I Root For:
Temple recruits former criminal Buckeye
08-10-2006 09:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

templefan1 Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Nice post heading, don't let the facts get in the way of your temple hatred.

Ira has turned his life around and was a JUCO academic all-american and won a California JUCO Student Athlete of the Year award as posted in another thread. He seems like a changed person. He was 18 and made a mistake.
08-10-2006 09:52 AM
connerito Offline
1st String

I Root For:

I don't hate Temple. Just a Philly sports fan who hits the site everyday.

Does the Philly headline differ much from mine ? Is it inaccurate ?

I do see Temple alot like Marshall just w/a losing winning percentage.

"In 2003, Guilford played sparingly as a true freshman backup tailback for the Buckeyes. In May 2004, he was arrested and charged with robbery. He pleaded guilty to misdemeanor assault, and was sentenced to 2 years' probation and 45' days house arrest. He also was suspended from the OSU squad by coach Jim Tressel"

You know how hard is for Jim Tressel to suspend you ?
08-10-2006 09:58 AM
rocketfootball Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

Sometimes giving a guy a 2nd chance, and giving him the opportunity to play football again while on a very short leash, is the best thing for a kid. This could be one of those times. No matter what anyone says, if he is doing great in school now and gets his life turned around and becomes a college graduate with a nice future..........then everything will be worth it.

Good luck to the young man at Temple.
08-10-2006 10:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
templefan1 Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Now that my internship has slowed down a bit I like to chat it up with some MAC fans, is there a problem with that? Legal problems and Criminal are two different things in my book. You just come off as someone who has an agenda to trash anything Temple and Philadelphia related.

The kid made a mistake and golden realized he turned his life around. I trust his judgement
08-10-2006 10:05 AM
Advertisement

connerito Offline
1st String

I Root For:

templefan1 Wrote:Nice post heading, don't let the facts get in the way of your temple hatred.

Ira has turned his life around and was a JUCO academic all-american and won a California JUCO Student Athlete of the Year award as posted in another thread. He seems like a changed person. He was 18 and made a mistake.

I didn't see anything mentioned of this in the article. Hopefully the 2 years probation and house arrest as he pled down to a lesser charge after he committed the robbery will aid his guidance. Hopefully Maurice will get a similar opportunity as he pursues his football career.

Didn't Wil Smith's march inform the area at all ?

One who commits a crime is a criminal (Blacks Law Dictionary).

I actually grew up in the 'burb outside of Philly. Enjoy many parts of the city and worked in the Curtis Center next to Independance Hall. Just see the city w/great potential but being held down by the stupidity of the members that run it and fail to allow the city realize its great potential. When it gets proper leadership and gets cleaned up you will reside in one of the best looking cities in the world. Good luck.
08-10-2006 10:07 AM
MH55 Offline
Banned

I Root For:

Connerito is a flea w/ fleas. He won't be warned because he picks his targets discriminately.
08-10-2006 10:27 AM
Mongoose777 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
2nd chances?
I believe in people getting second chances, but not just 2 short years ago and not at the same league. They should know that if you commit a crime then you should have to pay for that mistake weather its as an 18yr old or 30yr old. Do you think since he has served his time that he no longer has a record? Do you think he can be trusted the same? Would you still feel the same if you were the victim? The answer is absolutely not!! He created that image and now he has to live with it for the rest of his life. In my mind its to soon for someone to be trusted especially since sports are involved. It dosen't mean he cannot change his life and become a better man. Now, I don't have a problem with him at a juco or DIII for his punishment and work his way up and play at a D1 level by his senior season if he shows that he has truly changed. Don't forget he let a lot of his teamates, coaches and fans down, he also put alot of fear in people by his actions while on the streets. Thats why we need more kids with good morals and good character rather than getting kids with silver spoons shoved in their throats just because they are awesome athletes only. It just shows how desperate Temple is at winning. It tells me what the coach is all about, which is win first and talk later. I'm tired of the sorry selfish arogant athlete that usually gets away with everything. What are we teaching our young men these days, are we teaching them to lie, cheat and steal or are we teaching them to stand up and become honorable young men. Kudos to Coach Tressel and Coach Stoops for getting rid of the cancer before it spreads. We need more coaches like them to protect the progams and their schools. People like Maurice Clarett, Rhett (Rat) Bomar and the likes should pay for their mistakes, just like you and I if we were involved in such stupid atrocities.
08-10-2006 11:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Owls Head Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Temple Owls
Re: 2nd chances?
Mongoose777 Wrote:. Thats why we need more kids with good morals and good character rather than getting kids with silver spoons shoved in their throats What are we teaching our young men these days, are we teaching them to lie, cheat and steal or are we teaching them to stand up and become honorable young men.

Sounds like you are describing our Republican lead government...
I guess it all starts from the examples set from our leadership at the Top...

;-)
08-10-2006 11:54 AM
Advertisement

templefan1 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Mongoose777 Wrote:I believe in people getting second chances, but not just 2 short years ago and not at the same league. They should know that if you commit a crime then you should have to pay for that mistake weather its as an 18yr old or 30yr old. Do you think since he has served his time that he no longer has a record? Do you think he can be trusted the same? Would you still feel the same if you were the victim? The answer is absolutely not!! He created that image and now he has to live with it for the rest of his life. In my mind its to soon for someone to be trusted especially since sports are involved. It dosen't mean he cannot change his life and become a better man. Now, I don't have a problem with him at a juco or DIII for his punishment and work his way up and play at a D1 level by his senior season if he shows that he has truly changed. Don't forget he let a lot of his teamates, coaches and fans down, he also put alot of fear in people by his actions while on the streets. Thats why we need more kids with good morals and good character rather than getting kids with silver spoons shoved in their throats jsut because he's just an athlete only. It just shows how desperate Temple is at winning. It tells me what the coach is all about, which is win first and talk later. I'm tired of the sorry selfish arogant athlete that usually gets away with everything. What are we teaching our young men these days, are we teaching them to lie, cheat and steal or are we teaching them to stand up and become honorable young men. People like Maurice Clarett, Rat Bomar and the likes should pay for their mistakes, just like you and me if we were involved in stupid situations.

From what I understand the kid has changed for the better and he did play a season as a JUCO. JUCO California Student Athlete of the year award winner and JUCO academic All-american. AL Golden is a stand-up guy. Last year he brought in 15 recruits who were captains of their high-school teams. He takes character issues seriously. If Ira Guilford was still the same mentally as he was at OSU, Golden would not have taken him.

http://www.3c4a.org/2006%203C4A%20Award%...inners.pdf
08-10-2006 11:58 AM
Mongoose777 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
Owls Head
Owls Head,

What does the president (current regime) have to do with this forum!
So are you one of those guys that makes excues to justify your ego.
If its true, then your an idiot and don't waste our time.
Besides, don't go there about our current gov. or president when Clinton had his no moral issues about his little fling with monica and that "I didn't inhale crap". By the way, I don't look for the gov like you do to raise my family. I look to God for guidance and it starts with the parents. In other words its starts at home.
08-10-2006 12:04 PM
Mongoose777 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
templefan1
templefan1,

Thanks for the link, but I do have a question for you. Why did they just put an incident rather than put exactly what he did. It would have been nice to see him or them acknowledge the situation. He had a golden oportunity to reach out and be a testiment to many kids out there after getting all the accolades. Unfortunatey, I see it as an opportunity wasted.

Finally, I am glad to see that he is heading in the right direction.
08-10-2006 12:30 PM
templefan1 Offline
1st String

I Root For:

I don't know Mongoose. Maybe they wanted to focus on his current accomplishments, or maybe they were lazy.
08-10-2006 12:37 PM
Advertisement

connerito Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Owls Head Wrote:
Mongoose777 Wrote:. Thats why we need more kids with good morals and good character rather than getting kids with silver spoons shoved in their throats What are we teaching our young men these days, are we teaching them to lie, cheat and steal or are we teaching them to stand up and become honorable young men.

Sounds like you are describing our Republican lead government...
I guess it all starts from the examples set from our leadership at the Top...

;-)

I thought it was actually John "Thugman" Chaneys basketball leadership he was describing.

Don't know enough about Golden, although being coached by Joe Paterno is an excellent start and I was a fan of his during his TE days in Happy Valley. At least Bradshaw is looking for character guys unlike the Liacouras days.

Actions have responsibilities and consequences, or at least they should.
08-10-2006 01:19 PM
UBBULLS10 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UB Bulls

Good luck to the kid, I hope he continues his success, and continues to live the right life... that being said, a ton of people have said they will make changes, and have gone back to their old life styles. Hopefully, he wont become another L. Phillips.
08-10-2006 01:37 PM
Owls Head Offline
2nd String

Re: Owls Head
Mongoose777 Wrote:Owls Head,

Besides, don't go there about our current gov. or president when Clinton had his no moral issues about his little fling with monica and that "I didn't inhale crap". By the way, I don't look for the gov like you do to raise my family. I look to God for guidance and it starts with the parents. In other words its starts at home.

I don't know... just something about the words "silver spoon, lie and cheat" made me do a word association... extemporaneous, instinctive, spontaneous thing... and lead me to current events and made me think of the goverment... that is all... Sorry!

peace out Mongoose777

OH
08-10-2006 02:21 PM
connerito Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Re: Owls Head
Owls Head Wrote:
Mongoose777 Wrote:Owls Head,

I don't know... just something about the words "silver spoon, lie and cheat" made me do a word association... extemporaneous, instinctive, spontaneous thing... and lead me to current events and made me think of the goverment... that is all... Sorry!

peace out Mongoose777

OH

OwlsHead,
Is this you ?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/08/0...9867.shtml
08-10-2006 02:30 PM
Owls Head Offline
2nd String

First rule of diplomacy and journalism is always talk to the bad guys!

http://www.evesmag.com/murrow.htm

;-)
08-10-2006 05:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.