Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

A different note...
FlashFan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Kent State

It was probably the Akron chat on the Kent board about their football prospects that finally tipped me, but it's time for a new topic. Not sports related (well, depending what you consider sport, it may be), but an interesting between seasons topic.

For the Kent alums, where do you always visit when you return to Kent?
(This, of course, assumes you've returned to Kent.) Your favorite Thursday night handout? The Water Street tour? The MACC? One of the few at Dix stadium? Or, like you told your parents, the library?

For those who are still students, where do you hang out now? And is JB's still around? With the Numbers Band? (Gawd, I'm old!. That's how you'll know the Numbers Band. They're really old by now.)

For me, no visit to the Tree City is complete without a visit to Ray's with french fries and a Heinie. And I have dragged my spouse back to Dix for a game (proof of love from a Notre Dame alum.) For you?
05-29-2003 08:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

imradioboy Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

I am a recent graduate (2001) I used to hang out at this dive called the avenue. Quarter drafts and 15 cent wings every tues. I still have my mug. I also liked the Panini's, which I think used to be JB's. Yes, the numbers band is still around. I think they play in Cleveland now. The big band was 2 skinee dorks and some other hippee jam band that used to play at Mug's.
I also used to like to go to the Rat after basketball games, or when I was blowing off class. They had these rediculosly large beers for about two dollars, and I could stumble back to my dorm.
When I go back, it's usually a trip to Mike's Place for lunch or dinner, the game (FB or BB) and then to Ray's or the Loft for beer.

P.S. Did anybody ever have, or buy for someboody else, the Grecian Urn at the loft? For bonus points, how long did it take for you to get sick after drinking it?
05-30-2003 05:15 AM
The Flash Offline
All American

While in school (late80s, early 90s), my group hung out at a place called BCs Bus Stop in the Acme plaza. It's now gone. We mostly went there because professional recruiters who came back to campus didn't want to go into town and they were buying! Plus, my girlfriend (now wife) worked in town and her boss partied there and we usually drank free on his tab as well. Free booze and I was there!

Now, when I go back I am one of the few pathetic individuals who frequent Dix. Before or after, we'll go to Ray's or Panini's. I feel a bit out of place at the Loft now.

Good times and memories though! 04-cheers
05-30-2003 11:05 AM
Advertisement

Flashfan88 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

It would have to be the Loft for me (some great times there), but I whish
BC's Bus Stop was still there - had some great times there also, it was
the gathering place for me and some friends before and after KSU football
and basketball games (when they would still go to football games).

Used to spend some time at Lindsy's Bar and Grill (old building on the
(corner of Franklin and Summit St.), as I played on a softball team that
the bar sponsered. -Oh the memories

I have a older brother that use to tell me about all the great bands that
played at the "DOME" then became the Library/Franklin Station;
Some of the Bands/ or people that he claimed to have seen:

Glass Harp (Phil Keagy's band- he is now seen frequently on religeous music programs/tv), Joe Walsh (James Gang), The Measles (they were a legend in Kent during the early 70's) and a great band that did old 50's
music called Monopoly that featured a great guitarist - Rick
Underwood.

Great Topic for discussion !
05-30-2003 03:41 PM
FlashFan Offline
Heisman

Ahhh, yes, the Loft. :D
Thanks for the reminder. The Loft Happy Hour was how we knew it was Friday. Probably still worth a stop on my next trip back. Almost afraid to ask, Imradioboy, but what is in a Grecian Urn? You know, in case I'm offered one on my visit.

While I'll be out of place; think it will look the same. Has the Loft changed in 40 years? (Other than the faces.) If Panini's is whre JB's used to be, I will definetly stop there.

Don't remember the DOME; but I do recall the All Campus Programming Board did a great job attracting concerts. People who did not go to Kent can't believe a venue the size of the old auditorium and even the Student Center ballroom attracted The Eagles, Fleetwood MAC and Bruce Springsteen. But they did. If the ACPB is still good; maybe we could put them on Sports marketing. 04-bow
05-30-2003 05:34 PM
Advertisement

The Flash Offline
All American

The Library, what a great name for a bar. I always thought that was genious.

A fictitious conversation home:

Son: Hi mom!
Mom: Hi son. I called last night at 11pm. Where were you?
Son: The Libarary, of course. Where else would I be on a Thursday night.

03-wink
05-30-2003 07:46 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

Man, what a great thread!
I'd lke to get into this, but I'm in the middle of packing and am heading out tomorrow for a 3-week trip: Baltimore, Ireland, Maine, then back to Ohio.
I was in Knet off and on for 15 years. Numbers Band --who I heard on NPR three weeks ago on "What Do You Know?" and they sounded great --were my friends back then--old drummer and I were running buddies. Ziggy down at Woodsy's Music, too. Many a night at the Kove, JB's, Walter's. Old Jerry's Diner....wow.
I'll be back to this thread later in June!
Guard the fort while I'm gone, friends!
04-cheers
05-30-2003 08:26 PM
Advertisement

FlashFan Offline
Heisman

Axeme, enjoy a great trip.

What a country. The Numbersband and Ray's have web sites! You can even order Numbersband recordings from their site, which I plan to do (even though I can hear my kids chuckling now :D ). They still play around Kent at The Outpost, another name from the past.

Anyway, if anyone else is interested, here goes:

<a href='http://www.numbersband.com' target='_blank'>http://www.numbersband.com</a>

<a href='http://www.raysplacekent.com' target='_blank'>http://www.raysplacekent.com</a>
05-31-2003 03:33 PM
imradioboy Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

What's in a Grecian Urn???? Nobody knows. It is pretty much whatever the bartender feels like pouring. This could include, but is not limited to:
Rum, Gin, Coke, liquor, grenidine, Vodka, whiskey, Ouzo (which may be how it got its name) Pepper, Ketchup, and the beer in the bottom of the tubs that they place under the beer taps. All of this in a tall glass placed on a flashlite so it does not harden in the glass. Why anybody drinks it is beyond me.
You are better off going to Taco Tanto's below the loft. At least it's food that tears up your stomach. Actually, the food is great.
06-01-2003 11:46 AM
Advertisement

axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

It's funny to think of the Numbers Band playing the Outpost. 04-rock
I remember when one of my housemates decided she wanted to give Amateur Night a shot when it was a strip club--surprised the hell out me, pleasantly of course. I went with her for, you know, moral support. She won like fifty bucks and free drinks. They offerred her a job, but it was a one-time thing for her--just wanted to be able to say she did it. What a dive though!
I played softball for Woodsy's Music back when it was a 1 man (Paul Ziggy Braden) operation in a store about 15 ft wide and 40 ft deep about 20 yds west of where it is now. Taco Tonto was on that team, before he passed on the business to the woman who runs it now at the Loft--unless it's changed hands again. I haven't been back much since the 80's.
I just got the 2 Numbers Band cd's they have--"Jimmy Bell" and "Blues." Have them and the others on vinyl but the turntable skips so badly in the car. 03-wink
06-18-2003 07:24 AM
FlashFan Offline
Heisman

axeme,

Welcome back. Hope you had a great trip.

Ordered two Numbers Band CD's, but don't have them yet. That will be a happy day.
06-18-2003 06:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.