Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The MAC Conference approaches WKU
Bookmark and Share
galojah Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU & NC State

Donators

<a href='http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050217/SPORTS/502170433/1002/SPORTS' target='_blank'>Louisville Courier-Journal</a>
02-17-2005 07:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

[Image: bilde.jpg]
02-17-2005 10:53 AM
Tulsa_Golden_Hurricane
Unregistered

Points of interest:

Selig said MAC commissioner Rick Chryst called him last week to request a profile on Western's athletics and academics.

"There are a wide variety of aspects that make the MAC a very desirable league for any institution," he said. "Personally, I think the MAC is a league with considerable momentum. The football league had six bowl-eligible teams (last season) and is a top-10 basketball conference.

"It has a very attractive geographic location in respect to Bowling Green. The MAC is also blessed with deep media contracts with ESPN and Fox. It's certainly one of the more televised leagues in America."

Western President Gary Ransdell said the Sun Belt, which sponsors I-A football, has been "exerting pressure" on Western to join the league in football but that the school has been reluctant because of financial reasons.

Ransdell said moving to I-A football might be worth it financially if it meant getting into a league such as the MAC.

But Ransdell and Selig see a lot of benefits. Selig pointed out the elimination of costly trips to Sun Belt members Denver, North Texas, New Mexico State and Florida International. Next season's MAC alignment will include schools in Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan and Buffalo, N.Y.

And while football is a moneymaker for I-A institutions, Ransdell described I-AA football as "a financial disaster." When the Hilltoppers won the 2002 I-AA championship, the postseason expenses cost the program $100,000.
02-17-2005 11:33 AM
Quote this message in a reply
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts

It's a well kept secret but WKU wasn't going to New Mexico State next year.
02-17-2005 11:59 AM
Advertisement

HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

MAC approaches Western
Hilltoppers in the mix for Mid-American expansion

By OJ Stapleton, ojstapleton@bgdailynews.com -- 270-783-3239

Thursday, February 17, 2005

Western Kentucky might have another conference option if it decides to start playing I-A football.

Two weeks ago, WKU athletics director Wood Selig said if the Hilltoppers move up from Division I-AA, the Sun Belt Conference would be the only option. Now it looks as though the Mid-American Conference will be in the mix.

Selig said he received a phone call last week from MAC commissioner Rick Chryst seeking information to prepare an evaluation of WKU both institutionally and athletically.

On Feb. 7, the presidents of the MAC schools voted to begin looking into expansion because two schools – Marshall and Central Florida – will be leaving the conference next year to join Conference USA.

<a href='http://www.bgdailynews.com/articles/stories/public/200502/17/4Tjj_top-sports.html' target='_blank'>MAC Approaches WKU</a>
02-17-2005 02:07 PM
Tulsa_Golden_Hurricane
Unregistered

arkstfan Wrote:It's a well kept secret but WKU wasn't going to New Mexico State next year.
I don't think he was talking about necessarily just next year when he made that statement.
02-17-2005 08:27 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

See it is a well kept secret. NMSU is in the WAC next year and presumably many more after.
02-17-2005 09:41 PM
Advertisement

HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

MAC takes closer look at Western

02/18/05

By Mark Mathis
Messenger-Inquirer

Western Kentucky University has explored opportunities to move to Division I-A football the last couple of years and to find a new athletic conference after nearly 20 years in the Sun Belt Conference.

The school in Bowling Green has not been unlike a lot of universities with the same enrollment and resources in that regard.

"We have been keeping an eye on I-A football the last several years," WKU athletic director Wood Selig said Thursday. "We are aware of what the potential might be. There hasn't been a sense of urgency for us to make a move."

That might be changing, though, with the Mid-American Conference wanting to take a closer look at Western "to help them get a look and feel for Western Kentucky University," Selig said.

MAC commissioner Rick Chryst called Western last week to ask Selig for a profile of Western's athletics and academics.

"He indicated it was all very speculative right now, and he didn't want to put us in a bad spot with the Sun Belt," Selig said.

The MAC wants to replace Central Florida (football only) and Marshall, which will leave for Conference USA next season.

Western Kentucky, too, had been looking at other conference affiliations behind the scenes for a couple of years.

"I did my homework on behalf of the institution," Selig said.

Western had contact with the Atlantic 10, Conference USA, the Missouri Valley Conference and the Mid-American Conference.

"I was politely told thank you for your inquiries, but Western Kentucky is not on our radar," Selig said.

Now, however, the MAC wants to take a closer look.

<a href='http://www.messenger-inquirer.com/sports/college/8120625.htm' target='_blank'>MAC To Take A Closer Look At WKU</a>
02-18-2005 11:42 AM
Tuffguy20 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Ok, please, I'm tired of readen this crap, all I gotta say to WKU is...

<span style='font-family:Impact'><span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>Crap OR GET OFF THE POT!!!!!!!!!</span></span>

Tuffguy
02-19-2005 12:25 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tulsa_Golden_Hurricane
Unregistered

arkstfan Wrote:See it is a well kept secret. NMSU is in the WAC next year and presumably many more after.
Whatever. You should be able to get the point by reading his statements.
02-23-2005 01:46 PM
Advertisement

Tulsa_Golden_Hurricane
Unregistered

Tuffguy20 Wrote:Ok, please, I'm tired of readen this crap, all I gotta say to WKU is...

<span style='font-family:Impact'><span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>Crap OR GET OFF THE POT!!!!!!!!!</span></span>

Tuffguy
Sounds like MTSU's administration, maybe not there fans though, would like to be approached by the MAC too. There is an article out now about MTSU and them saying they have not heard anything from the MAC yet, but it kind of sounds like they would like to. Can't remember what the link is, but it is on the MAC board.
02-23-2005 01:48 PM
Shof Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cajuns

Saw the post. Would be interesting to see what their administration would do if given the option. :rolleyes:
I'm sure publically they would say they are happy in the belt; but like most of us, we like being courted. I'm sure if the Cajuns would be asked to "provide some info" to CUSA, they would definitely do it. Ditto for several others.
02-23-2005 03:45 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

As Ive said "Everyone wants to move up the FOOD CHAIN". You just don't rock the boat the conf. you are in unless you have solid proof that you are moving up. Therefore you say what makes the conf you are in happy.
02-23-2005 04:01 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

WKU is a unique situation from the rest of the Sun Belt schools except South Alabama.

They were in the old Sun Belt with UAB, USF, VCU, ODU, Charlotte.

USA is pretty content because they gained two rivals that are close by, UNO and ULL and their fan support level is not going to move them upward.

WKU draws well in basketball in all but the most hopeless seasons and they took being abandoned a little more personally than USA.

Leaving has been the goal for the past 14 years and I'm not sure that any lateral move would be turned down. To me a lateral move is one that does not involve a significant increase in revenue and post-season berths. The MAC is lateral, the WAC is lateral.

If the MAC and Sun Belt revenues and expenses were identical. The RPI identical. The football ratings identical. WKU would move. In this case the money is going to be close to identical, Sun Belt power ratings in football slightly higher, MAC basketball slightly higher. Given the slight difference in basketball there is no question WKU leaves if offered. The administration HAS to do something to after watching the Sun Belt raided by the Great Midwest, Metro, Colonial, and WAC (twice) just to get a fresh start.
02-23-2005 04:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.