How cool is that!
04-28-2006 06:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Vandelay Offline
1st String

I Root For:

I'm very glad it got done!
Getting 3 bowl bids every year, and possibly four (whenever the details of the Birmingham Bowl ) is where we should be as a conference. I like playing a Big East team. In our three bowl bids, two are against BCS leagues (providing they can field enough teams to fill them).
04-28-2006 07:28 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

Vandelay Wrote:I'm very glad it got done!
Getting 3 bowl bids every year, and possibly four (whenever the details of the Birmingham Bowl ) is where we should be as a conference. I like playing a Big East team. In our three bowl bids, two are against BCS leagues (providing they can field enough teams to fill them).

Getting the Toronto bowl done is like winning a new car on the Price is Right.

Getting the bowl done and then learning it will be played on Jan. 6 is like winning the jackpot at the end of the Price is Right. Gravy -- and tasty.

You allude to something interesting. With 6-6 teams eligible if they have a tie in, this greatly increases the chances that a Big Ten will be available for the Motor City Bowl.

The MAC hit the lottery yesterday.
04-28-2006 07:32 AM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:

Schadenfreude Wrote:

Getting the bowl done and then learning it will be played on Jan. 6 is like winning the jackpot at the end of the Price is Right. Gravy -- and tasty.

You allude to something interesting. With 6-6 teams eligible if they have a tie in, this greatly increases the chances that a Big Ten will be available for the Motor City Bowl.

Sweet deal-eh?
04-28-2006 08:11 AM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies

Schadenfreude Wrote:

Until it hits you that you have to pay taxes on all the stuff you won. ;-)
04-28-2006 08:24 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
Isn't Saturday Jan 6 a NFL playoff day?
[quote="Schadenfreude

The MAC hit the lottery yesterday.[/quote]

yep, we hit the lottery but just discovered we had to pay taxes.

There is the devil in the detail here, I think.

Could be a good bowl if MAC #2 vs. BE 5 but will it draw TV fans???
04-28-2006 08:27 AM
Advertisement

rocketfootball Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

After December of this year you have to have a passport to get into Canada, right? Maybe that is partly why the game is January 6th.

Was it last year that a smaller bowl was played in January? I remember it happening once before in the last year or two.

Now, the game is Saturday at Noon. Great time for television and great time for travel. They have set this bowl game up to be a success, there is no doubt about it. I love the January 6th date too. I sure hope Toledo wins the MAC and goes to the MCB, but if not I think Toronto is my 2nd choice!!!
04-28-2006 08:29 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UT__Rockets Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Donators

I think next to the BCS Bowl, this I would think this would be bowl #1. Reason being, there will only be 2 games left in all of college football, the hype up to the National Champ game, playing on Saturday being the only show in the country. Only thing is NFL, but if you remember what the hype is for the NC game, this might be sweet timing. Please don't line us up against BC, UCONN, Syracuse---never mind, I don't want the BE.
04-28-2006 08:31 AM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
Re: Isn't Saturday Jan 6 a NFL playoff day?
emu steve Wrote:[quote="Schadenfreude

yep, we hit the lottery but just discovered we had to pay taxes.

There is the devil in the detail here, I think.

Could be a good bowl if MAC #2 vs. BE 5 but will it draw TV fans???[/quote]

I guess great minds think alike. ;-)
04-28-2006 08:32 AM
rocketfootball Offline
Legend

I think it will draw TV fans. Saturday at Noon is setting it up perfect for TV. 2 days before the NC game, means that fans that are waiting for the NC game can get a relief of their craving by watching this game.

Also, on top of being on ESPN, they are working to get the game aired nationally in Canada. I don't know about other schools, but Toledo always has a couple of Canadien kids on their football team. This could help with recruiting some of those kids.
04-28-2006 08:36 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

But going up against the NFL playoffs
is my worry.

What time do the first round NFL games start? do they start at noon or 4:00.
04-28-2006 09:04 AM
Advertisement

rocketfootball Offline
Legend

Re: But going up against the NFL playoffs
emu steve Wrote:is my worry.

What time do the first round NFL games start? do they start at noon or 4:00.

It's the first weekend of the playoffs, just the wildcard games. Last year the Saturday games were at 4:30 and 8:00pm and the Sunday games were at 1:00 and 4:30pm.

I would imagine it would be the same this year, so the NFL playoff games would not interfere. That is probably also why the International Bowl is at Noon instead of 7 or 8pm.
04-28-2006 09:13 AM
DexterEagle Away
1st String

I Root For: EMU, MSU, SVSU,

rocketfootball Wrote:After December of this year you have to have a passport to get into Canada, right? Maybe that is partly why the game is January 6th.

Actually, you will need a passport to reenter the US! Getting into Canada is no problem. There is talk of the gov't instituting a day pass system. I'm in Canada all the time. My wife is Canadian and I've worked in Windsor in the past. I have never been hasseled going into Canada. Coming home is another matter. My wife has her green card and sails right through US Customs. I always have to prove I'm an US citizen so I carry my passport on every trip.
04-28-2006 09:25 AM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
Re: Holy crap! Toronto bowl news
Schadenfreude Wrote:Check out this report in the Toronto Sun:

http://torontosun.com/Sports/Football/20...8-sun.html

Check the date.

Jan. 6!

Jan. 6!

02-13-banana

How cool is that!

Jan 6 in Toronto? Damn cold if you ask me.

Good deal. Nice press for the MAC in a major N. American city. Canada is a recruiting ground, that should help the MAC too.
04-28-2006 09:27 AM
onlinepole Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NU & NIU

[quote="rocketfootball"]After December of this year you have to have a passport to get into Canada, right? Maybe that is partly why the game is January 6th.

Was it last year that a smaller bowl was played in January? I remember it happening once before in the last year or two.

Now, the game is Saturday at Noon. Great time for television and great time for travel. They have set this bowl game up to be a success, there is no doubt about it. I love the January 6th date too.

As of Jan 1, 07 you will need an American passport to return to the US if you are flying into Canada not if you are driving. Sounds weird but that's what I've read.
04-28-2006 11:04 AM
Papa Lou BSU Offline
1st String

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappies

This is great news...

Toronto supports football. The Argos averaged over 30,000 fans per game last year (drawing over 40K for their season finale). Get one-third of them to come out and support this event, and it'll be a smashing success when combined with fans of the two schools and other curious locals.
04-28-2006 11:36 AM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

Thanks, RocketFootball
Should I have thought that ESPN would have put a new bowl up against the NFL???

Those dudes at ESPN are very, very savvy.

That noon time slot is great. First FB game of the day.

I'll watch the Toronto Bowl and the FIRST NFL game. ;-)
04-28-2006 12:56 PM
NMBobcat Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

DexterEagle Wrote:
rocketfootball Wrote:After December of this year you have to have a passport to get into Canada, right? Maybe that is partly why the game is January 6th.

Actually, you will need a passport to reenter the US! Getting into Canada is no problem. There is talk of the gov't instituting a day pass system. I'm in Canada all the time. My wife is Canadian and I've worked in Windsor in the past. I have never been hasseled going into Canada. Coming home is another matter. My wife has her green card and sails right through US Customs. I always have to prove I'm an US citizen so I carry my passport on every trip.

The problem is for those who don't have a passport...they will have to plan ahead (difficult since no one will know who's in the Bowl until early December) and shell out $95 (or whatever the current fee is). Otherwise, a passport, for practical purposes, just another form of ID. I don't see why anyone would object to carrying it with them to Canada (unless of course he doesn't have one).
04-28-2006 01:10 PM
rocketfootball Offline
Legend

NMBobcat Wrote:
DexterEagle Wrote:

The problem is for those who don't have a passport...they will have to plan ahead (difficult since no one will know who's in the Bowl until early December) and shell out $95 (or whatever the current fee is). Otherwise, a passport, for practical purposes, just another form of ID. I don't see why anyone would object to carrying it with them to Canada (unless of course he doesn't have one).

A passport is good for either 10 years or 15 years though. $100 isn't that bad when you consider how long it is good for and it can be used when travelling to any country.
04-28-2006 01:13 PM
NIU70 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Take a guess

onlinepole Wrote:[quote="rocketfootball"]

As of Jan 1, 07 you will need an American passport to return to the US if you are flying into Canada not if you are driving. Sounds weird but that's what I've read.

Really? If NIU plays in this game, I intend to fly to Buffalo and drive into Canada. I have a passport, but my wife doesn't. If they make her stay in Canada, oh well.
04-28-2006 01:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.