Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What is our offense???
ksu315 Online
1st String

I Root For:

I'm growing very tired of Coach C. and his one man offense. When we were successful early in the season we were running the offense not this NBA 1 on 5 crap. Don't get me wrong Gates is an unbelievable talent but he can get his points out of a set offense. Some other thoughts

- let Haynes handle the ball. He's our future and when Gates handles it every stands around and watches.

- I'm beginning to wonder if we jumped the gun on this guy as our coach. He's got the deer in headlights look when things get tough. And judging by our offense during his 2 years of not coaching (yea thats right 2of the last 3 years he wasn't coaching anything) he must of been watching the NBA.

I hope this guy proves we wrong but i have serious doubts and i'm not along as alot of people in our section have been complaining about his offense.
02-23-2003 12:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FlashFan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Kent State

Well, bet there weren't " people in your section" questioning his results when we were 17-2.

I agree with you that I'd like to see more players get involved, to set us up for next year, if nothing else. But Gates is so versatile and hard to guard, use him wherever you can. Let's face it, if he weren't as involved some fans would be critizing Coach C. for that.

Despite a pretty good freshman year, Haynes has some sloppy moments (not crititizing the kid, point is a very tough spot to play well as a frosh) and needs help. Point requires the best judgement on the team, which usually comes with experience. And Gates certainly has the best of those two qualities on this team.

Let's face it. We have a team with far less talent this year and a new coach. We are dealing the best we can with the hands dealt. I might agree with you in a year or two, but I'm ready to give Coach C. some faith and a more time.
02-23-2003 09:49 AM
kl4life2 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Hey, even when they were 17-2 I was concerned with the offense we are running. I mean an intelligent fan, let alone a coach, paid to come up with a game plan, can realize stop Gates and Kent is done. 03-banghead

Most of the time we can get away with it, but last night was different. It seemed like Gates knew he was on National T.V. and decided to pass less. He was triple teamed and wouldn't pass the ball, we had open spot up shooters and no passes.

We need to win the Mac Tournament if we do maybe Christian can get a game plan together to fool other teams, because guess what boys we ain't sneakin up on anyone this year... 05-nono

Go Kent I will be there supporting the team, but will you?
02-23-2003 12:21 PM
FlashFan Offline
Heisman

When I was a student at KSU, I sat through seasons of:
9-17
6-20
12-14
8-14

and supported the Flashes then, so I can handle 17-6.

I agree with you that we run a predictable game plan with Gates at the center of it. And, it's not to hard to figure out the key to an opposing game plan. Coach C. has said his ideal is an "inside out' strategy using a strong post game with Gates or Gerwig in the paint drawing the defense with an pass option to the perimeter to Haut or Wikins. It does seem like it's the routine. But what are the options? I just don't see alot of step up, go to talent consistently on the floor to build a new plan around now. Plus, it's a little late in the year for a new philosophy

We should be more versatile next year when our underclassmen develop (Brown looks promising and this year should do Haynes a world of good) coupled with another year of experience for Gerwig and Haut - not to mention the impact of good recruits. Don't forget we may have a shot at an intact coaching staff going through one MAC season together and knowing the players around the league better. Imagine, the same staff two years in a row! But that's next year. We've got to play out this year the best we can.

I hope I am wrong, but just don't see a NCAA tournament caliber team in the Flashes right now. Do you? Frankly, I think winning the MAC tourney is a toss up. That doesn't mean I don't want it to happen won't pull for them if it does, just managing my expecations at this point. Heck, if I can stay with them for a combined 35 wins over 4 years, I can hang in there now.
02-23-2003 07:18 PM
imradioboy Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Wow. I never thought I's see a day where Kent fans EXPECT to win. Look at what we are writing. 17 wins are not enough for our fans. Frankly I love it. I saw the game saturday, and I actually got P1ssed when they lost. I know they can play better. I think it's great that something at Kent State can illicet that kind of emotion out of people.
They'll be fine. They will win the MAC and maybe even stun a first round opponent. Then next year, look out.
02-24-2003 10:54 AM
Advertisement

FlashFan Offline
Heisman

Radioboy-

I agree with you 100% about next year. This year of playing together plus new recruits will really pay off. The things is, the MAC should be much stronger next year too because so many teams are in the same situation. For example, I read somewhere there were 4 starting freshman point guards in the MAC. ( I know Kent and BG both have starting points. not sure about the other two).

We don't see the end of this year in the same way. But I sure hope you are right in March.
02-24-2003 07:44 PM
ksu315 Online
1st String

I Root For:

I agree radioboy. Who would have thought we'd be complaining about 17 wins? I just don't want the mediocrity of the last 30 years of Kent basketball to take form again. 3 thoughts

1. Let Haynes grow despite turnovers etc. I see alot of a young Andrew Mitchell in him.

2. Diversifying the offense and you get Haut , Gates, and Gerwig/Edwards hot and i don't think we can be stopped.

3. Improve the defense. IT seems like we give up alot of layups to the guards.

I'm not losing hope, just looking to continue to grow the program.
02-24-2003 09:55 PM
FlashFan Offline
Heisman

Actually, it is 18 wins so we should be even happier. :)
02-25-2003 05:44 AM
imradioboy Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

My Biggest Problem is that we seem to get killed on the glass. Watch them, after somebody puts up a shot, they all start running the other way. Which would be okay if they didn't seem to get torched in transition several times a game.

If you are going to be quick to head to the other end of the court to play defense, it is inexcusable to see what we did against hawaii where we were caught walking down the court, only to have the other team sprint past us for an easy layup
02-25-2003 10:02 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.