Legend

I Root For: Toledo
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

Found this on a WMU message board:

[code:1]June 26, 2004
Punter, 11 recruits missing from Herd roster

By Doug Smock
Staff writer

Punter Klint Rose and 11 recruits are notable omissions from Marshall’s tentative fall roster.

Rose reportedly will not play because of medical reasons. He missed spring practice, citing a number of hip, ankle and other ailments.

That would open up a battle for punting duties with fall between senior Nick Kelly, well-regarded sophomore Ian O’Connor and incoming freshman Marty Biagi. Biagi was recruited as a preferred walk-on, but the number of nonqualifiers could open up a scholarship for him.

Changes are expected on the roster between now and August. For instance, some recruits could gain eligibility with a better SAT or ACT score. Offensive lineman Josh Blakey has been added back to the roster, but he reportedly needs more work in summer school. Blakey was ineligible for spring drills.

Several recruits were expected to be “props,
07-06-2004 03:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HerdKixButt Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

More old news from RF! (you're getting good at that)

anyway.......just because recruits are not listed on this tentative roster doesn't necessarily mean they will be ineligible this year. some may have Clearinghouse issues. Some, such as Jermaine Filer et al were recruited as definite props.
07-06-2004 07:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rocketfootball Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

HerdKixButt Wrote:More old news from RF! (you're getting good at that)
:snore:
07-06-2004 07:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Stick4489 Offline
Gaseous Clay

I Root For: The Herd

CrappiesCrappies

That report is riddled with errors.
07-06-2004 09:01 AM
ex Cincy Kid Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Crappies

Now that the self-imposed ban on recruiting props is over, is Marshall going back to that practice again?? Also, does C-USA have any rules against such recruiting tactics? I'm not aware of any.
07-06-2004 09:45 AM
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest

ex Cincy Kid Wrote:Now that the self-imposed ban on recruiting props is over, is Marshall going back to that practice again?? Also, does C-USA have any rules against such recruiting tactics? I'm not aware of any.
Which will probably fuel the divide between Rice/Tulane and some of the other members.

CUSA should be a guest on Jerry Springer.
07-06-2004 09:54 AM
The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

DrTorch Wrote:
ex Cincy Kid Wrote:Now that the self-imposed ban on recruiting props is over, is Marshall going back to that practice again??  Also, does C-USA have any rules against such recruiting tactics?  I'm not aware of any.
Which will probably fuel the divide between Rice/Tulane and some of the other members.

Marshall seems to always have recruiting "discrempencies" surrounding it.
07-06-2004 09:57 AM
Advertisement

Stick4489 Offline
Gaseous Clay

CrappiesCrappies

Smock got some bad information. There are several errors in his story. Here's just one of them.

<a href='http://www.herald-dispatch.com/2004/July/03/MUspot.htm' target='_blank'>"Hoskins a full academic qualifier"</a>

Marshall hasn't released a 2004 roster on their official website. Apparently, it isn't COMPLETE yet.
07-06-2004 10:32 AM
Stick4489 Offline
Gaseous Clay

CrappiesCrappies

ex Cincy Kid Wrote:Now that the self-imposed ban on recruiting props is over, is Marshall going back to that practice again?? Also, does C-USA have any rules against such recruiting tactics? I'm not aware of any.
Sure they are. And why not? The more the better.

However, the insinuation of that article that 11 of the 21 Herd signees are ineligible is ludicrous.
07-06-2004 10:36 AM
Advertisement

IULurker Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

The Knight Time Wrote:
DrTorch Wrote:
ex Cincy Kid Wrote:Now that the self-imposed ban on recruiting props is over, is Marshall going back to that practice again??  Also, does C-USA have any rules against such recruiting tactics?  I'm not aware of any.

BTW, kudos to UCF! It is my understanding O'Leary has stopped the practice of recruiting props to UCF. This came from a brief blurb in the Sentinel a month or so ago (can't find the article anymore, sorry).
07-06-2004 11:28 AM
knight_01 Offline
1st String

I Root For:

IULurker Wrote:
The Knight Time Wrote:
DrTorch Wrote:

BTW, kudos to UCF! It is my understanding O'Leary has stopped the practice of recruiting props to UCF. This came from a brief blurb in the Sentinel a month or so ago (can't find the article anymore, sorry).
We can only add 1 prop per year. That's legislated by the state of Florida. That rule has been in effect for a while. What we changed were the academic standards. We did not recruit any JUCO players in that signing period but we may add some now. Many of the recruits had GPA's around 3.0 and SAT's of 900 or better. Only 1 of our recruits failed to become a full academic qualifier. Losing only 1 is pretty good.
07-06-2004 11:53 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.