Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Chaney to retire from Temple
Bookmark and Share
DexterEagle Away
1st String

I Root For: EMU, MSU, SVSU,
OT: Chaney to retire from Temple
ESPN is reporting that John Chaney will retire as Temple basketball coach at the end of the season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?sect...id=2366361

Does this make it more likely that Temple becomes an all sports member of the MAC?
03-13-2006 09:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UT__Rockets Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Donators

How many times have I told you guys that this is how it's gonna go. The next thing you'll see is Temple permantely on the FB schedule and Temple will play EVERY MAC team once, I believe next year.
03-13-2006 09:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HuronDave Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The MAC
DonatorsCrappiesCrappies

Let the speculation begin! 05-stirthepot
03-13-2006 09:43 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
praytothedirgethemost Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
We welcome you to MAC-in Land
Dear Temple Owls Basketball team,

We officially welcome you to the MAC. We will be a better conference together.

By the way, good luck against Akron - the first of many contests with MAC schools.
03-13-2006 09:56 AM
Advertisement

RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies

Oh darn. I saw Cheney and retirement and got my hopes up. They were quickly dashed.

Seriously, I do think this is the beginning of getting Temple BB to the MAC.

As for wishing Temple luck, I hope they are beaten badly by Akron just to prove that the conference is legit. A close Akron win would be fine but to shut the arrogant Temple bball fans up, a fairly large margin of victory.
03-13-2006 10:20 AM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

It's a very tough matchup for Akron. I bet Vegas makes the Owls favorites by 5+.
03-13-2006 10:38 AM
Hawley Ghost Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Chaney is not coaching against Akron (his wife is hospitalized). You may very well get a flat and dispirited Temple squad...and the called for big win.
03-13-2006 01:32 PM
Advertisement

RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies

Hawley Ghost Wrote:Chaney is not coaching against Akron (his wife is hospitalized). You may very well get a flat and dispirited Temple squad...and the called for big win.

lmfao They are already making excuses as to why they might lose. That is typical of the Big boys. I guess you can take the "Big Boys" out of a school but you can't take it out of their fans. ;-)
03-13-2006 01:37 PM
Hawley Ghost Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Some MAC fans (yes, you Robert) are pathetic snivelers. Sorry that you only get one bid each year. It's really not our fault.

We lost a legend today - forgive us if our attention is somewhere other than the not invited tournament.
03-13-2006 02:23 PM
akronzip Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ohio state

Hawley Ghost Wrote:We lost a legend today - forgive us if our attention is somewhere other than the not invited tournament.

Man I hope your team's attention is somewhere else too. 05-mafia
03-13-2006 02:43 PM
Advertisement

Vandelay Offline
1st String

I Root For:

I hope Temple comes in now as a full sports member!
With or without Chaney, their b-ball program is always solid.
Anyone who knows anything about Phila high school basketball knows there is tremendous talent in that city - lots of solid recruiting potential for MAC schools similiar to Chicago & Detroit
03-13-2006 02:50 PM
JSF Offline
Rich, Good Looking, Has a Rapist Wit

I Root For: World Peace

Great. Now Temple will be a thoroughly medicore team when they join the MAC.
03-13-2006 08:06 PM
OUBOBCATJOHN Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ohio Bobcats

Temple move to the MAC in hoops would help us accept Temple football with open arms. I think Kent State going farther than GW or Xavier would be a victory for the MAC and signal that Temple's future is in the MAC.

Temple can't be pleased by the non-conference schedule of GW. You go 18-0 in the A-10 then get an 8 seed. Not an endorsement of the A-10. With Football, Temple can try to become like Miami and be good at both football and basketball.

Adding Temple and Youngstown State would balance the MAC out and cut down travel expenses. Add CSU and Detroit for hoops and you have a 16 team mid-major super conference that is very easy travel wise.

Kent State
Miami
Ohio
Temple
Buffalo
Akron
Youngstown State
Cleveland State (hoops)

BGSU
Toledo
CMU
NIU
Ball State
EMU
WMU
Detroit (hoops)

The rivalries would be intense with this set up. Temple would be very strong in both football and basketball with this setup.
03-13-2006 10:23 PM
Advertisement

bobcat_backer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: OHIO

i don't think the MAC needs to expand just for expansion's sake. Adding teams like YSU, Cleveland State, and Detroit does nothing to improve our image nationally. I'm a little more lukewarm than are my MAC brothers to the idea of adding Temple for all sports, but at least that would be a better move than the other three teams that were mentioned in the previous e-mail.
03-13-2006 10:30 PM
Okie Chippewa Offline
All American

I Root For: The MAC

Add Temple and Western Kentucky. THAT would grab some attention in Hoopdom!
03-13-2006 10:52 PM
Endzone2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Miami Redhawks

Temple seems like the new nemesis of Miami-Ohio to me. Temple seems like the school that will replace Marshall.

1. Bunch of thugs lead by a thug--although I hope he's really out of there for real this time.

2. Don't care about academics--Chaney was the one who sued the NCAA when they tried to raise academic standards from a ridiculous 820 on the SAT.

3. They were actually pretty good in basketball and Marshall was good in football.

We even have a Temple poster talking about how we should be sympathetic towards Chaney because of his sick wife. I do feel sympathy for her--not for him. Kind of reminds me about how the Marshall plane crash was always brought up every year by the Herd faithful and how we all weren't sympathetic enough.

So why did the MAC bring in another school that seems to be so simliar to Marshall? Seems like a desperate move to me.

Of course I'm overstating statement #1. I know that not everybody on Marshall's football team or Temples basketball team is a thug.
03-13-2006 11:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.