Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Kent State Hockey????
imradioboy Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Off topic, but would you want to see varsity hockey back a t Kent? I was not in college when they axed the team, so I never got to see varsity hockey at Kent, was it good? did it draw? Do you think anybody will front the money to re-start the team??
I hope so. There is some good hockey played in the area on the highschool level, so we could stock the team with local talent. I know a team is not cheap, but if it enhances the profile of the school, I say go for it.
02-03-2003 08:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

The Flash Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State

I would love to see it back. If you have followed my posts at all through the years, I regularly rant about the Title IX elimination of the program. I was a big fan. I was a student when they joined the CCHA and there was a lot of excitement about it on campus. The chance to play the likes of OSU, MSU and UM at home was a big draw. We regularly kicked OSU's arse. It was fun to chant "OSU Sucks" and mean it. In the CCHA days, the rink sold out and there were plans on the board to expand the seating capacity. The student attendance was as good or better than basketball and the students had to pay for games, unlike the other sports. The program was on the rise just as it was killed. They never gave it a chance...

That said, it will never be reinstated while Queen Carol reigns over KSU. I spoke her personally when the decision was announced and she had no interest in saving the program. She didn't even try for private funding or raising ticket prices. Just cut :mad: 03-banghead

The irony is that Laing Kennedy played varsity hockey in college at Cornell, I believe... That said, the elimination was before his tenure at KSU.

<!--EDIT|The Flash|Feb 6 2003, 12:55 AM-->
02-05-2003 07:48 PM
Goozer Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

I'd concur with what The Flash had to say. I was also in school during the early 90's when the program was middle of the pack in the CCHA. It definitely was the "in thing" back in those days. A couple players from that era ended up transferring to top programs and got drafted for what its worth. Slyvester, Dartsch, and Morin to name a few.

If reinstated, I prolly wouldn't follow it as much as the other major sports, because hockey is not a personal fave of mine - but, I sure was pissed when it got the axe.

Beating Ohio State and Notre Dame is sweet, no matter what sport.

04-cheers

btw, just recently found this forum, quite good MAC talk, I'll try to visit often.
02-06-2003 09:07 AM
Falconfreak90 Offline
All American

I Root For:
Crappies

As a BG hockey fan, I'd love to see Kent get back on the ice as well. The Flashes did a decent job in those few years in the CCHA. Bowling Green used to be one of the elite in the CCHA but it seems everybody passed us by while we sat and did nothing. Thank goodness the Ice Arena was recently renovated and the administration is throwing support behind the program again. We've had good success in most sports over the years but that hockey program was king for years...now we have Coach Scott Paluch, who played at BG from 1984-87 and knows all about the tradition and success. 32 players on this year's roster and 22 are freshman or sophomores...2 seniors. We have a long way to go to get back to the top level of the CCHA but we're headed in the right direction.

And of course winning the National Championship in 1984 was awesome!!!!!!! 04-cheers 04-cheers 04-cheers 04-bow

Not to mention leading Ohio State all time 86-50!!! WE OWN THE BUCKS ON THE ICE! Except this yr.... 03-banghead

Anyway, Good points made about solid hockey talent in NE Ohio. I am sure Kent would do a good job with it....if it ever happens. College hockey is fast paced and exciting...watch the Frozen Four this year, always an exciting time!

BTW, Falcons host Michigan ST sat night...GO BG!!!!! BEAT THE SPARTANS!!!

04-cheers
02-06-2003 09:42 AM
The Flash Offline
All American

Goozer Wrote:Slyvester, Dartsch, and Morin to name a few.
Wow, I haven't heard those names in a while. They were all quite good players and tossed around the minors for a while in the mid-late 90s.

Ahhh, the memories...
02-06-2003 10:31 AM
Advertisement

imradioboy Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Yes. Lainge Kennedy was a Cornell hockey player. I believe that he was all american (even though he is Canadian) I remember he came to speak in one of my classes when I was a Kent. This would have been 98 or 99, and he told me that if he would have been the AD when the program was axed, we would still have a program.

Do you think that if we had some bick bucks alumni to throw money behind the program, it would ever come back??
02-06-2003 10:48 AM
The Flash Offline
All American

imradioboy Wrote:Do you think that if we had some bick bucks alumni to throw money behind the program, it would ever come back??
I asked Queen Carol a similar question back in 1994 when it was announced and she said she didn't thinkthat there would be anyone, but pretty much admitted that they didn't try to find anyone either. They really just wanted it gone to save money and really didn't try to save it. Very shortsighted,IMHO!
02-06-2003 11:34 AM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

I thought they wanted it gone to balance sport M/F?
02-06-2003 11:38 AM
The Flash Offline
All American

axeme Wrote:I thought they wanted it gone to balance sport M/F?
If you cut the $'s for the men, it is available to women and to balance Title IX. Poorly worded on my part.
02-06-2003 11:42 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.