Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How to improve MAC?
Bookmark and Share
NIUFAN84 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

I think that the MAC needs to drop its bottom feeders. I believe that the MAC will lose 3-5 schools to the football attendance rule. It also appears that C-USA might get destoryed by the WAC and Big East. I think the MAC needs to look to conference usa for some new schools. I would like the MAC to take a look at Memphis, Temple, ECU, Southern Miss and USF. Adding those 5 schools and dropping schools like EMU, Ball State, Kent State, Akron and Buffalo would really improve the MAC in both basketball and football. What sort of ideas do you have. I think the team with the best chance of being in the MAC is Temple. What are your thoughts?
07-29-2003 12:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HuronDave Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The MAC
DonatorsCrappiesCrappies

:withstupid: 03-banghead :chair:
07-29-2003 05:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

:newb:
04-nuke

And welcome! 03-wink

Maybe you can explain how dropping Kent would improve basketball in the MAC?
Or maybe not....
07-29-2003 05:58 AM
Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

It's apparent that four MAC schools may be demoted to Division I-AA by 2006.

In light of this -- which is COMMON knowledge -- I completely fail to understand why so many fans insist that the MAC has to HURRY and KICK THESE SCHOOLS OUT RIGHT NOW before the NCAA EVEN GETS A CHANCE TO DO SO.

Does that make any sense at all? .

:withstupid:
07-29-2003 06:08 AM
HuronDave Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The MAC
DonatorsCrappiesCrappies

axeme Wrote::newb:
04-nuke

And welcome! 03-wink

Maybe you can explain how dropping Kent would improve basketball in the MAC?
Or maybe not....
And while attempting to explain that, please also outline how adding Memphis and Temple would improve football. Thank you. :D
07-29-2003 06:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Flash Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State

:snore: :snore: :snore: :snore: :snore: :snore: :snore: :snore: :snore: :snore:
07-29-2003 07:09 AM
Advertisement

rocketfootball Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

I went to the Toledo/Temple game in Philly back in 2001. There were almost as many UT fans as Temple fans there. When they get kicked out of the Big East their attendance is going to take a huge hit and they will struggle to keep DI-A status.
07-29-2003 07:14 AM
DevilGrad Offline
All American

I Root For:

Three questions:

(1) How many times have we done this topic in the last six months?

(2) Anyone got a guess as to how many folks have made their maiden voyage on this board with this very same post?

(3) What's the probability this guy is someone else's sock?

Hey, what can I say, we're a tough crowd. 03-wink
07-29-2003 08:07 AM
Schadenfreude Offline

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

I really don't mean to attack a visitor to our board. I welcome him or her, and hope they post often.

But, man, this subject is so played.
07-29-2003 08:28 AM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

NIUFAN84 Wrote:I think that the MAC needs to drop its bottom feeders. I believe that the MAC will lose 3-5 schools to the football attendance rule. It also appears that C-USA might get destoryed by the WAC and Big East. I think the MAC needs to look to conference usa for some new schools. I would like the MAC to take a look at Memphis, Temple, ECU, Southern Miss and USF. Adding those 5 schools and dropping schools like EMU, Ball State, Kent State, Akron and Buffalo would really improve the MAC in both basketball and football. What sort of ideas do you have. I think the team with the best chance of being in the MAC is Temple. What are your thoughts?
Okay I'll play.

Schools like Memphis, ECU, USM....are going to want to stick together with other southern schools like Tulane, UAB, USF, Houston, Rice, SMU, Tulsa.....before they would even slightly consider joining forces with northern MAC schools. The idea is to create geographic leagues to save travel costs if possible.

Current CUSA TV deal: 11 million
Current WAC TV deal: less than .5 million

Do you really think any schools from CUSA are going to the WAC, when CUSA has better money and exposure, plus better geography for Houston and TCU than the WAC? Then CUSA has more NCAA tourney money and bowl money. Clearly, Tulsa, Rice and SMU would jump to join a sensible geographic league with more money, even if it will be reduced with the departure of UofL and Cinncy.

We better hope that Kent, EMU,Akron, Ball, and Buffalo make the 15k rule. Otherwise the MAC could be cooked if Marshall and UCF join CUSA.

KC
07-29-2003 08:43 AM
David75URS Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

:chair:
Drop Ball U! O.K. Just how many MAC football titles has NIU won? How many MAC basketball titles has NIU won?

Outside of Marshall in football - Ball U has as many and bascially far more titles in these two primary sports than anyone in the MAC in the past twenty-five years. NIU has one MAC football title and maybe one basketball title.

NIU will have a good football team this year - but history is not on their side. Take a look at NIU's recent past in football. Three years ago you wouldn't be on such a high horse - the fall can hurt!

Kennt is weak in football, but has been very good in b'ball. Akron - not sure where I'd place them. Bufallo, oh Buffallo.

But as for me, the MAC is a good conference and getting better. The CARDS have, for most years, been a credit to the MAC. Did I mention that the CARDS are the only team to ever have the #1 draft in professional sports for the MAC - last year Bullington was the #1 draft pick in Major League Baseball -- NOT BAD!!!!
:D
07-29-2003 08:43 AM
Advertisement

DevilGrad Offline
All American

I Root For:

Schadenfreude Wrote:I really don't mean to attack a visitor to our board . . . .
Hell, I do. This is a stupid-****** topic that has been done to death with no apparent productive result.

If you're gonna live up to your new name, you've got to grow a few more calluses over that good-natured heart of yours. Maybe I should send you a law school application. 03-wink
07-29-2003 08:47 AM
SON OF CHIPPEWA ENEMA Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Crappies

Personally, I'm tired of these phuck-puppets coming on here and saying who should go and who should stay, and who should be added. If you're in the MAC (some of us more than once), you're here until you prove to the NCAA otherwise. Now, everybody just shut the phuck up and play ball! :D 04-rock
07-29-2003 08:48 AM
Flying Corn Offline
All American

I Root For: "The" N-I-U

NIUFAN84 Wrote:I think that the MAC needs to drop its bottom feeders. I believe that the MAC will lose 3-5 schools to the football attendance rule. It also appears that C-USA might get destoryed by the WAC and Big East. I think the MAC needs to look to conference usa for some new schools. I would like the MAC to take a look at Memphis, Temple, ECU, Southern Miss and USF. Adding those 5 schools and dropping schools like EMU, Ball State, Kent State, Akron and Buffalo would really improve the MAC in both basketball and football. What sort of ideas do you have. I think the team with the best chance of being in the MAC is Temple. What are your thoughts?
Given that we were THE bottom feeder five years ago, I'm in no hurry to show anyone the door anytime soon. If the NCAA forces us to kick a couple of MAC schools out of div 1-a, then so be it, but it'll be a sad day for the MAC when that happens.

I'm going to guess the 84 in your name doesn't refer to your year of graduation, because if it did, you would surely remember the folly of the mid-80's when, after one decent season, we decided we were going "big time!!". With a whopping one MAC championship under our belt, our AD made the enlightened decision we had outgrown the conference and needed to go independent, with disastrous results.

Point being, the NIU fans who have crawled out of the woodwork in light of our recent success and who are advocating another ill-conceived push to go "big time", need to temper their enthusiasm with a little perspective. Schools like Kent have an athletic tradition which puts ours to shame. It's pretty impertinent for NIU fans, emboldened by our auspicious second place finishes in football and hoops, to be suggesting they should be dumped because they're holding us back from achieving our football destiny.
07-29-2003 08:48 AM
Schadenfreude Offline

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

Good post, Flying Corn.

As for DevilGrad: I want more people here, not less. We shouldn't be mean to each other. Our point has been made; I just wanted to soften it. You catch more flies with sugar, all that.

I should go to law school, though. I've thought about it.
07-29-2003 09:00 AM
DevilGrad Offline
All American

I Root For:

People, sure. Trolls? I'll pass.
07-29-2003 09:16 AM
Advertisement

exCincy Kid Offline
All American

I Root For:

Kit-cat: I thought that although C-USA receives $11mil for their TV deal the individual schools have to "kick in" $1 mil annually for their bowl deals, which pretty much negates the cashflow to a net zero for each school (since C-USA tier II bowls are a break-even proposition at best with the possible exception of the Liberty Bowl).

As for the MAC of the future, first we have to wait and see if Marshall and UCF bolt......if they do, we'll be at 12 football playing schools which should be the max number IMO. It's plausible that we'll lose a couple more schools to the new attendance regs, but they'll likely be probationary periods, etc., so I wouldn't count on schools like EMU or Akron being forced to leave during the immediate future.

Personally, despite the urging of some Herd fans (notably their ESPN exec DSHoe who really seems to love the concept of the Herd joining C-USE, with or w/o UL and UC), I think Marshall will spurn C-USA if UL and UC leave in all sports, and other hoops only schools (i.e. Marquette, St. Louis) also leave. If all the other hoops schools stay in, then the upgrade in hoops may be worth it (vs. the extra travel expense) for Marshall to consider C-USA. First, they have to see if C-USA retains TCU........if the MWC or WAC grab TCU, then C-USA is pretty much finished; however, if they keep TCU and shore up their Texas base with SMU, then they should survive.

As for UCF, they'll leap at a C-USA all sports offer, 'cause geographically it makes sense and would be a huge upgrade for their pretty weak hoops program.
07-29-2003 09:45 AM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

exCincy Kid Wrote:Kit-cat: I thought that although C-USA receives $11mil for their TV deal the individual schools have to "kick in" $1 mil annually for their bowl deals, which pretty much negates the cashflow to a net zero for each school (since C-USA tier II bowls are a break-even proposition at best with the possible exception of the Liberty Bowl).
Good point about CUSA buying its bowls. The WAC would like to do the same but can not afford to. Thats where additional TV money comes into play, it allows payment for additional bowls.

TCU to the WAC? Didn't they just leave it for better oportunities in CUSA? I could see TCU in the Mountain West though, who looks to poach 2 schools out of either the WAC or CUSA so they can hold a championship game. I would select Hawaii and TCU if I were the MWC.

The only teams I envision going to the WAC, are truely WACK ones (UNT, UtahSt, NewMexicoSt).

The Sun Belt will get a Third Degree Burn.

KC
07-29-2003 10:41 AM
CMichFan Offline

I Root For: CMU

Crappies

Quote:Now, everybody just shut the phuck up and play ball!    :D  04-rock

What CE said! 04-bow

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>Fire up Chips!</span></span>
07-29-2003 07:39 PM
BlackNGold Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF

[quote="CMichFan"] [quote]Now, everybody just shut the phuck up and play ball!
07-29-2003 07:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.