Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Six MAC teams now rank in Sagarin's Top 100!
CMichFan Offline

I Root For: CMU

Crappies

The highest-ranked MAC teams, in order, are now Kent(23), Ball State(75), WMU(81), CMU(86), Miami(92), and Marshall(99). Toledo is close at #109.

04-cheers
12-15-2002 09:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GFlash68 Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State

Crappies

Hey! Come on MAC. What is this 23rd and then 75th. We need help. BTW, the 23rd is not inflated. I believe that we are deeper and more athletic than last year. Losing big Nate will hurt us a lot, but it will force us to use that depth. Our "rebuilding year" is coming along just fine, thank you. :D
12-16-2002 11:54 AM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

GFlash,
It was my comment on the MAC board that our Sagarin rating is inflated. I said that because it is literally true--it was not a judgment or opinion.
At this point in the season there have not been enough games played to fully link all the teams in the country, therefore Jeff Sagarin factors in partially last year's end rating. So our rating is based in part on the accomplishments of last year's team. Same holds true for Maryland, for example--their current rating is slightly inflated due to last year's performance.
It wasn't meant to be a knock at our Flashes, just an objective statement. Nobody is more optimistic about this year's team than I am! Really, though, considering who we have played so far, even at 5-0, it's hard to justify 23. If we win the next three, it should be even better, though, and by January, the stats will have linked and Sagarin's rating will be fairly accurate, like it always is. I'm hoping for better, eventually!
04-cheers
12-17-2002 07:42 AM
Advertisement

GFlash68 Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State

Crappies

I do understand the theory of power ratings as I in developed and implemented one of the first power rating systems in the late 60's. In theory, a teams rating is in constant flux and never really reaches a teams true rating. It just tries to get there. You are correct in that it gets more true as more games are input to the system. My statement was merely my feeling that our team is truely in its present range and as the ratings have more input, it is my opinion that we will not drop. So therefore, the present rating is not inflated. If you look at the present team, you will see that an oponent can not really focus on any one player and benefit tremendously. Which position on the team is a real liabiltiy? Can this team go to the bench for 2-3 players and not suffer? Will they play as a team? Will they play defense and rebound? If your answers are favorable to these questions, you have a top 25 team no matter where you play. In my observation, I have favorable answers. Just one persons opinion. :D
12-17-2002 11:26 AM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

I agree that all ratings and polls are just flawed attempts at trying to quantify the unquantifiable. As is the NCAA tourney, for that matter. Many may agree that the winner is the best team in college basketball that year, but it's not necessarily so--they did win the tourney, but we'll have a hard time getting knowledgeable people to agree, for example, that NC State and Villanova were truely the best teams in college basketball the years they won the NCAA. They won their last 6 games. That you can say for sure.

As to the Flashes, we seem to be talking apples and oranges--you were expressing your opinion of their talent and I was expressing my problems with a rating system that is less accurate than it will be as more numbers are thrown into the mix and last year's numbers--which Sagarin is still using to some degree--thrown OUT of the mix. If those numbers were out now, KSU rating would be lower, hence it's not a great measure of this year's performance so far.
I agree with what you say about them. One caveat though: I want to see them play better opposition to see how the mix holds up under greater pressure than they have seen so far. Like I said before, if they get through the next 3 games, no doubt will they deserve to be top 25 by ANY measure.
04-bow
12-17-2002 12:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.