Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Football Stadium
Central Florida Uknighted Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

I've heard that FAU has been considering an on campus football/basketball Dome. Is that still in the works. Also, what is the support like for the University's athletics in Boca. Are there any residents that have come forward against FAU building an on campus dome???
07-22-2004 02:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

kalca Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Central Florida Uknighted Wrote:I've heard that FAU has been considering an on campus football/basketball Dome.  Is that still in the works.

Also, what is the support like for the University's athletics in Boca. 
Are there any residents that have come forward against FAU building an on campus dome???
The dome talks have shifted a little because of the quick entry into the SunBelt and D1-A status. The last I've heard about it the general talks were to just build an open air 20+ stadium.
The support is great to a certain extent. The City has been fighting the small stuff for years now. They complain about FAU's Glades Road entrance traffic but don't want the inconvience of correcting the problem!
We have been trying to get the off ramp built for years now. The architects laid out a beautiful plan for the I-95 direct- to- the- campus, plan. Some vetoed the plan and it bounced back and forth. It is also my understanding that the on campus dome have been personally contested by some.

Boca Raton is a small town of retired and well conected folks with financial pull. The strange thing is that when Lt Governor Frank Brogan resigned from office and became the President of FAU, things took on a life of their own. The exit ramp is no longer a problem and they even have an area near Yamato Road(1 mile north of campus) that they're looking at.
The dome is back on the discussion board too. Apparently some backers feel that they would rather bite the bullet and build the mulit-purpose dome instead of downsizing to the football only facility.
There are a few who are closer to this situation who lives in the area and may be able to give more detailed info than I can.

They still say by 2006/07 something concrete should be on campus. If Coach Schnell is involved with the backing of Prez Brogan, it will happen. The fundraisers and donors are back full force after "Corvette Gate" a year ago.
07-22-2004 07:19 PM
The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Why exactly is a domed stadium needed? It's Florida- we don't get snow flurrys!

I think it's a good idea- I'll just be very suprised if this actually goes through. The cost of the dome will be staggering, and honestly I don't know if FAU can commit into something that big with such a small fan base right now.

I think the best bet would be a 25-30K stadium.

UCF is in the works of building a totally new, upgraded athletic village that will cost around 280 million dollars. It includes 2 parking garages, 3-7 story dorm towers, a 10,000 seat state of the art basketball arena, expanding the baseball stadium, building a softball stadium, expanding the athletic center, building a retail and restaraunt sqaure for fans, and finally building a nice alumni house.

Granted, it will take considerable time to finish.
07-26-2004 09:24 PM
kalca Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

The Knight Time Wrote:Why exactly is a domed stadium needed? It's Florida- we don't get snow flurrys!

I think it's a good idea- I'll just be very suprised if this actually goes through. The cost of the dome will be staggering, and honestly I don't know if FAU can commit into something that big with such a small fan base right now.

I think the best bet would be a 25-30K stadium.

UCF is in the works of building a totally new, upgraded athletic village that will cost around 280 million dollars. It includes 2 parking garages, 3-7 story dorm towers, a 10,000 seat state of the art basketball arena, expanding the baseball stadium, building a softball stadium, expanding the athletic center, building a retail and restaraunt sqaure for fans, and finally building a nice alumni house.

Granted, it will take considerable time to finish.
The building is a multi purpose arena. Besides, we've all lost days due to severe thunderstorms during football season. A little A/C during those 90 degree 1PM days ain't too bad either.

Good luck with your athletic village. Would you have pictured it 8 years ago?

FAU's Dome Still Full Speed Ahead!!!

Read On:
<a href='http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040726/NEWS/407260387/1002/SPORTS' target='_blank'>http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...387/1002/SPORTS</a>
07-26-2004 10:12 PM
Advertisement

The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Does Howard realize that FAU has not played a single game in the Sun Belt yet?

No offense- but his comments are seriously arrogant and way out of touch. I mean, the guy is talking about winning national titles already, yet FAU has beat 1 D1 team in their history.

I guarentee you're not going to win any friends in the Sun Belt talking like that.
07-26-2004 10:18 PM
kalca Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

I couldn't agree more. That comment took me by surprise too. Won't be the last time he has stun the audience with his candor.

We need to feel confident on the field without alienating our new friends in the Sun Belt.
07-27-2004 11:37 AM
ARod Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

The Knight Time Wrote:Does Howard realize that FAU has not played a single game in the Sun Belt yet?

No offense- but his comments are seriously arrogant and way out of touch. I mean, the guy is talking about winning national titles already, yet FAU has beat 1 D1 team in their history.

I guarentee you're not going to win any friends in the Sun Belt talking like that.
Sounds to me like UCF is a bit jealous. :crying: 03-wink This guy (Coach Schnellenberger) is a legend. Am I the only one who realizes this? 03-confused
This is the same man that lead UM to their first championship. He turned Louisville around. Does that mean anything to you, UCF fans. Don't you remember that you guys almost were beat by this "I-AA" team last year?
And don't sleep on FIU. You may think that we play in a high school stadium, but there is a reason for that. We are just 3 years old!!!
We're both still young and up and coming, but before long FIU and FAU will surpass you guys (UCF and USF) as the two other football powers in the state of Florida.
And then there were 5...............
03-cool
07-27-2004 11:59 AM
Advertisement

Central Florida Uknighted Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Don King might be the force behind this domed stadium. I hope it does happen. FAU has done a phenomenal job with their football program so far. I am one of those fans that could care less about FSU, UF and Miami. I want UCF, FAU, FIU and USF to all develop respectable football programs.
07-27-2004 12:26 PM
kalca Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

ARod Wrote:
The Knight Time Wrote:Does Howard realize that FAU has not played a single game in the Sun Belt yet?&nbsp;

No offense- but his comments are seriously arrogant and way out of touch.&nbsp; I mean, the guy is talking about winning national titles already, yet FAU has beat 1 D1 team in their history.

Sounds to me like UCF is a bit jealous. :crying: 03-wink This guy (Coach Schnellenberger) is a legend. Am I the only one who realizes this? 03-confused
This is the same man that lead UM to their first championship. He turned Louisville around. Does that mean anything to you, UCF fans. Don't you remember that you guys almost were beat by this "I-AA" team last year?
And don't sleep on FIU. You may think that we play in a high school stadium, but there is a reason for that. We are just 3 years old!!!
We're both still young and up and coming, but before long FIU and FAU will surpass you guys (UCF and USF) as the two other football powers in the state of Florida.
03-cool
You're right ARod. We almost had two D1-A wins last year. I was only agreeing that the statement may leave a few people ticked off. Some people still can't handle his in your face approach.
Knight Time may call it arrogance. Some would call it confidence.

I was not taking away from FAU's on field accomplishments. Coach Schnelly has been more than a man of his words in the past regarding his plans for the future.

FIU and FAU will be around a long time as a pain in some of the Florida team's rear ends!
If we don't believe that than we shouldn't be playing!
07-27-2004 01:24 PM
The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

ARod Wrote:
The Knight Time Wrote:Does Howard realize that FAU has not played a single game in the Sun Belt yet?&nbsp;

No offense- but his comments are seriously arrogant and way out of touch.&nbsp; I mean, the guy is talking about winning national titles already, yet FAU has beat 1 D1 team in their history.

03-cool
You're right.

I am incredibly jealous we're not playing in the Sun Belt :laugh:

In all seriousness, I'm not jealous. I just found it interesting that this guy is ALREADY running his mouth about a conference that he has done nothing in yet. I have a feeling that UNT or even Troy may use that quote to beat down on FAU when they play them.

BTW- Almost doesn't cut it. UCF *almost* beat about 5 historic BCS teams where it came down to that last minute. But, we lost, so it means nothing.
07-27-2004 01:59 PM
Advertisement

kalca Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

The Knight Time Wrote:I am incredibly jealous we're not playing in the Sun BeltĀ  :laugh:
Are you really kidding? I've been surfing your UCF board for MANY years now. Seems in the general line of thought.

Near Victory? You guys were the ones who wanted Kruz head after the FAU near win! It must have counted for something in Orlando.
07-27-2004 03:20 PM
The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

kalca Wrote:
The Knight Time Wrote:I am incredibly jealous we're not playing in the Sun BeltĀ  :laugh:
Are you really kidding? I've been surfing your UCF board for MANY years now. Seems in the general line of thought.

Near Victory? You guys were the ones who wanted Kruz head after the FAU near win! It must have counted for something in Orlando.
FAU's loss last year was a bad sign when it happened, but we shrugged it off and braced for the season. Little did we know that our team was crumbling, the coaching staff was doing NOTHING, and our players were not playing near their potential.

In all honesty, if FAU was going to beat us, last year was their best shot. FAU had a good year, and we had our worst year in D1 history.

I expect that will change though, since Mr. O'Leary is now at the helm.

Having a horrible season sucked, but it may have worked out better in the long run. We now have arguably the 2nd best coach in the state, behind Bowden.
07-27-2004 05:11 PM
kalca Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

We will still be competitive in the near future when the rest of the schollys kick in.

O'Leary have a tough task ahead of him at UCF. Maybe everyone at UCF will give him a chance at rebuilding and restocking the team. Moffit is going to be a good one.
07-27-2004 07:36 PM
Advertisement

The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

kalca Wrote:We will still be competitive in the near future when the rest of the schollys kick in.

O'Leary have a tough task ahead of him at UCF. Maybe everyone at UCF will give him a chance at rebuilding and restocking the team. Moffit is going to be a good one.
I don't know if a full rebuilding cycle is needed. We have alot of talent, just most of it was unharnessed and undisciplined last year.
07-27-2004 07:48 PM
BMarkey Offline
1st String

I Root For: Troy

I live not far from FAU and believe a domed stadium is not necessary.

Re: the rain ... FAU is near the coast, east of I-95. Thunderstorms there are much more infrequent than out west (every day), or in Orlando. I'll give you August and September, but October and November are pretty dry overall.

It will have to be air-conditioned and would really help the basketball and other programs. Could baseball play in there?

I have read nothing about this in the South Florida media. A donation of $30 million would be a huge story. The story that resulted in this thread came from Lakeland. Odd.

FAU would be better served with a nice 30,000-seat outdoor stadium (similar to Movie Gallery in Troy, which was built with a relatively small budget).

See:

<a href='http://www.palmswestpress.com/images/TSU_Foot_09_27_03/TSU_Foot_09_27_03.htm' target='_blank'>Movie Gallery Stadium</a>

The weather would be great for football and TV shots in October and November.

Palm Beach County (1.5 million people) needs a major outdoor stadium for everything from major high school games to the Sunshine Games, Olympic trials and training, equestrian (major sport here) events and even a small (but growing) college bowl game. FAU should partner with the Palm Beach County school district and county commission to build a nice, comfortable outdoor stadium a little north of FAU, closer to West Palm Beach.

Finally, I hope Howard's comment were misquoted. I know it might be a longshot, but why wouldn't a SunBelt, Mac, new BigEast, C-USA or other team be considered for a title if it was undefeated and knocked off a few major programs in one year?
08-01-2004 03:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.