Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Marcus Vick DONE at VT
Bookmark and Share
MU ATO Offline
THE ONE AND ONLY

I Root For: MU, GCU, U of I

Donators

I have heard rumors...................................

<a href='http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=maisel_ivan&id=1836973' target='_blank'>CLICK HERE for story</a>
07-11-2004 11:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FlashFan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Kent State

Quote: I have heard rumors...................................

Other than the ones you've started?
07-11-2004 11:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rocketfootball Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

If you ask me, Leftwich and Pennington were better QB's than Vick and he really doesn't fit well into Marshall's offense.
07-11-2004 12:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ThunderStruck Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Quite frankly, we really don't need Marcus Vick. Bernard Morris, the redshirt freshman behind Stan Hill, is being talked about on campus as the "Second Coming". Byron's Arm, with 4.42 speed.
07-11-2004 03:35 PM
HuskieDan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

ThunderStruck Wrote:Quite frankly, we really don't need Marcus Vick. Bernard Morris, the redshirt freshman behind Stan Hill, is being talked about on campus as the "Second Coming". Byron's Arm, with 4.42 speed.
The next Graham Gochneaur, right? At least before he actually got any playing time...
07-11-2004 08:57 PM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

HuskieDan Wrote:
ThunderStruck Wrote:Quite frankly, we really don't need Marcus Vick.&nbsp; Bernard Morris, the redshirt freshman behind Stan Hill, is being talked about on campus as the "Second Coming".&nbsp; &nbsp; Byron's Arm, with 4.42 speed.
The next Graham Gochneaur, right? At least before he actually got any playing time...
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
07-12-2004 05:08 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MUther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
CrappiesCrappies

HuskieDan Wrote:
ThunderStruck Wrote:Quite frankly, we really don't need Marcus Vick.&nbsp; Bernard Morris, the redshirt freshman behind Stan Hill, is being talked about on campus as the "Second Coming".&nbsp; &nbsp; Byron's Arm, with 4.42 speed.
Seems like there are quite a few MAC teams that are touting untried QB's this season. BG and Miami come to mind. I expect NIU fans to get a little mouthy this time of year. I also expect them to disappear after the BG and Toledo games as usual.
07-12-2004 08:14 AM
HuskieDan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

MUther Wrote:
HuskieDan Wrote:
ThunderStruck Wrote:Quite frankly, we really don't need Marcus Vick.  Bernard Morris, the redshirt freshman behind Stan Hill, is being talked about on campus as the "Second Coming".    Byron's Arm, with 4.42 speed.
Seems like there are quite a few MAC teams that are touting untried QB's this season. BG and Miami come to mind. I expect NIU fans to get a little mouthy this time of year. I also expect them to disappear after the BG and Toledo games as usual.
We have a veteran QB, thankyouverymuch. :wave:

PS - If I have to lose, I'd rather lose to good teams (BG & UT) than bad teams (Troy St).
07-12-2004 08:37 AM
MUther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
CrappiesCrappies

HuskieDan Wrote:
MUther Wrote:
HuskieDan Wrote:
We have a veteran QB, thankyouverymuch. :wave:

PS - If I have to lose, I'd rather lose to good teams (BG & UT) than bad teams (Troy St).
Uh...didn't you guys get stomped by 1-AA a couple of years ago? Our team had no chemistry, was riddled with injuries, and was basically not good. A nice win over KSU was not an indicator of our team's readiness for last year. Many mistakenly assumed it was (including me) and couldn't understand why we lost to Troy State. Troy State was prepared for us. THey did their homework. We didn't take them seriously and we lost. It happens. NIU had a great run last year, but let's not pretend it is the norm for them. I like the Huskies. I root for them in the west. But until they can beat the 1-AA teams on their schedule, at least, I'd think they wouldn't worry about Marshall getting ambushed in Troy.

We have a veteran QB, too. He was injured last year. He was a punk last year. He either healed and grew up or he didn't. We won't know till he takes the field. The team seems to believe in him. His attitude seems to have improved. His injuries seem to have healed. THere is no way we can know for sure until we know for sure. I like our chances of winning the east based on recent history better than your chances of winning the west on the same history. I think Marshall and Toledo are ready to put things back where they should be, where they belong. That's means NIU is anywhere between #2-#5 in the west, right where they belong.
07-12-2004 09:12 AM
HuskieDan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Quote:Uh...didn't you guys get stomped by 1-AA a couple of years ago?

Beaten by W. Illinois, yes. Stomped, no - lost on a TD with under a minute left. And you talk about chemisty and mental attitude - our early '02 season was a roller coaster ride - beat Wake in OT (a Wake team that beat Oregon in the Seattle Bowl to finish the season), then find out during the week that our best player (Hammock - the one guy on our media guide) had a potentially fatal heart condition. That deflation led to a big loss at USF. But right back up to battle Wisconsin to the end (Turner had over 150 yards, D had 10 sacks), but had the game stolen from us (at least that's how it felt), and that amplified deflation led to a lackluster effort against a good WIU team with a snubbed QB (he played the "waiting for a better offer" game, and thus lost his offer to NIU). It happens. That team won the next 7 in a row, starting with beating Kent 13-7 in a defensive struggle, but was not so much an excellent team as it was a team that relied on big plays.

Quote:NIU had a great run last year, but let's not pretend it is the norm for them.&nbsp; I like the Huskies.&nbsp; I root for them in the west.&nbsp; But until they can beat the 1-AA teams on their schedule, at least, I'd think they wouldn't worry about Marshall getting ambushed in Troy.&nbsp;

You're right - historically, it's not our norm. And I've not claimed the Huskies to be the end-all, be-all of the MAC. But you have to keep in mind that just 6 or 7 years ago, NIU was the depths of college football. We're building into a very nice program with no signs of falling apart, but only time will tell for sure. PS - we beat our one 1AA team last year. This year we play S Illinois, currently judged to be among the top 5 teams in 1AA, so we aren't playing a slouch 1AA team.

Quote:He was a punk last year.

No, he's a punk period.

Quote:I like our chances of winning the east based on recent history better than&nbsp; your chances of winning the west on the same history.

Fair enough, but I'd look at it more circumstantially than historically. We lost a top 5 national rusher and Heisman candidate and several defensive stars, while you return much of your team. Plus, the East just lost the conference's top NFL prospect and contains pretty much all enigmas otherwise. The West has strong-looking UT and BG, plus talent at WMU.

Quote:I think Marshall and Toledo are ready to put things back where they should be, where they belong.&nbsp; That's means NIU is anywhere between #2-#5 in the west, right where they belong.

There's no belong about it. As for NIU being behind UT, only an idiot would rank us about the Rockets right now. I happen to like our chances at home this year, especially since so many folks like yourself seem to so greatly discount our chances of getting it done.
07-12-2004 12:59 PM
MAKO Offline
1st String

I Root For:

NIU's problem is that they can't win the games that really count. They choked against Toledump, at home, a couple of years ago. Last year, they had a great start beating Maryland and Alabama but then got hammered by both BUGS and the Rockettes. I firmly believe that, if NIU's last game of the season was against EMU or Buffalo, with the Division title hanging in the balance, they'd find a way to lose. I agree that NIU has built a good program in the last few years but they need to find a way to win the "big" games if they want to be taken seriously.
07-12-2004 02:55 PM
Advertisement

MU ATO Offline
THE ONE AND ONLY

I Root For: MU, GCU, U of I

Donators

How is Stan Hill a punk??

Have you EVER met him?

Hung out with him?

Partied with him?

Played golf with him?

?????????

IDIOT.
07-12-2004 04:43 PM
DevilGrad Offline
All American

I Root For:

Well, I've never been out underage drinking with him, been seen in public intoxicated with him, been a passenger in a car he was driving recklessly, or been arrested along with him. So I guess I'm not qualified to say whether he's a punk or not.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone at the BK drive-through sign.
07-12-2004 05:05 PM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Point, set, match, DG. 04-rock
07-12-2004 08:08 PM
ThunderStruck Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Some of you guys have an "obsessive-compulsive" disorder when it comes to Marshall. Try winning a conference championship and then talk smack. Marshall, Toledo, & Miami are the only ones that can even let out a "peep" when it comes to Football & the Mac. Why don't the rest of you "win something" first, and then maybe everybody else will give some credence to what you say.

Until then....... you need to worry about your own teams record, not if Marshall's 3rd-string's outside-linebacker's cousin's mother-in-law was arrested for a misdemeanor on jaywalking................................"Pathetic".
07-12-2004 10:30 PM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Your ignorance is showing again. After 7 years you still haven't figured out that the MAC existed prior to Marshall's mistaken readmittance.
07-13-2004 05:07 AM
Advertisement

DevilGrad Offline
All American

I Root For:

ThunderStruck Wrote:Until then....... you need to worry about your own teams record, not if Marshall's 3rd-string's outside-linebacker's cousin's mother-in-law was arrested for a misdemeanor on jaywalking................................"Pathetic".
We were 13-1 last season, finished tenth in the country, and off-loaded our only known customer of the Butler County judicial system to y'all. Does that qualify?

I suspect I have a different definition of pathetic, but it will profit no one for me to explain it yet again, so I won't waste the time.
07-13-2004 08:27 AM
ThunderStruck Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Obviously, you didn't read the first the first post, where it mentioned Miami & Toledo, as winning championships. It makes me wonder if the "edumaca-tion" that you received at Miami, was worth the money. 03-lol
07-13-2004 08:49 AM
HuskieDan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

ThunderStruck Wrote:Until then....... you need to worry about your own teams record, not if Marshall's 3rd-string's outside-linebacker's cousin's mother-in-law was arrested for a misdemeanor on jaywalking................................"Pathetic".
I was never all that worried the jaywalking. It was the lack of institutional control and extra benefits I had a problem with.
07-13-2004 09:06 AM
HuskieDan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

MAKO Wrote:NIU's problem is that they can't win the games that really count. They choked against Toledump, at home, a couple of years ago. Last year, they had a great start beating Maryland and Alabama but then got hammered by both BUGS and the Rockettes. I firmly believe that, if NIU's last game of the season was against EMU or Buffalo, with the Division title hanging in the balance, they'd find a way to lose. I agree that NIU has built a good program in the last few years but they need to find a way to win the "big" games if they want to be taken seriously.
Besides your definition of NIU as chokers, the rest of that is fair. We're merely one of the better MAC teams until we break through and win the title.

But to say that our early-season run last year was not "big" and weren't "big games" is foolish and shortsighted. And IMO that run, for a program that has admittedly always been an also-ran, was bigger than a MAC title.....but only the one time. Don't get me wrong, I want to win the title, but the respect and press coverage for NIU (and the MAC) last year was enormous, and has helped our recruiting immensely (we still have among the worst facilities in the MAC, so we need the notoriety).

We're now recognized as a top MAC FB program. We're now recognized as a dangerous opponent OOC for BCS conference teams. The next step is to, as you say, win the ones that count. But it'll sure feel weird to beat BG and Toledo and possibly lose to someone we shouldn't lose to and have it not matter (like UT losing to BSU).
07-13-2004 09:13 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.