Bookmark and Share
Herd Fan 4-Life Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall

Donators

Herd QB ready for fresh start

By Brad Myers, The Parthenon
August 10, 2004
(U-WIRE) DETROIT -- Starting Marshall quarterback Stan Hill has high hopes for this year's Thundering Herd football team.

The senior is looking to bounce back from last year's injury-filled season that kept him on the sideline for much of the season. Marshall finished the season 8-4, a disappointing season by Herd standards.

"If you go 8-4 and it's a letdown, that says something," Hill said. "But we lost to some big-time teams. We had some key injuries last year on offense and defense, and I think it really affected our football team."

Hill's knee injury only allowed him to play in six games last season, but the Herd quarterback still passed for 1,767 yards and 15 touchdowns. Hill said he worked hard in the offseason to get better for the upcoming season.

"I guess I did kind of fall out of the spotlight because I only played in selected games last year," Hill said. "I think I've got a lot better this summer. I really worked on my strength, my leg and my mind. I've watched a lot of film, and matured a lot as a quarterback."

The season ahead won't be any easier for Hill and the Herd. In a three-week span, Marshall will face two nationally ranked teams in Ohio State, Georgia and then defending Mid-American Conference champions Miami of Ohio. Playing top 10 teams isn't anything new for the Herd. Marshall defeated sixth-ranked Kansas State 27-20 last year in Kansas.

"We have a real tough schedule in September," Hill said. "We're going to have to come ready to play, but I think we'll be fine."

Playing top 10 teams isn't anything new for the Herd. Marshall defeated sixth-ranked Kansas State 27-20 last year in Kansas. Hill's injury forced him to miss that game, but he knows wins over ranked opponents will let other teams see that the Herd is for real.

"It just shows teams like Ohio State and Georgia that we can play with them," Hill said.

This is the final season for the Herd in the MAC, and Hill said it is because of this that this year's team has a bull's-eye on its back.

"With us leaving the MAC, they don't want us to go out with a MAC championship because we will have bragging rights forever," Hill said. "It's just a given that every team is gunning for us. They want what we have; they want the rings."

This year, the talk of the team seems to be the defense, but that doesn't mean the Herd won't have any offense. Returning with Hill this season will be senior running back Earl Charles, who rushed for more than 1,000 yards last season, and senior standout wide receiver Josh Davis. Hill said he just has to get the ball to either one of them and let them do the rest.

"My job is to get the ball to Josh Davis and to Earl [Charles] and let them make the plays," Hill said.

Hill said that he and Davis have a connection and it helps knowing Davis is his go-to guy.

"It's a real joy for me to have a receiver like that to throw to," Hill said. "We have a real good connection, and we feed off each other."

The pressure might be more for Hill because he is following in the footsteps of former Herd quarterbacks Chad Pennington and Byron Leftwich, but Hill said he just plays his style of football.

"I'm definitely not Chad and I'm definitely not Byron," Hill said. "We all have totally different playing styles. You can't ever go out there and play like them. You have to play your own ball and try to learn what they taught you."

Hill said the team will build on last season's big games and will look to the upcoming season with big expectations.

"I don't think anyone is going to overlook us this year, and we're going to be a force to reckon with," Hill said.

<a href='http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=uwire-herdqbreadyforfreshstart&prov=uwire&type=lgns' target='_blank'>http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=uw...uwire&type=lgns</a>
08-11-2004 01:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

The only questions for Hill is whether he goes down for half a season or a whole one, and whether it is in the first half or the second half of the OSU game. :chair:
08-11-2004 05:09 AM
Quote this message in a reply
wsherdfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: The HERD!!

Odd: You should be in Webster's as the primary definition of the word
JERK. Wishful thinking on your part?? Typical. There is nothing in that story that would cause the normal sports fan to start flamimg. Get some help, buddy.

Go HERD!!!
08-11-2004 06:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
redskins4ever Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

So the AA meetings are working? Clean and Sober for how many days?
08-11-2004 06:53 AM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

wsherdfan Wrote:Odd: You should be in Webster's as the primary definition of the word
JERK. Wishful thinking on your part?? Typical. There is nothing in that story that would cause the normal sports fan to start flamimg. Get some help, buddy.

Go HERD!!!
Get a clue, greenie...negative observations regarding your team that are factually based or have a historical connection are not "flames" just because your sensitive little feelings are bothered by them. Hill has been fragile and OSU has a huge, smothering D. If his past is any indication, he won't make it to the MAC season.
08-11-2004 08:38 AM
Herd Swimming Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: T & A

Don't see how one injury in a career can classify a kid as fragile, but OK.

I usually look at a kid who plays on a busted knee as tough as nails, even if he did hurt it to the point that he couldn't play anymore.

Maybe it was the booze. Who knows. But blowing out a knee doesn't have anything to do with frailty. It can happen to anyone at any time.

But I wouldn't expect you to understand that. 03-nutkick
08-11-2004 09:03 AM
Advertisement

Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Hill missed 6 non-consecutive games last season. But, I wouldn't expect you to undertand that. 03-lol
08-11-2004 09:27 AM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Btw, I usually look at someone who injures themself while celebrating a play as both fragile and a dumb***.
08-11-2004 09:28 AM
ThunderStruck Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Let's face it....Oddball is more obsessed with Marshall than Marshall Fans' themselves. I imagine what he does at night thinking about Marshall! :rofl:
08-11-2004 09:35 AM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

ThunderStruck Wrote:Let's face it....Oddball is more obsessed with Marshall than Marshall Fans' themselves. I imagine what he does at night thinking about Marshall! :rofl:
Is that the new, officially-sanctioned Hurd faithful tactic? When you can't refute the facts, imagine me masturbating? NICE! :wave:
08-11-2004 09:43 AM
sportsphantom1 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Quote:Btw, I usually look at someone who injures themself while celebrating a play as both fragile and a dumb***

Hill hurt his knee on a scramble play in the first quarter when he was diving for extra yardarge in that Tennessee game. He aggravated that injury on the celebration later on in the game but the fact is the injury came on the scramble play in the first quarter
08-11-2004 10:58 AM
Advertisement

Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

IF that is true, then he's doubly stupid for trying to chest bump someone when he's already injured. Glad he wears green.
08-11-2004 11:08 AM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Oddball Wrote:When you can't refute the facts, imagine me masturbating? NICE! :wave:
03-puke 03-puke 03-puke
08-11-2004 11:11 AM
HuskieDan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

Stan "Gramatica" Hill

03-lol
08-11-2004 12:07 PM
elpalito Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

So...will Miami be gunning for Marshall..or will Marshall be gunning for Miami...

after all..Miami wants what Marshall has..championship rings... oh..wait...
08-11-2004 03:36 PM
ThunderStruck Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

I think that the Marshall-Miami Game this year will be one of the best games in their history. Most Marshall Fans do not like the Redhawks...period. I think that Huntington will be rockin' for that game. Miami smacked us last year...and the sting is still around. Enjoy the feeling that you've had for the last year....because by the end of September...it will be back to that usual feeling for you Redhawk Fans! :D
08-11-2004 07:45 PM
Advertisement

IULurker Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

ThunderStruck Wrote:Miami smacked us last year...and the sting is still around.&nbsp;
You know what they say about turning the other cheek... 03-wink
08-12-2004 12:10 PM
ThunderStruck Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

"You know what they say about turning the other cheek... "

Nobody has every heard that phrase in Huntington, so it's not applicable! :D
08-12-2004 06:12 PM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

ThunderStruck Wrote:"You know what they say about turning the other cheek... "

Nobody has every heard that phrase in Huntington, so it's not applicable! :D
Better learn it, you're going to need both cheeks this season. :chair:
08-13-2004 06:18 AM
Okie Chippewa Offline
All American

I Root For: The MAC

We interrupt your regularly scheduled programming for some unadulterated facts:

Any OOC wins by Marshall is year will forever be in the record books as a member of the MAC.

If Marshall wins a league title this year, it will be as a member of the MAC.

Virtually all of Marshall's starters this year were recruited knowing they would be playing in the MAC.

Bottom line: All achievements (or lack thereof) by Marshall this year will be as a member of the MAC.

We now return you to the joust-fest between Marshall-lovers and Marshall-haters.
08-13-2004 08:25 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.