Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

National 1A rankings
Bookmark and Share
REALIST Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
Crappies

Take a look at next year's opposition - the road may not have the big names from the major conferences but it has some good teams. Akron has sure losses at Hawaii, Wisconsin, Marshall and Miami and will need some help at home against UCF and on the road at UConn. Looks like another 6 losses in 13 games out of the chute.

11-17-2002 12:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ElusiveQB Offline
All American

I Root For:

Assuming and hoping Owens stays....Hawaii is winnable considering our defense was young and we'll have much talent back and coming in.

Marshall will be w/o Leftwich, and they have a lot of seniors they'll be losing...I'm counting on that one to be a win as well. Miami will be a tough one, but we can beat them too...just depends on who shows up to play.

I really like next year's schedule and I think if we keep Owens and the scheme they're doing here we can win most of our games and be among the top in the MAC as we were a few years back.

But let's say Owens is outta here....there goes your coaches...in comes a new scheme on offense, defense, special teams....it'll be a nightmare. I don't know about all the other Zip fans around here, but I know I don't want to go through ANOTHER "rebuilding" process. 03-banghead
11-17-2002 01:04 PM
REALIST Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
Crappies

You are really brainwashed! Do you really think that any recruit is going to sign with a Lee Owens coached Akron team after back to back 4 win seasons in his 7th and 8th year on the job? Akron is a rebuilding process every year and just because 11 guys return on on offense and 6 on defense does not mean the championship game is around the corner. It means that whomever the new coach is will have something to build on for the future.

There is no way in hell that a Lee Owens coached team will win at Hawaii, at Marshall or at Miami. When was the last time he coached a team to a road win against a decent team... ANSWER is never. Winning two years ago at Kent or last season over Buffalo don't count. You really have to go back to the Navy win in the 1990's to find a decent road win.

The fact that you haveto question whether the Zips will show up to play is the top reason why change is needed. Under Owens there is no consistency. One week they beat Marshall the next week they lose to Ohio. One game the defense is bunk the next week the offense is bad. When the recruits come in they are all world when they leave they never reach their full potential.

04-bow All hail your sunshine attitude because if the Akron U powers that be feel like you do we will have a 4 & 9 season in 2003 and will be looking for a coach next fall after another poop season.
11-17-2002 06:00 PM
REALIST Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
Crappies

You are really brainwashed! Do you really think that any recruit is going to sign with a Lee Owens coached Akron team after back to back 4 win seasons in his 7th and 8th year on the job? Akron is a rebuilding process every year and just because 11 guys return on on offense and 6 on defense does not mean the championship game is around the corner. It means that whomever the new coach is will have something to build on for the future.

There is no way in hell that a Lee Owens coached team will win at Hawaii, at Marshall or at Miami. When was the last time he coached a team to a road win against a decent team... ANSWER is never. Winning two years ago at Kent or last season over Buffalo don't count. You really have to go back to the Navy win in the 1990's to find a decent road win.

The fact that you haveto question whether the Zips will show up to play is the top reason why change is needed. Under Owens there is no consistency. One week they beat Marshall the next week they lose to Ohio. One game the defense is bunk the next week the offense is bad. When the recruits come in they are all world when they leave they never reach their full potential.

04-bow All hail your sunshine attitude because if the Akron U powers that be feel like you do the Zips will have a 4 & 9 season in 2003 and will be looking for a coach next fall after another poop season.
11-17-2002 06:01 PM
Advertisement

trerocket Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

In order to rebuild, wouldn't you have to have built something to begin with? The only thing Owens has built up are the feelings of frustration and embarrassment by Akron fans! 03-lol You've got a snowball's chance in hell of beating Hawaii. They are a top 25 program.
11-17-2002 06:03 PM
Herd Fan 4-Life Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall

Donators

Keep the faith!! Good luck vs Hawaii!!!

:)
11-17-2002 09:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ElusiveQB Offline
All American

I Root For:

First off, REALIST, you contradicted yourself by saying we have no decent road wins, but then mention the Navy win....

Second of all...trerocket...I respect Toledo and MOST of their fans but not you...you just keep on looking forward to playing Cal Poly and UNLV as your challenges okay? To be the best, you play the best.

We're building on our Mac-East Co-Championship and back to back winning seaons in a long time. You can't lose as much as we have and win at the same time. Who cares what rank Hawaii is...the best team doesn't win, it's the team that plays best that wins....remember that.

Lastly, thanks Herdfan4Life :)
11-18-2002 08:46 PM
trerocket Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

AO, don't be so harsh. I actually would LIKE to see Akron succeed. Both of my parents went to school there. I have nothing against UofA. However, I feel it is time for a change. Owens is not the answer. I salute you for beating Marshall though!

And before you criticize our non-conference schedule, we played Pitt and Minnesota, 2 teams who will be bowling. Next year we have Pitt and Syracuse.

By the way, when was the last time UT played UA? I would be cool to play our "sister" school (though I would rather play MUg, MUr, and CFU in cross-division games). A couple of closing notes:

Go Akron soccer! :)
Fire Owens! :mad: 03-puke
11-19-2002 03:53 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.