Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

First 2004 Spring Scrimmage in the Books
SwampHound Offline
All American

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappies

Defense wins main set 30-24, Offense wins total day 36-32

April 3, 2004

BOCA RATON - Florida Atlantic University's football team played its first of three spring scrimmages 4 pm, Saturday with the defense capturing the one versus two (30-24) and the offense capturing the day (36-32).

The scrimmages are run on a modified scoring system where the offense receives points in the traditional fashion and begins play at the 40 and has three downs to move the ball prior to the 20. Once inside the 20 the squad operates under a four down traditional system. The defense is awarded a point for stopping the defense in three downs and three points for forcing a fumble.

The day began with the number one offense and number two defense while the number two offense faced the number one defense.

Jared Allen, who ran a total of 23 plays, started the day under center and ran the first three series before Doug Parker ran it in for a two-yard goal and a 6-2 game score. Allen gave way to Danny Embick who received the bulk of the day's snaps (42). Dane Hansen, who practiced with the 2003 squad but did not use a year of eligibility, rounded out the quarterbacks work with 35 plays. These thee quarterbacks each worked in the two-minute drill along with Steve Oxley.

"Games are huge and scrimmages are number two," said Embick. "The scrimmage is a test and you are evaluated on everthing you do. I certainly felt much more comfortable out there today than I did a year ago. It was fun and the scrimmage gave me a chance to play more freely."

Anthony Crissinger-Hill picked up where he left off as the program's all-time leading receiver with six receptions, 131 yards and one TD. The receivers were credited with 267 yards and two scores. Doug Parker had the second TD reception.

On the ground, the squad used 11 ball carriers and six tallied double digit yard while only two had double-digit carries. Parker led all rushers with 61 yards and one TD. Daveon Barron had 29 yards and the other score.

"I do want to show that the more carries I get the better I run," said Parker. "But we have too many good running backs for me to have a lot of carries. I just need to take advantage of every opportunity I receive."

The game ended with the two minute drill, a time for several of the non-two-deep members to see action. Thomas Parker was one such member. Parker saw his first scrimmage action since suffering a broken arm and jaw last summer. He returned to have a TD reception.

The defense recorded 15 third down stoppages and forced five fumbles in the regulation period. The lone interception was recorded by Willie Hughley who led the 2003 squad and is the program's all-time leader.

The squad will return to the field for practices Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 3:30 pm. The next scrimmage is scheduled for 2 pm, Saturday, April 10 and the "Spring Game" is scheduled for 4 pm April 17 at Lockhart. All practices and scrimmages are free and open to the public.

<a href='http://fausports.ocsn.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/040304aaa.html' target='_blank'>http://fausports.ocsn.com/sports/m-footbl/.../040304aaa.html</a>
04-07-2004 06:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.