Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

"What's Important Now" (WIN)
nashvillegoldenflash Offline
1st String

I Root For:
"What's Important Now" (WIN)
"What's Important Now" (WIN) should be the manner in which the Flashes approach the rest of the season. WIN is an approach that some coaches take in helping players to be fully present while they are participating in an athletic event. This week, Kent players may become distracted by all the attention they might receive from the media, friends, girlfriends,etc.

To ensure that these distractions will not reduce the player's effectiveness on the field, Coach Martin will need to make sure that his team is focused on the Temple game this Saturday and nothing else.

Go Flashes!!! Beat Temple.
10-01-2006 08:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ohiovarsity Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Kent State

Most definitely...with the wins come the distractions.

It's a big test for this team. Let's hope coach Martin and staff continue to focus on the important things.

Beat Temple!
10-01-2006 09:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
FlashFan Offline
Heisman

No doubt a let down is our greatest risk. After getting up from Miami, BG and especially Akron, it would be easy to look past Temple.
10-01-2006 09:33 PM
Footballnutz Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
Distractions
According to my son between tough practices, weight training and classes they don't have time for distractions. Seems like the Coaching staff has this issue well in hand. They will go to Temple focused and will worry about Toledo AFTER the Temple game. Keep in mind the team is really excited about winning and writing thier page in KSU history.
10-02-2006 03:24 AM
GFlash68 Online
All American

Crappies

This situation reminds me much of the early 70's when after years of losing, we had a team that realized that winning was possible with hard work. We then went on to win the MAC and have 3 to 4 years of great winnings. It feels the same. These players are excited to be winning and the momentum will be difficult to stop.
10-02-2006 11:18 AM
Mongoose777 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
mohawk
Footballnutz,

Gotta love that mohawk on your son.
I don't think my son would look good in one.
You are right about the coaches keeping them busy.
They don't have time for anything else, except for those
that want to party after the games, which I hope its not many.
10-02-2006 03:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Footballnutz Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

I guess he needed a haircut since he has not had one since camp. These guys are really clicking as a team.
10-02-2006 03:49 PM
flashgrad03 Offline
1st String

GFlash68 Wrote:This situation reminds me much of the early 70's when after years of losing, we had a team that realized that winning was possible with hard work. We then went on to win the MAC and have 3 to 4 years of great winnings. It feels the same. These players are excited to be winning and the momentum will be difficult to stop.

Hey GFlash, did you by any chance call for the firing of the Ad or head coach before they started winning in the 70's as well? hahahaha jk!!!

Let the record show that when GFlash comes down hard on a coach, there is almost an immediate turn around!!!!

GO FLASHES!!!
10-02-2006 05:18 PM
GFlash68 Online
All American

Crappies

flashgrad03 Wrote:
GFlash68 Wrote:This situation reminds me much of the early 70's when after years of losing, we had a team that realized that winning was possible with hard work. We then went on to win the MAC and have 3 to 4 years of great winnings. It feels the same. These players are excited to be winning and the momentum will be difficult to stop.

Hey GFlash, did you by any chance call for the firing of the Ad or head coach before they started winning in the 70's as well? hahahaha jk!!!

Let the record show that when GFlash comes down hard on a coach, there is almost an immediate turn around!!!!

GO FLASHES!!!

Hey Jerk,
I did come down hard on the coach after last year. Many others who know just a little about the game did the same. I will still stand by the observation that last year was the most dismal job of coaching that I have seen, even at KSU. Having takened that position, I was one of the ones that did say that progress was taking place at the MINN game. Most others were saying "there we go again". And, after my 35 years of support and misery, I feel that I have some insight that an 03 grad probably does not have.

I may call it as I see it when things go bad, but when changes are made for the good, I will be there very quickly. At my level of past support (and you have no clue what that is) my observation would not be considered one of only supporting a winner.

As for the AD, orchestrating 12 years of the worst FB program in the country would have sent him packing at any place other than Kent. To have to bring an outside consultant in to tell you that FB players need a traing table so they do not drop weight over the course of a season is a joke. When he came, there was a training table, so I assume that he is the one that eliminated it. That is pitiful in a D1 program. BTW, this is only one item that that makes me question our direction. I have many more that certain present and past coaches would like to talk about, but they just can not.

So, not everything is as it appears. If we go on to be the the class of the MAC, and I am pulling hard that we do, that will not make our AD a 12 year genius. He finally pulled the FB slot and come up with a row of cherries.
10-02-2006 05:55 PM
1st String

I Root For:

GFlash68 Wrote:[quote="GFlash68"]As for the AD, orchestrating 12 years of the worst FB program in the country would have sent him packing at any place other than Kent. To have to bring an outside consultant in to tell you that FB players need a training table so they do not drop weight over the course of a season is a joke.

I agree with you on this. Laing Kennedy would have been gone at MTSU for sure because it values football more than any other sport. With the recent success over the last three weeks, I am hoping the University will finally realize how important football is to KSU and will make the necessary steps to keep the program competitive.

With all due respect to those who were convinced that Kent could never be competitive in I-A football, I hope you will re-think your position and recognize that KSU has more potential than you thought it ever had.

I have always believed that KSU belonged in the MAC and and if things continue to go well, the Flashes just might represent the MAC in a bowl game this year. And should that happen, I hope to see you there.

Go Flashes!!!
10-02-2006 07:41 PM
GFlash68 Online
All American

Crappies

NGF
I have always thought that we belonged in the Big East. 04-bow 04-bow
10-02-2006 07:52 PM
Advertisement

1st String

I Root For:

Joining the Big East certainly makes more sense than dropping to I-AA or dropping football altogether. After all, Kent State is the second largest university in the state of Ohio. KSU is not Youngstown State but many times it acts like it is.
10-02-2006 08:03 PM
FlashFan Offline
Heisman

IF we win football, Kent State will have won the "big three" crowns in the MAC in consecutive order: Men's Basketball, Baseball, and Football.
Tough to fire the AD after that string.

Besides, if Laing listened to the concensus on this board, Doug Martin would be long gone by now.
10-02-2006 09:59 PM
flashgrad03 Offline
1st String

GFlash68 Wrote:
flashgrad03 Wrote:

GO FLASHES!!!

Hey Jerk,
I did come down hard on the coach after last year. Many others who know just a little about the game did the same. I will still stand by the observation that last year was the most dismal job of coaching that I have seen, even at KSU. Having takened that position, I was one of the ones that did say that progress was taking place at the MINN game. Most others were saying "there we go again". And, after my 35 years of support and misery, I feel that I have some insight that an 03 grad probably does not have.

I may call it as I see it when things go bad, but when changes are made for the good, I will be there very quickly. At my level of past support (and you have no clue what that is) my observation would not be considered one of only supporting a winner.

As for the AD, orchestrating 12 years of the worst FB program in the country would have sent him packing at any place other than Kent. To have to bring an outside consultant in to tell you that FB players need a traing table so they do not drop weight over the course of a season is a joke. When he came, there was a training table, so I assume that he is the one that eliminated it. That is pitiful in a D1 program. BTW, this is only one item that that makes me question our direction. I have many more that certain present and past coaches would like to talk about, but they just can not.

So, not everything is as it appears. If we go on to be the the class of the MAC, and I am pulling hard that we do, that will not make our AD a 12 year genius. He finally pulled the FB slot and come up with a row of cherries.

Whoa old man, can you take a joke and sniff out some sarcasm????? We are all for the same team here, why don't you calm down a little bit jerk comment is way out of line. geez.
10-03-2006 06:36 AM
Reno79 Offline
Special Teams

GFlash68 Wrote:Hey Jerk,

nashvillegoldenflash Wrote:Let me take this opportunity to encourage everyone to be respectful of each other during this upcoming football season. I know everyone on this board wants to see the Flashes succeed in the athletic arena as well as in the classroom. Our passion for the Flashes makes us less objective than we should be sometimes but we should understand that it is this passion that makes us different from other Kent alumni.
10-03-2006 08:39 AM
GFlash68 Online
All American

Crappies

I am not the one who started the sarcasm. It is obvious that we may have differences of opinions, but I think that you will find that my history is one of only stating opposing viewpoints, not one of personally attacking the poster. I can also be pretty good at posting sarcasm vs sarcasm. You pick the venue and I will play. 04-chairshot
10-03-2006 10:36 AM
Advertisement

FlashFan Offline
Heisman

Geez, I hope now that we can't beat up on the football team we don't start to beat up on each other.
10-03-2006 10:56 AM
Mongoose777 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
success
Lets forget the name calling and move forward.
Lets hope the students and players don't get any of their info
from us on this forum. We need to set a better example amounst ourselves. Its funny that we are so worried about the team handling success, its more the other way around about some of us trying to be able to handle it.
C'Mon Guys, life is to short to for this crap. Lets just enjoy the success
of our very own lil' Flashesl
10-03-2006 11:50 AM
BleedsHuskieRed Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU

Donators

WIN used to be the slogan for my team back in high school. We all had wristbands with WIN on it.
10-03-2006 12:41 PM
Kent 76 Offline
All American

I Root For:

Yeah, and WIN (Whip Inflation Now) buttons were also a brainchild of the Jerry Ford administration. The idea was less than successful.
10-03-2006 03:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.