Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Trojan Baseball wins A-Sun regular season
Bookmark and Share
Trojans1andAll Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Troy

Here is the <a href='http://www.troytrojans.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=32&url_article_id=695&url_subchannel_id=&change_well_id=2' target='_blank'>link.</a>

GO TROJANS!

Quote:Trojans Clinch A-Sun Crown with 6-2 Victory Over Stetson
Ricky Hazel 05/14/2005

&nbsp; &nbsp; --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TROY, Ala. – On a night when the Troy offense appeared to be sleep walking through the early innings, it was a simple announcement over the Riddle-Pace Field public address system that sparked the Trojans to a 6-2 victory over Stetson on Saturday night.

That announcement simply said, "In other Atlantic Sun Conference play tonight, final score from Orlando, Georgia State 3, UCF 2."

With the Golden Knights’ loss, the Trojans needed just one more A-Sun victory to capture the 2005 league title. The team responded with a four-run sixth inning to put the game away and earn for Troy the first conference title in baseball since winning the Mid-Continent Conference title in 1996 and 1997.

"I am so proud of this team," Coach Bobby Pierce said. "To bring a championship back to Riddle-Pace Field was important to me, to my assistants and to these players. People don’t understand how much work has gone into this and I couldn’t be happier for all of the people of Troy because so many people have been involved in this."

The Trojans improved to 34-16 overall and 21-5 in the A-Sun with the victory. It was Troy’s fifth straight win since snapping a five-game losing streak last Saturday against UCF. Stetson falls to 29-23 overall and 16-13 in A-Sun play.

On the field, the night belonged to senior Landon Brazell (8-4) who was making his final start at home for the Trojans. The Dothan native had been hammered in each of his last three outings, dropping all three games. He came back with a vengeance against the best hitting team in the A-Sun, holding the Hatters to just two runs on six hits over 8 1/3 innings of work.

"This was a very big game for Landon," Pierce said. "He had struggled recently to the point where he called the team together and apologized for his performance, even though he had nothing to apologize for.

"I kept telling him that tough times don’t last, but tough people do, and he showed just how tough he is tonight. The only think I hate is that he didn’t get to finish it, because I know he wanted that, and I wanted it for him. He deserved to be on the mound when we won this title, and I know he is disappointed that he couldn’t finish."

Brazell went to the mound for the ninth inning with every intention of finishing the game. After striking out Stetson catcher David Golliner to start the inning, he hit Jon Still with a 3-2 pitch before walking Adam Tindle. A bloop single by Shane Jordan loaded the bases and ended Brazell’s night.

Freshman Pete Van Horn came on in relief and got Brandon Paritz to ground into a game-ending double play to secure the victory for Brazell with his fourth save of the year.

Brazell finished the night having allowed just two earned runs on six hits while walking five and striking out four. He threw 152 pitches in the game.

"Landon doesn’t realize what he did for this team tonight," Pierce said. "We would not have been in this position without him and I am very proud of the effort he turned in tonight."

The Troy offense had just one hit off Stetson left-hander Nathan Nery (4-3) through the first five innings of the game. That one hit, however, was a two-run homer off the bat of red-hot junior Jared Keel in the second inning.

Following the announcement of the UCF loss, the Trojans opened the sixth with consecutive singles from Henry Gutierrez and Nick Smith. After a Brian Bennett sacrifice moved both runners into scoring position, Keel was walked intentionally to load the bases.

Senior Chase Amis followed with a sacrifice fly to score Gutierrez for a 3-1 Troy lead. Bryan Madril was then hit by a pitch to load the bases for senior Adam Godwin.

Godwin, who earlier in the night set a new A-Sun career stolen base record with the 101st of his career, and 73rd of the season, got a pitch he could handle and tripled into the right field corner, driving in three runs. Godwin overran third on the play and was tagged out, but the damage was done.

Stetson scored its only runs in the fourth and eighth innings, both on RBI doubles by Brian Bocock.

The Trojans managed just five hits in the game, including two by Smith. Jordan and Bocock had two hits each to lead Stetson.

Troy will close out the 2005 home schedule on Sunday with the final game of the Stetson series. The Trojans’ 11 seniors will be honored in pre-game ceremonies before the scheduled 1 p.m. start.

With the regular season title in hand, Pierce said the Trojans will have to walk a fine line between getting players rest, and staying sharp for the A-Sun Tournament.

"Henry came to me right after the game and said that he wants to play tomorrow, and I think all of our regulars have the same attitude," Pierce said. "We want to get all of those guys some rest, but we also need to give some other guys an opportunity to play.

"We still need to finish strong down the stretch because we have to be concerned with our positioning for an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament. We also want to continue to play well as we get ready for the A-Sun Tournament."
05-15-2005 07:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

studentfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Crappies

Looks like ya'll will be a perfect fit in the Sun Belt for baseball also and help the conference in the RPI standings. Congrads!
05-16-2005 08:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.