Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bugging Lockeroom hits SI
Bookmark and Share
buck5y5. Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

<a href='http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/mike_fish/news/2003/07/08/straight_shooting/' target='_blank'>http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_ga...aight_shooting/</a>

Mad about Marshall

Thundering Herd's success has made folks paranoid
Posted: Tuesday July 08, 2003 4:19 PM
Updated: Tuesday July 08, 2003 4:33 PM

Few mid-major college football programs can match Marshall's resume. In recent years, the Thundering Herd have produced such stars as Randy Moss, Chad Pennington and Byron Leftwich, not to mention a busload of victories.

So why are people so upset with them? Sure, part of it is those five consecutive Mid-American Conference championships. Head coach Bobby Pruett has likened the Herd to Florida State, a powerhouse that has long stirred the emotions -- both good and bad -- of college football fans.

The Herd's success is enough to make some people paranoid. Last season, there was talk -- but no proof -- that the visiting locker room at Marshall University Stadium was bugged.

It all bubbled up in the zany aftermath of the Herd beating rival Miami of Ohio 36-34 on the game
07-08-2003 05:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Stick4489 Offline
Gaseous Clay

I Root For: The Herd

CrappiesCrappies

:rofl: 03-lol 03-lol 03-lol :rolllol:

[Image: sonny1.jpg]
07-08-2003 06:17 PM
Herdon Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

What a great article, just shows that most people outside of the bitter parnoid folks on this board know how dominate the Herd is and how when people can't beat you on the field they come up with lots of off the wall crap. Hey goffball, and the queen clueless and the rest of you haters, please let it go. You have no evidence but the word of a band geek. That really is sad. Spaceships and black magic won't help you guys get it done.

By the way, in the off chance that Miami beats MU this year, will anyone run on the field. If so, what excuses will you lame-o's come up with. 03-lol
07-08-2003 06:42 PM
MUther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
CrappiesCrappies

Herdon Wrote:What a great article, just shows that most people outside of the bitter parnoid folks on this board know how dominate the Herd is and how when people can't beat you on the field they come up with lots of off the wall crap. Hey goffball, and the queen clueless and the rest of you haters, please let it go. You have no evidence but the word of a band geek. That really is sad. Spaceships and black magic won't help you guys get it done.

By the way, in the off chance that Miami beats MU this year, will anyone run on the field. If so, what excuses will you lame-o's come up with. 03-lol
Probably the same geek who swore the bus was stoned and shaken up in Huntington. La-hoo-zaa-errrs
07-08-2003 07:36 PM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Gee, since he didn't mention the NCAA violations or the criminal behavior of your players, maybe I made them up, too? I guess I should have asked Bobby Pruett what my opinion should be, Then I could be like Mike. :rolleyes:
07-08-2003 08:08 PM
Quote this message in a reply
buck5y5. Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

It looked to me like he talked to more people than just Bob Pruett.

He talked to the Miami coach....the Toledo AD, and the Marshall AD.

Seems that those three investigated it and found nothing. While I am sure that you don't trust Marcum, you must trust your own AD.

03-banghead
07-08-2003 10:08 PM
Advertisement

Dodo Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Uh, did anyone notice that no Miami official publicly mentioned the bugging incident until Fish called to ask about it? That's because there was no evidence, and the university acts with class.

When Miami's coaches and players do something wrong, they are punished or dismissed.

When players at other programs are dismissed, they transfer to Marshall.
07-08-2003 10:08 PM
buck5y5. Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Yes, I noticed.

The only one I heard it from was Oddball.

Not a slam, just the facts/
07-08-2003 10:25 PM
HuskieDan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

[quote]
07-08-2003 10:53 PM
Chevy1 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

One of this board's favorite "urban legends" or "conspiracy theories" now has been described by "Sports Illustrated" as:
"Sour Grapes"
"Thundering Herd's success has made folks paranoid" (catchy title btw),
"Much ado about nothing"
"I think it goes back to it
07-08-2003 11:31 PM
Herdon Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Nicely Posted 04-rock

I can't wait to see what excuses the haters come up with this year. Maybe MU will brainwash the refs and persuade them to make the Right calls. Or we will crown Miamis field before the game 03-lol 03-lol 03-lol
07-09-2003 04:55 AM
Advertisement

Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

<a href='http://www.ncaa.org/news/2002/20020107/div1/3901n33.html' target='_blank'>Not cheating, PARANOIA!</a>
07-09-2003 05:04 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Rockets1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo

Herdon Wrote:I can't wait to see what excuses the haters come up with this year
did minimun wage go up from $25/hr to $26.50/hr?!?!

I heard they wont even be moppin...only dusting!!! :eek: :eek:

Too bad Stan Hill gets into legal trouble too many times, he gets to miss out on allllll the money :snore:
07-09-2003 05:14 AM
Schadenfreude Online
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

That was a great article.

Man, I love MAC football, and articles like that show why.

04-bow
07-09-2003 05:20 AM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest

[quote]Pruett is already hot that Miami and others haven
07-09-2003 07:33 AM
fatmanjim Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Hmmm, the Marshall haters trying to turn this thread away from their jealous allegations that proved to be unfounded whining....who woulda thought? 03-lol 03-lol 03-lol
07-09-2003 07:48 AM
Advertisement

rocketfootball Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo

fatmanjim Wrote:Hmmm, the Marshall haters trying to turn this thread away from their jealous allegations that proved to be unfounded whining....who woulda thought? 03-lol 03-lol 03-lol
Well, I hate Marshall and I have never made allegations that Marshall bugged their locker rooms!

Anyway, I think the janitors in Huntington are supposed to get a bonus this year!
07-09-2003 07:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MAKO Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Since the rumors started flying about the alleged bugging of Miami's locker room, it was promised that, once this story made the national media, it would blow the lid off. I continue to wait for any shred of evidence that the alleged bugging actually happened. Unfortunately, evidence is not something that's generally required on the internet. 03-lol
07-09-2003 08:34 AM
DevilGrad Offline
All American

I Root For:

Chevy1 Wrote:Finally, I concur with Dodo and commend Miami fans on the fact that I haven't seen any Redhawk fans on this board propogating this hoax. However, Dodo and I agreeing on anything certainly has a short shelf life. 03-lol 03-lol :wave: 04-drinky 04-drinky 04-drinky :chair: 04-rock :rofl:
Based on my observations and conversations, the bulk of Miamians who have heard the full story believe that it is something other than a "hoax."

There's a difference between a credible allegation and a provable case, however, and, fortunately for my life as a moderator at MHT, most of our guys understand the difference. In fact, I believe the first person to post about the story on our board was a Herd fan.

And that will be my first and last public statement on this topic.
07-09-2003 08:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stick4489 Offline
Gaseous Clay

I Root For: The Herd

CrappiesCrappies

Serious question. Was the Miami band even at the game? They didn't perform at halftime. I remember a few folks with instruments sitting with the Miami fans. However, they weren't in uniforms. I honestly just thought they were fans.

I've seen the Miami band at Yager. So I know they have a much larger, more organized marching band than what was in Huntington. Was that some kind of pep band? Club? Was it officially associated with the university? Just curious. Thanks.

[Image: sonny1.jpg]
07-09-2003 09:03 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.