Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Coles a lousy coach? (read post below b/f voting)
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Is Charle Coles A Good Coach Or Should Miami Can Him?
Bookmark and Share
mollautt Offline
1st String

I Root For: Miami RedHawks
Is Charle Coles A Good Coach Or Should Miami Can Him?
=>Below is my response in a thread on Hawktalk. Miami's league performance under Charlie Coles has been slightly better than North Carolina's ACC performance.

http://www.miamihawktalk.com/discussion/...ht=#281791

Kicks'96 Wrote:DevilGrad, would (Charlie Cole's) coaching performance be acceptable at DBR?

=>Probally would actually. I would think any ACC fan would be happy with their team's performance if their team has consistently been one of the top two in the league. The difference btw the MAC and the ACC is this: A comparable ACC record to Miami's MAC record would equal NCAA bids every year but 1 (Miami finished 8-10 in 2000 which in the ACC world = NIT). I have not calculated the numbers (except for UNC), but I am willing to bet no other ACC team has a better conference winning % than Miami's MAC winning % except for Duke.

COMPARE UNC TO MIAMI:

Miami's MAC record in Coles era (last 10 years): 113-67 (62.78%)
UNC ACC record in Coles era (last 10 years): 102-58 (63.75%)

->less than 1% difference. Basically dead even.

OK, sure, Coles won with Herb's players. Fine, let's look at the two since the last of Herb's players left.

Miami's MAC record since the last of Herb's players left (last 6 years): 68-40 (62.96%)
UNC ACC record since the last of Herb's players left (last 6 years): 57-39 (59.38%)

->Almost a 3.5% edge to Miami during a time when UNC had a team strong enough to win the NCAA tourney.

People still consider UNC one of the elite national powers. I would think UNC has a greater edge in recruiting over other ACC schools (except Duke) than Miami does over other MAC schools.

BTW, UNC has not won the ACC tourney since 1998.

MAC OVER THE CHARLIE COLES YEARS

A. TOTAL MAC WINS (1996-97 through 2005-06)
1. Kent 123-56 (68.33%)
2. Miami 113-67 (62.78%)
3. Toledo 101-79 (56.11%)
4. BSU 100-80 (55.56%)
5. BUGS 99-81 (55%)
6. WMU 98-82 (54.44%)
7. Ohio U. 97-83 (53.89%)
-- Akron 97-83 (53.89 %)
9. Marshall 69-71 (47.9%)
10. NIU 62-100 (38.27%)
11. EMU 64-116 (35.56%)
12. CMU 56-124 (31.11%)
13. Buffalo 44-100 (30.56%)

[b]B. TOTAL MAC WINS OVER LAST 6 SEASONS (AKA since all of Herb
03-10-2006 01:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dynovinyl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU

If he's fired, I'd hire him..............for the entertainment alone.
03-10-2006 03:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bobcat_backer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: OHIO

Charlie is a good coach and an asset to Miami and to the MAC. He's enigmatic, savvy, and just a downright character! He's a talented and intelligent coach who consistently brings out the best in his players. You can look at several of Miami's seasons under Charlie when the prognosticators predicited doom and gloom for Miami and yet Coles always has them ready to play and compete, especially defensively.

We just have Miami's number, especially in the MAC tournament; it's not Charlie's fault. Miami just needs to avoid us in the post-season and they'd be fine! lol
03-10-2006 04:02 PM
Advertisement

msopher Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Besides Wally, the first person I associate Miami basketball with is Charlie Coles. He is the Dean of MAC coaches and I think he deserves to stay there as long as he wants.
03-10-2006 04:29 PM
LongtimeFan Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Charlie Coles gets as much out of his talent as any coach in the league. And he is the best ambassador for MAC basketball there is. Dump Charlie Coles? Don't be ridiculous. That would be worse than dumping Santa Claus because he brought you a top when what you really wanted was a jump rope.
03-11-2006 01:29 PM
Doc KSU Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Kent State

His winning percentage speaks for itself. He must be doing something right. I am tired of Ohio fans (residents of that state) deriding coaches for not winning " the big one". The question is : are they getting mileage out of their talent? I do not think his talent is head and shoulders above the MAC; so his record speaks for itself (Think Schottenheimer and the Browns) 01-wingedeagle
03-11-2006 05:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.