced it with FieldTurf before this season. Broncos, help me out...I seem to recall the reason for the change WAS the slipping. True?
11-22-2006 08:11 PM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Karl Wrote:UTs NexTurf was 900k installed five years ago. The slipping thing has been an issue since day one. WMU also installed NexTurf that year and replaced it with FieldTurf before this season. Broncos, help me out...I seem to recall the reason for the change WAS the slipping. True?

I think WMU changed it because of a common injury that many WMU players seemed to be getting. Can't remember what it was called. I think the overall reason they switched to FieldTurf was for safety reasons.
11-22-2006 08:16 PM
rocketfootball Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

epasnoopy Wrote:
Karl Wrote:UTs NexTurf was 900k installed five years ago. The slipping thing has been an issue since day one. WMU also installed NexTurf that year and replaced it with FieldTurf before this season. Broncos, help me out...I seem to recall the reason for the change WAS the slipping. True?

I think WMU changed it because of a common injury that many WMU players seemed to be getting. Can't remember what it was called. I think the overall reason they switched to FieldTurf was for safety reasons.

That's surprising. Even though we have had several injuries this year, the past few seasons with the NeXturf have seen a lot less injuries, especially the severe ones, than we saw with the astroturf stuff we had before.
11-22-2006 09:08 PM
Advertisement

Karl Offline
Super Moderator

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbs

That astroturf was horrible stuff. I can't imagine playing on that junk.
11-22-2006 09:58 PM
MidnightBlue&Gold Offline
1st String

RedSteve Wrote:back in the day, OSU did host the Ohio Football Championships, but around the time that grass replaced astroturf in Ohio Stadium was the time when the championships moved to Stark County.

Massilon/Canton now have the games because of the history of high school football there AND because both stadia are within close proximity of each other. I am under the impression that last year the OHSAA looked into bids for other sites to see if there were any alternatives, but they ended up renewing the Massilon/Canton contract.

Also as I recall from conversations on ohio high school boards, Cincinnati tried a bid that would either combine UC and Miami or have all the games at Paul Brown Stadium. However, my recollections is that the Yager/Nippert sites were far enough apart that the OHSAA didn't think it was a workable solution, and that PBS was too big, esp. for the smaller schools.

Columbus put in a bid for the Championships last year, but it was rejected. They were gonna have like 3 games at the Shoe and 3 games at Dublin Coffman (a local HS), or maybe it was 4 at the Shoe and 2 at the HS. But I think they left it in Stark County b/c if they would've played at the Shoe because 15-20,000 in a 105,000+ stadium=a terrible atmosphere.
11-22-2006 11:04 PM
chipfan Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Quote:That astroturf was horrible stuff. I can't imagine playing on that junk.

It was horrible. Carpet burns which could easily turn into staph infections. And most fields were hard to land on. I am sitting home now, leg up, and sentenced to 6 weeks on crutches recovering from my 2nd Turf Toe rebuild. First one lasted 20 years, and this will last forever because there is no way in hell I am going through another one! 01-lauramac2
11-22-2006 11:05 PM
Zip81 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Akron-BGSU-MAC

OK MAC fans, I need some help here.

Monitoring this board about playing surfaces got me curious. So, I went to the Zips media guide and noticed the following artificial playing surfaces:

Akron: Astroplay
Western: NeXturf
Ohio: Field Turf
Buffalo: Sportexe Momentum
Miami: FieldTurf (one word)

BG had this thing called "natural grass."

I would assume that since each of these names are trade marked that there is a difference between each surface.

My usual way of thinking is that there's one word for all artificial fields: BAD. I've been down on the field in the Rubber Bowl and the stuff really doesn't feel that bad. Miles ahead of the old Astro Turf we used to have in there.

Does anyone know the differences and if one if better than the other?

p.s. Happy Thanksgiving to all!
11-23-2006 09:17 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.