Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Ten uninformed thoughts
Bookmark and Share
MAKO Offline
1st String

I Root For:

1. What a great college football game. Two teams dueled it out for 60 minutes. I had posted on the Miami HawkTalk board that, if Byron didn't start, this would be a game for the ages. It's one of the only correct predictions I have ever made.

2. Hoeppner needs to recruit some receivers and then recruit an offensive coordinator that understands that not all passes are required to be either bombs or 5 yard dump offs.

3. Hoeppner needs to quit reading internet bulletin boards. If a post on the freaking internet for god's sake got inside either his head or the head of any of Miami's players or coaches, they need to do some serious reassessment. Suggestion. Spend that time watching game film instead. Let me say this with some emphasis. IT'S THE FREAKIN INTERNET. YOU CAN FIND ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING FROM THE RIDICULOUS TO THE SUBLIME ON HERE BUT YOU CAN'T BELIEVE A DAMN THING. Personally, I learned not to believe everything I read on the internet when I discovered, much to my dismay, and despite the subject line in the spammed email, that hot 18 year old girls really were NOT horny for my fat, 40 year old, balding, bifocal wearing, sorry ass.

4. Both teams left it all on the field. I never saw any quit from either the Miami players or the Marshall players. Two times, Miami is down by double digits. Two times, they come back. Marshall's star player is on crutches and watching from the bench as his backup makes his first college start. Simply as a fan of college football, this was a tremendous game. I actually made that comment to my wife and a friend just after Marshall turned the ball over with about 2:30 left in the game. I felt privileged to watch two very good football teams play hard every single down for an entire game. It was a beautiful thing and I offer my heartfelt congratulations to the players of both teams for playing their hearts out and my thanks for a wonderfully entertaining evening. It's still one of the best games I have ever been privileged to witness - regardless of the outcome.

5. Miami was the victim of some truly atrocious play calling. Playing not to lose will bite you in the behind most of the time. I feel for the Redhawk players and fans.

6. Dammit. When you are on the road, you ABSOLUTELY, CANNOT put yourself in the position where an official's call can have an impact on the outcome of a game. Do that, and just like playing not to lose, you'll come up on the short end of the stick 90% of the time. I recall a 127 yard drive from the Clemson 30 a few years ago in the 4th quarter. Fortunately, unlike Miami, Marshall managed to get the "W" in that one.

7. I've officiated a few sports events in my lifetime. You don't have 18 camera angles and you've got to make a call or a non-call at full speed. Again however, if you're at home, you get the break on those calls. If you're on the road, you don't.

8. I have absolutely no emperical data to support my previous two assertions - nothing but pure anecdotal evidence. Of course, I am also waiting for the emperical data supporting the contention that Marshall had the fix in for the game but I guess I'll need to consult with Oliver Stone on that one. (P.S. A head shot from 150 feet is not terribly difficult. Besides, two of them missed). (P.P.S. "Shows you what one motivated Marine can do with a rifle"). (P.P.P.S. To all Miam fans - "You are pukes. You are the lowest form of life on the planet. You are not even human f#$king beings. You are nothing but unorganized grabasstic pieces of amphibian sh#t.") (P.P.P.P.S. Watch "Mail Call" at 8:00 p.m. on the History Channel for your weekly dose of R. Lee Ermy a.k.a. Gunnery Sergeant Hartman). (P.P.P.P.P.S. Sorry. Got a little carried away with Full Metal Jacket flashbacks and my P.S.'s).

9. Everyone is to blame for what happened after the game. If I were the spiteful type, I would remind Miami of a certain storming of the court after a hard fought victory over Notre Dame. I might also point out, if I were the spiteful type, that the conference uses video of the students storming the court in its national TV commercials. If I were the spiteful type, I might also point out that the fans of this unnamed school were carrying Wally (I can't spell his last name) on their shoulders while on the court. But, I'm not the spiteful type. Ummm, oops. The fans shouldn't have been on the field. Agreed. However, I search my increasingly poor memory in vain for a time when a coach from the losing team has made physical contact with with a fan who rushed the field. Now, vandalism in the coaching booth ain't questionable.

10. I have never hidden the fact that I'm very agnostic. However, seeing how much consternation this game caused Oddball, I'm inclined to change my views and start believeing that there is a God.

11. Rivalries are a good thing. Does anyone believe that the highest attendance in Oxford next year won't be the Marshall game? Does anyone believe the Miami players and coaches won't be totally jacked for the game? Does anyone believe they would rather watch EMU vs. Ball State than Marshall vs. Miami, OH? Didn't think so. Assuming Uncle Sam doesn't have other plans for my time, I'll sees y'all in Oxford next year.

<!--EDIT|MAKO|Nov 14 2002, 04:13 AM-->
11-13-2002 11:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HuskieDan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

One question - were the Kansas City Royals charged with assault for beating the crap out of the Ligue's at Comiskey Park? Was Mike Curtis charged with assault for clocking a fan in Baltimore?
11-13-2002 11:53 PM
Herd Swimming Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: T & A

Apples and Oranges HuskieDan and you know it.

This fan did not run out of the field and attack a player, therefore enlisting an ass beating from an entire team. (KC Royals at Comiskey)
11-14-2002 06:33 AM
HuskieDan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Herd Swimming Wrote:Apples and Oranges HuskieDan and you know it.

This fan did not run out of the field and attack a player, therefore enlisting an ass beating from an entire team. (KC Royals at Comiskey)
Yes, you are correct.

But that's why I put Mike Curtis in there - that fan was just drunk and happy running around the field not going towards anyone. Curtis clocked him, and it was a beautiful thing.

Question - did Mr 36year old lawyer have a field pass?
11-14-2002 12:03 PM
Advertisement

Herd Fan 4-Life Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall

Donators

Couldn't really tell from the camera angle, and too many paramedics around him to get a good look.

<!--EDIT|Herd Fan 4-Life|Nov 14 2002, 12:13 PM-->
11-14-2002 12:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HuskieDan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

If a guy runs on an airport runway and gets hit by a plane, is the plane at fault or is the guy on the runway?

Mitch Albom's article is dead on - these people shouldn't be on the field. Is it hard to control drunken fans? Yes. But why do we pay security and why were those cops on the field? Answer - crowd control. Seems they didn't do their job.
11-14-2002 01:15 PM
Herd Fan 4-Life Offline
Heisman

Donators

Were the pilots intoxicated? :D

Did the fans rush the field after you guys spanked BG?
11-14-2002 01:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HuskieDan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Are you saying that Miami's coaches were drunk?

If our fans rushed the field and left the field on a stretcher, it'd be hard to have much sympathy - it's like the show ******* - if those dipsh!ts get hurt, it's hard to cry for them, considering the stupid situations they stuck themselves in.

Question - if Mr. Flaugher jumped on the goalpost, fell off, broke his neck and was paralyzed for life, would Marshall be liable?
11-14-2002 01:29 PM
Herd Fan 4-Life Offline
Heisman

Donators

No, I'm not saying Miami coaches were drunk. There were a couple of drunken pilots who got in trouble this year for FUI I guess you would call it.

How could it be the planes fault?

If a man is in the woods alone, no wife or girlfriend around anywhere...and he makes a statement out loud....is he still wrong?
11-14-2002 01:33 PM
Road Warrior Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Quote:...the conference uses video of the students storming the court in its national TV commercials.

Fans rushing the field is part of the game. Period.

If a coach can't control his emotions and resist sucker punching a fan he shouldn't be a coach. Period.
11-14-2002 01:45 PM
Advertisement

HuskieDan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Road Warrior Wrote:
Quote:...the conference uses video of the students storming the court in its national TV commercials.

Fans rushing the field is part of the game. Period.

If a coach can't control his emotions and resist sucker punching a fan he shouldn't be a coach. Period.
Assuming the coach actually wound up and slugged the guy, I agree with you. Woody Hayes' emotions getting the better of him come to mind. Difference is that Woody snapped due to mental instability at the time and hit someone that belonged on the field.
11-14-2002 02:09 PM
Herd Fan 4-Life Offline
Heisman

Donators

Is that the same Woody Hayes who got his coaching start at Miami, OH?
11-14-2002 02:11 PM
HuskieDan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Herd Fan 4-Life Wrote:Is that the same Woody Hayes who got his coaching start at Miami, OH?
Yes.

Aren't you glad - you have a conspiracy theory of your own to toss around.... 03-lol
11-14-2002 04:29 PM
Herd Fan 4-Life Offline
Heisman

Donators

I'll leave the conspiracy thing to others. I was just wondering.
11-14-2002 04:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.